RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8851 Post by Don Cornwell » October 17th, 2020, 3:20 am

Wine Spectator published its own article on Friday, October 16. https://www.winespectator.com/articles/ ... icaia-ring The Wine Spectator mostly repeats the details summarized above, but it contains one significant new fact.

Wine Spectator interviewed Priscilla Incisa della Rocchetta, co-owner and family ambassador for Tenuta San Guido, the producer of Sassicaia, who is quoted as stating: ""Thanks to the anti-counterfeiting systems that we use on the bottles, it was possible to immediately recognize them as fakes." So apparently there were some anti-counterfeiting measures that weren't overcome by the look-alike bottles.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8852 Post by Br1an Th0rne » October 17th, 2020, 3:48 am

Don Cornwell wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 3:20 am
Wine Spectator published its own article on Friday, October 16. https://www.winespectator.com/articles/ ... icaia-ring The Wine Spectator mostly repeats the details summarized above, but it contains one significant new fact.

Wine Spectator interviewed Priscilla Incisa della Rocchetta, co-owner and family ambassador for Tenuta San Guido, the producer of Sassicaia, who is quoted as stating: ""Thanks to the anti-counterfeiting systems that we use on the bottles, it was possible to immediately recognize them as fakes." So apparently there were some anti-counterfeiting measures that weren't overcome by the look-alike bottles.
Would be nice if Priscilla shared what those anti-counterfeiting measure are, so consumers could determine if what they are buying (or have already bought) are fakes. I’m sure the counterfeiters would love to have this information also...

Sean S y d n e y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8853 Post by Sean S y d n e y » October 17th, 2020, 7:32 am

Br1an Th0rne wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 3:48 am
Don Cornwell wrote:

Would be nice if Priscilla shared what those anti-counterfeiting measure are, so consumers could determine if what they are buying (or have already bought) are fakes. I’m sure the counterfeiters would love to have this information also...
I'm sure the counterfeiters would like it too!
Instagram: @seansydney

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8854 Post by HoosJustinG » October 17th, 2020, 8:24 am

Jason T wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 2:48 am
HoosJustinG wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 4:43 am
I’m surprised such a sophisticated counterfeiting ring would be dedicated to making fake Sassicaia including fake OWCs and banding.

Frankly, I imagine there’s a much more lucrative market faking premium champagne with all that is sold at bars and clubs to people who have no idea what they’re drinking and only care about the label. It can’t be easy to get fake wine into the supply chain of wine shops and high end restaurants. I’d imagine club owners to be much more amenable/less suspicious to buying outside their normal supply chains than a wine shop owner or grocery store. I guess faking true Champagne is logistically harder due to secondary fermentation, but again, you could probably bottle tank method bubbles and most/all club clientele would have no idea ... and it’s not like it’s an unsolvable mystery that only top champagne houses have figured out. There’s plenty of producers making “traditional method” sparkling wine ... if these folks can figure out perfect Sassicaia OWCs, tissue paper, etc, they can figure that out too...
Damnit, now I’ll always doubt the authenticity of those Ace of Spades jeros I’m sipping and spraying in the club. Well done.
champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif

Those Ace of Spades bottles look expensive - cheaper to fake Dom!
Don Cornwell wrote:

If I were she, I might say this regardless of whether or not it’s true just to get it out there and put some seeds of doubt in the mind of fakers. If fakers think they’ve missed something on Sass bottles, they might move on to another producer.
Last edited by HoosJustinG on October 17th, 2020, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8855 Post by Cris Whetstone » October 17th, 2020, 8:58 am

Jason T wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 2:48 am
HoosJustinG wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 4:43 am
I’m surprised such a sophisticated counterfeiting ring would be dedicated to making fake Sassicaia including fake OWCs and banding.

Frankly, I imagine there’s a much more lucrative market faking premium champagne with all that is sold at bars and clubs to people who have no idea what they’re drinking and only care about the label. It can’t be easy to get fake wine into the supply chain of wine shops and high end restaurants. I’d imagine club owners to be much more amenable/less suspicious to buying outside their normal supply chains than a wine shop owner or grocery store. I guess faking true Champagne is logistically harder due to secondary fermentation, but again, you could probably bottle tank method bubbles and most/all club clientele would have no idea ... and it’s not like it’s an unsolvable mystery that only top champagne houses have figured out. There’s plenty of producers making “traditional method” sparkling wine ... if these folks can figure out perfect Sassicaia OWCs, tissue paper, etc, they can figure that out too...
Damnit, now I’ll always doubt the authenticity of those Ace of Spades jeros I’m sipping and spraying in the club. Well done.
Faking that would run the risk of improving on the original product.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Return to “Wine Talk”