RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Larry Stein

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8951 Post by Larry Stein »

J a y H a c k wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 6:48 pm Thread drift, In Post 8937, there is a photo with 3 bottles of 1943 DRC. All three have too much ullage, with one actually below the neck label. Do people actually buy bottles like that to drink or just to say that they have the bottle? If the latter, I guess I care a bit less about whether they are being scammed. I occasionally buy bottles from my birth year (1951) but not with ullage like that!
I was ITB in the 80s when such bottles were genuine. It wasn't unusual to see fills like that on older bottles of DRC and for the most part, they were just fine. That bottle of La Tâche is pushing it, however.

Jidhin R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8952 Post by Jidhin R. »

Has anyone heard what Rudy's status is, seems very vague on the information the USG provides and why we would let him stay here instead of deportation. I haven't seen any updates in the news in a while but just been curious.
Blips and Chitz!!!

Ramankutty

Patrick Stella

#8953 Post by Patrick Stella »

Don Cornwell wrote: November 19th, 2020, 4:58 am ...TODAY's ACKER HONG KONG "HOLY GRAIL" SALE...
Don,

You should correct this. As I understood looking at the catalogue, this sale took place in NY, not HK--with the caveat of allowances for how sales tend to be "virtual" these days, so I don't think it was in a central venue like a restaurant, as sales used to be.

Was there some marketing material that portrayed this as being in HK, or are you simply mistaken?

Others have been quick to comment and insinuate that a sale being in HK is a damning fact, so your false statement needs to be set right.
ITB -- WineCredit LLC

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8954 Post by Don Cornwell »

Patrick Stella wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:25 am
Don Cornwell wrote: November 19th, 2020, 4:58 am ...TODAY's ACKER HONG KONG "HOLY GRAIL" SALE...
Don,

You should correct this. As I understood looking at the catalogue, this sale took place in NY, not HK--with the caveat of allowances for how sales tend to be "virtual" these days, so I don't think it was in a central venue like a restaurant, as sales used to be.

Was there some marketing material that portrayed this as being in HK, or are you simply mistaken?

Others have been quick to comment and insinuate that a sale being in HK is a damning fact, so your false statement needs to be set right.
Thank you. Yes, I will fix that .
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8955 Post by Don Cornwell »

Jidhin R. wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 8:50 am Has anyone heard what Rudy's status is, seems very vague on the information the USG provides and why we would let him stay here instead of deportation. I haven't seen any updates in the news in a while but just been curious.
Jidhin

I am told that as of Friday evening Rudy was still in the ICE El Paso detention center awaiting deportation.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8956 Post by Alex Valdes »

In related Rudy news, Sour Grapes is no longer on Netflix

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8957 Post by Dennis Borczon »

I can't wait for the sequel. Rudy goes to Hong Kong for Sour Grapes II.

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8958 Post by Alex Valdes »

Dennis Borczon wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:06 pm I can't wait for the sequel. Rudy goes to Hong Kong for Sour Grapes II.
So Sour Grapes 2: Recorked

Victor Hong

#8959 Post by Victor Hong »

Don Cornwell wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 11:38 am
Jidhin R. wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 8:50 am Has anyone heard what Rudy's status is, seems very vague on the information the USG provides and why we would let him stay here instead of deportation. I haven't seen any updates in the news in a while but just been curious.
Jidhin

I am told that as of Friday evening Rudy was still in the ICE El Paso detention center awaiting deportation.
Pray that he is safe from Covid-19. newhere
WineHunter.

Jonathan Grunzweig
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8960 Post by Jonathan Grunzweig »

Alex Valdes wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:08 pm
Dennis Borczon wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:06 pm I can't wait for the sequel. Rudy goes to Hong Kong for Sour Grapes II.
So Sour Grapes 2: Recorked
That is hilarious, sir, well-played!

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8961 Post by Don Cornwell »

David Glasser wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:23 am As disheartening as it is to see this still going on, it is a joy to watch Don at work. The pictures and then the descriptions remind me of the "Can you find the differences?" puzzles in Highlights for Children. This is Highlights for Wine Berserkers. Thank you Don for all the effort you put in to combat counterfeiting, and for the entertainment value.
David

I definitely resemble that remark [blush.gif] , and I definitely used to like those puzzles in Highlights (which they had at my family physician's office). (You and I are dating ourselves since we remember).
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki

John Ammons

#8962 Post by John Ammons »

Don Cornwell wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 7:16 pm
David Glasser wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:23 am As disheartening as it is to see this still going on, it is a joy to watch Don at work. The pictures and then the descriptions remind me of the "Can you find the differences?" puzzles in Highlights for Children. This is Highlights for Wine Berserkers. Thank you Don for all the effort you put in to combat counterfeiting, and for the entertainment value.
David

I definitely resemble that remark [blush.gif] , and I definitely used to like those puzzles in Highlights (which they had at my family physician's office). (You and I are dating ourselves since we remember).
That brings back some memories. Those Highlights puzzles were a big help getting me through the waiting period in the pediatrician's office. I really liked them, but don't remember ever doing them anywhere else.

