RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 2133
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8951 Post by Larry Stein »

J a y H a c k wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 6:48 pm Thread drift, In Post 8937, there is a photo with 3 bottles of 1943 DRC. All three have too much ullage, with one actually below the neck label. Do people actually buy bottles like that to drink or just to say that they have the bottle? If the latter, I guess I care a bit less about whether they are being scammed. I occasionally buy bottles from my birth year (1951) but not with ullage like that!
I was ITB in the 80s when such bottles were genuine. It wasn't unusual to see fills like that on older bottles of DRC and for the most part, they were just fine. That bottle of La Tâche is pushing it, however.

Jidhin R.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 100
Joined: April 30th, 2020, 6:32 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8952 Post by Jidhin R. »

Has anyone heard what Rudy's status is, seems very vague on the information the USG provides and why we would let him stay here instead of deportation. I haven't seen any updates in the news in a while but just been curious.
Blips and Chitz!!!

Ramankutty

Patrick Stella
Posts: 174
Joined: March 28th, 2012, 1:55 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8953 Post by Patrick Stella »

Don Cornwell wrote: November 19th, 2020, 4:58 am ...TODAY's ACKER HONG KONG "HOLY GRAIL" SALE...
Don,

You should correct this. As I understood looking at the catalogue, this sale took place in NY, not HK--with the caveat of allowances for how sales tend to be "virtual" these days, so I don't think it was in a central venue like a restaurant, as sales used to be.

Was there some marketing material that portrayed this as being in HK, or are you simply mistaken?

Others have been quick to comment and insinuate that a sale being in HK is a damning fact, so your false statement needs to be set right.
ITB -- WineCredit LLC

User avatar
Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1748
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 1:24 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8954 Post by Don Cornwell »

Patrick Stella wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:25 am
Don Cornwell wrote: November 19th, 2020, 4:58 am ...TODAY's ACKER HONG KONG "HOLY GRAIL" SALE...
Don,

You should correct this. As I understood looking at the catalogue, this sale took place in NY, not HK--with the caveat of allowances for how sales tend to be "virtual" these days, so I don't think it was in a central venue like a restaurant, as sales used to be.

Was there some marketing material that portrayed this as being in HK, or are you simply mistaken?

Others have been quick to comment and insinuate that a sale being in HK is a damning fact, so your false statement needs to be set right.
Thank you. Yes, I will fix that .
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

User avatar
Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1748
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 1:24 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8955 Post by Don Cornwell »

Jidhin R. wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 8:50 am Has anyone heard what Rudy's status is, seems very vague on the information the USG provides and why we would let him stay here instead of deportation. I haven't seen any updates in the news in a while but just been curious.
Jidhin

I am told that as of Friday evening Rudy was still in the ICE El Paso detention center awaiting deportation.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 543
Joined: June 22nd, 2020, 12:47 pm
Location: CT
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8956 Post by Alex Valdes »

In related Rudy news, Sour Grapes is no longer on Netflix

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 882
Joined: January 28th, 2011, 2:46 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8957 Post by Dennis Borczon »

I can't wait for the sequel. Rudy goes to Hong Kong for Sour Grapes II.

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 543
Joined: June 22nd, 2020, 12:47 pm
Location: CT
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8958 Post by Alex Valdes »

Dennis Borczon wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:06 pm I can't wait for the sequel. Rudy goes to Hong Kong for Sour Grapes II.
So Sour Grapes 2: Recorked

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 21210
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Location: Banana Republic of ‘Merica
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8959 Post by Victor Hong »

Don Cornwell wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 11:38 am
Jidhin R. wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 8:50 am Has anyone heard what Rudy's status is, seems very vague on the information the USG provides and why we would let him stay here instead of deportation. I haven't seen any updates in the news in a while but just been curious.
Jidhin

I am told that as of Friday evening Rudy was still in the ICE El Paso detention center awaiting deportation.
Pray that he is safe from Covid-19. newhere
WineHunter.