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8963 Post by Siun o'Connell »

I believe at the time you could not subscribe to Highlights for your home etc so thats the only place you saw them ... I used to beg for old issues.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8964 Post by CJ Beazley »

Siun o'Connell wrote: November 24th, 2020, 8:01 am I believe at the time you could not subscribe to Highlights for your home etc so thats the only place you saw them ... I used to beg for old issues.
Here’s the latest issue!
Attachments
73AA33FA-FD9E-4C6A-821F-E626BD7BFF3C.jpeg
It's C(raig)

Glen Gold
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8965 Post by Glen Gold »

John Ammons wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 9:28 pm
Don Cornwell wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 7:16 pm
David

That brings back some memories. Those Highlights puzzles were a big help getting me through the waiting period in the pediatrician's office. I really liked them, but don't remember ever doing them anywhere else.
I was and will ever be a Goofus.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#8966 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Don highlighted in another article - lots were pulled based on this thread once again

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2020/ ... pect-lots/
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8967 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Just got a new friend suggestion from FB, Rudy Kurniawan.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8968 Post by David Glasser »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: November 27th, 2020, 6:33 pm Just got a new friend suggestion from FB, Rudy Kurniawan.
Fake request?
Fake friend?
Fakebook!

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8969 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

David Glasser wrote: November 28th, 2020, 12:51 pm
Tom G l a s g o w wrote: November 27th, 2020, 6:33 pm Just got a new friend suggestion from FB, Rudy Kurniawan.
Fake request?
Fake friend?
Fakebook!
Spoof account, didn’t know you could have one.

NJBruce

#8970 Post by NJBruce »

Great work, Don. Another one bites the dust!
Nigel Bruce
Hong Kong

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8971 Post by Don Cornwell »

Some sad news for me today. My friend André Devald, a well-known wine journalist in Copenhagen Denmark, passed away last night due to a cerebral hemorrhage. It was completely unexpected and a sad event for those of us who knew him.
André Devald

André and his frequent wine journalism partner René Langdahl Jørgensen have written extensively about counterfeit wines. They broke the story about The White Club, which was featured prominently in this thread -- which put that fraudulent scam out of business. They also wrote stories about Rudy Kurniawan and Denmark's Kristoffer Meier-Axel, the notorious wine merchant (Weinart Denmark and now Nordic Fine Wine ApS) who purchased a large volume of Kurniawan counterfeits and who was one of the four owners of Dragon 8 Auctions in Hong Kong. As you may recall, Kristoffer Meier-Axel was the principal consignor of wines for the fraudulent "Swedish Nobleman's Cellar" auction held by Dragon 8 Auctions in Hong Kong. Dragon 8 is similarly now out of business.

André will be sorely missed.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki

jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8972 Post by jordan jacobs »

Sorry for your loss Don.

Steen T Olsen

#8973 Post by Steen T Olsen »

Don Cornwell wrote: January 13th, 2021, 5:57 pm Some sad news for me today. My friend André Devald, a well-known wine journalist in Copenhagen Denmark, passed away last night due to a cerebral hemorrhage. It was completely unexpected and a sad event for those of us who knew him.
André Devald

André and his frequent wine journalism partner René Langdahl Jørgensen have written extensively about counterfeit wines. They broke the story about The White Club, which was featured prominently in this thread -- which put that fraudulent scam out of business. They also wrote stories about Rudy Kurniawan and Denmark's Kristoffer Meier-Axel, the notorious wine merchant (Weinart Denmark and now Nordic Fine Wine ApS) who purchased a large volume of Kurniawan counterfeits and who was one of the four owners of Dragon 8 Auctions in Hong Kong. As you may recall, Kristoffer Meier-Axel was the principal consignor of wines for the fraudulent "Swedish Nobleman's Cellar" auction held by Dragon 8 Auctions in Hong Kong. Dragon 8 is similarly now out of business.

André will be sorely missed.
Oh no. This makes me really sad. And also quite a shock for my personally as André was too young to go and he was one of my teachers at the Danish Wine Academy when I took my Sommelier exam in 2015. His brilliance and knowledge were near limitless. His fight against wine fraud, with fellow Danish wine aficionado René Langdahl Jørgensen, was legendary, with great results.
Thank you for the good times at the Wine Academy and for the fantastic work you did for both the national and international wine community, André. Rest in peace.
[cheers.gif]

John Danza
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8974 Post by John Danza »

I just got this email from Acker. I'm surprised I'm still on their email list. I took care of that quickly. But I'm pretty surprised at how much business they still do, with their corruption. Perhaps there's some protection moving their auctions to Delaware?

John Danza

A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8975 Post by A. So »

John Danza wrote: January 15th, 2021, 7:30 am I just got this email from Acker. I'm surprised I'm still on their email list. I took care of that quickly. But I'm pretty surprised at how much business they still do, with their corruption. Perhaps there's some protection moving their auctions to Delaware?
HDH moved to DE too. State sales tax reasons was my understanding.
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

John Danza
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8976 Post by John Danza »

A. So wrote: January 15th, 2021, 9:02 am
John Danza wrote: January 15th, 2021, 7:30 am I just got this email from Acker. I'm surprised I'm still on their email list. I took care of that quickly. But I'm pretty surprised at how much business they still do, with their corruption. Perhaps there's some protection moving their auctions to Delaware?
HDH moved to DE too. State sales tax reasons was my understanding.
Makes sense. Sales taxes are getting crazy in a lot of states.
John Danza

Return to “Wine Talk”