Jonathan Grunzweig
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 295
Joined: July 25th, 2012, 10:06 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8960 Post by Jonathan Grunzweig »

Alex Valdes wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:08 pm
Dennis Borczon wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:06 pm I can't wait for the sequel. Rudy goes to Hong Kong for Sour Grapes II.
So Sour Grapes 2: Recorked
That is hilarious, sir, well-played!

User avatar
Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1748
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 1:24 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8961 Post by Don Cornwell »

David Glasser wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:23 am As disheartening as it is to see this still going on, it is a joy to watch Don at work. The pictures and then the descriptions remind me of the "Can you find the differences?" puzzles in Highlights for Children. This is Highlights for Wine Berserkers. Thank you Don for all the effort you put in to combat counterfeiting, and for the entertainment value.
David

I definitely resemble that remark [blush.gif] , and I definitely used to like those puzzles in Highlights (which they had at my family physician's office). (You and I are dating ourselves since we remember).
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

User avatar
John Ammons
Posts: 1477
Joined: August 3rd, 2011, 10:26 am
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8962 Post by John Ammons »

Don Cornwell wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 7:16 pm
David Glasser wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:23 am As disheartening as it is to see this still going on, it is a joy to watch Don at work. The pictures and then the descriptions remind me of the "Can you find the differences?" puzzles in Highlights for Children. This is Highlights for Wine Berserkers. Thank you Don for all the effort you put in to combat counterfeiting, and for the entertainment value.
David

I definitely resemble that remark [blush.gif] , and I definitely used to like those puzzles in Highlights (which they had at my family physician's office). (You and I are dating ourselves since we remember).
That brings back some memories. Those Highlights puzzles were a big help getting me through the waiting period in the pediatrician's office. I really liked them, but don't remember ever doing them anywhere else.

Siun o'Connell
BerserkerDay Council
BerserkerDay Council
Posts: 6906
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 9:02 am
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8963 Post by Siun o'Connell »

I believe at the time you could not subscribe to Highlights for your home etc so thats the only place you saw them ... I used to beg for old issues.

User avatar
CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 31121
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 6:33 am
Location: Ovilla\Midlothian Texas
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8964 Post by CJ Beazley »

Siun o'Connell wrote: November 24th, 2020, 8:01 am I believe at the time you could not subscribe to Highlights for your home etc so thats the only place you saw them ... I used to beg for old issues.
Here’s the latest issue!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's C(raig)

User avatar
Glen Gold
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 1041
Joined: February 25th, 2014, 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8965 Post by Glen Gold »

John Ammons wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 9:28 pm
Don Cornwell wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 7:16 pm
David Glasser wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:23 am As disheartening as it is to see this still going on, it is a joy to watch Don at work. The pictures and then the descriptions remind me of the "Can you find the differences?" puzzles in Highlights for Children. This is Highlights for Wine Berserkers. Thank you Don for all the effort you put in to combat counterfeiting, and for the entertainment value.
David

I definitely resemble that remark [blush.gif] , and I definitely used to like those puzzles in Highlights (which they had at my family physician's office). (You and I are dating ourselves since we remember).
That brings back some memories. Those Highlights puzzles were a big help getting me through the waiting period in the pediatrician's office. I really liked them, but don't remember ever doing them anywhere else.
I was and will ever be a Goofus.
Avatar = Jeremy from Peep Show.

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 41049
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8966 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Don highlighted in another article - lots were pulled based on this thread once again

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2020/ ... pect-lots/
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9334
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8967 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Just got a new friend suggestion from FB, Rudy Kurniawan.

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8055
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8968 Post by David Glasser »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: November 27th, 2020, 6:33 pm Just got a new friend suggestion from FB, Rudy Kurniawan.
Fake request?
Fake friend?
Fakebook!

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9334
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8969 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

David Glasser wrote: November 28th, 2020, 12:51 pm
Tom G l a s g o w wrote: November 27th, 2020, 6:33 pm Just got a new friend suggestion from FB, Rudy Kurniawan.
Fake request?
Fake friend?
Fakebook!
Spoof account, didn’t know you could have one.

Nigel Bruce
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 364
Joined: October 17th, 2009, 8:09 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8970 Post by Nigel Bruce »

Great work, Don. Another one bites the dust!
Nigel Bruce
Hong Kong

User avatar
Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1748
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 1:24 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8971 Post by Don Cornwell »

Some sad news for me today. My friend André Devald, a well-known wine journalist in Copenhagen Denmark, passed away last night due to a cerebral hemorrhage. It was completely unexpected and a sad event for those of us who knew him.
Image
André Devald

André and his frequent wine journalism partner René Langdahl Jørgensen have written extensively about counterfeit wines. They broke the story about The White Club, which was featured prominently in this thread -- which put that fraudulent scam out of business. They also wrote stories about Rudy Kurniawan and Denmark's Kristoffer Meier-Axel, the notorious wine merchant (Weinart Denmark and now Nordic Fine Wine ApS) who purchased a large volume of Kurniawan counterfeits and who was one of the four owners of Dragon 8 Auctions in Hong Kong. As you may recall, Kristoffer Meier-Axel was the principal consignor of wines for the fraudulent "Swedish Nobleman's Cellar" auction held by Dragon 8 Auctions in Hong Kong. Dragon 8 is similarly now out of business.

André will be sorely missed.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

User avatar
jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 472
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 1:33 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8972 Post by jordan jacobs »

Sorry for your loss Don.

User avatar
Steen T Olsen
Posts: 209
Joined: September 2nd, 2014, 2:18 am
Location: Copenhagen area, Denmark, Europe
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8973 Post by Steen T Olsen »

Don Cornwell wrote: January 13th, 2021, 5:57 pm Some sad news for me today. My friend André Devald, a well-known wine journalist in Copenhagen Denmark, passed away last night due to a cerebral hemorrhage. It was completely unexpected and a sad event for those of us who knew him.
Image
André Devald

André and his frequent wine journalism partner René Langdahl Jørgensen have written extensively about counterfeit wines. They broke the story about The White Club, which was featured prominently in this thread -- which put that fraudulent scam out of business. They also wrote stories about Rudy Kurniawan and Denmark's Kristoffer Meier-Axel, the notorious wine merchant (Weinart Denmark and now Nordic Fine Wine ApS) who purchased a large volume of Kurniawan counterfeits and who was one of the four owners of Dragon 8 Auctions in Hong Kong. As you may recall, Kristoffer Meier-Axel was the principal consignor of wines for the fraudulent "Swedish Nobleman's Cellar" auction held by Dragon 8 Auctions in Hong Kong. Dragon 8 is similarly now out of business.

André will be sorely missed.
Oh no. This makes me really sad. And also quite a shock for my personally as André was too young to go and he was one of my teachers at the Danish Wine Academy when I took my Sommelier exam in 2015. His brilliance and knowledge were near limitless. His fight against wine fraud, with fellow Danish wine aficionado René Langdahl Jørgensen, was legendary, with great results.
Thank you for the good times at the Wine Academy and for the fantastic work you did for both the national and international wine community, André. Rest in peace.
[cheers.gif]

User avatar
John Danza
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1569
Joined: December 4th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Location: Chicagoland
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8974 Post by John Danza »

I just got this email from Acker. I'm surprised I'm still on their email list. I took care of that quickly. But I'm pretty surprised at how much business they still do, with their corruption. Perhaps there's some protection moving their auctions to Delaware?

Image
John Danza

User avatar
A. So
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 3142
Joined: July 19th, 2011, 7:58 pm
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8975 Post by A. So »

John Danza wrote: January 15th, 2021, 7:30 am I just got this email from Acker. I'm surprised I'm still on their email list. I took care of that quickly. But I'm pretty surprised at how much business they still do, with their corruption. Perhaps there's some protection moving their auctions to Delaware?
HDH moved to DE too. State sales tax reasons was my understanding.
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

User avatar
John Danza
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1569
Joined: December 4th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Location: Chicagoland
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8976 Post by John Danza »

A. So wrote: January 15th, 2021, 9:02 am
John Danza wrote: January 15th, 2021, 7:30 am I just got this email from Acker. I'm surprised I'm still on their email list. I took care of that quickly. But I'm pretty surprised at how much business they still do, with their corruption. Perhaps there's some protection moving their auctions to Delaware?
HDH moved to DE too. State sales tax reasons was my understanding.
Makes sense. Sales taxes are getting crazy in a lot of states.
John Danza

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 543
Joined: June 22nd, 2020, 12:47 pm
Location: CT
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8977 Post by Alex Valdes »

**Alert: Over the past week, a fraudster was posing as importer Paul Young on Wine-Searcher**

Last weekend, a list of rare and highly desirable wine at incredible prices (including Leroy, Roumier, Rousseau, DRC, etc) was uploaded to Wine-Searcher (Wine-Searcher has since taken it down). The uploaded list was said to come from LA-based importer Paul Young Fine Wines luring people to contact the fraudster at a fake email: info@pywines.com.

I am aware of a few people who've received bank wiring instructions from this person, but I don't know if anyone has completed a transaction.

This list is NOT from Paul Young Fine Wines (they do not sell retail). If you were in contact with the fraudster, please PM me. The authorities have been contacted.

MikeL238
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 589
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 12:28 pm
Location: NYC
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8978 Post by MikeL238 »

bank wiring instruction should have been an immediate red flag.
Mike Leigh

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 1478
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 2:26 pm
Location: Newtown, PA
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8979 Post by AD Northup »

Alex Valdes wrote: January 28th, 2021, 9:40 am **Alert: Over the past week, a fraudster was posing as importer Paul Young on Wine-Searcher**

Last weekend, a list of rare and highly desirable wine at incredible prices (including Leroy, Roumier, Rousseau, DRC, etc) was uploaded to Wine-Searcher (Wine-Searcher has since taken it down). The uploaded list was said to come from LA-based importer Paul Young Fine Wines luring people to contact the fraudster at a fake email: info@pywines.com.

I am aware of a few people who've received bank wiring instructions from this person, but I don't know if anyone has completed a transaction.

This list is NOT from Paul Young Fine Wines (they do not sell retail). If you were in contact with the fraudster, please PM me. The authorities have been contacted.
This blew up my wine-searcher alerts...I found it odd, but went to the website. Something smelled wrong, so hid the seller and re-set my alerts. Glad to hear my initial feelings were correct.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

IG: adn.wine

2021 WOTY Candidates:
1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires

2020 WOTY:
2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (first RdJ)

2019 WOTY:
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 543
Joined: June 22nd, 2020, 12:47 pm
Location: CT
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8980 Post by Alex Valdes »

AD Northup wrote: January 28th, 2021, 11:49 am
Alex Valdes wrote: January 28th, 2021, 9:40 am **Alert: Over the past week, a fraudster was posing as importer Paul Young on Wine-Searcher**

Last weekend, a list of rare and highly desirable wine at incredible prices (including Leroy, Roumier, Rousseau, DRC, etc) was uploaded to Wine-Searcher (Wine-Searcher has since taken it down). The uploaded list was said to come from LA-based importer Paul Young Fine Wines luring people to contact the fraudster at a fake email: info@pywines.com.

I am aware of a few people who've received bank wiring instructions from this person, but I don't know if anyone has completed a transaction.

This list is NOT from Paul Young Fine Wines (they do not sell retail). If you were in contact with the fraudster, please PM me. The authorities have been contacted.
This blew up my wine-searcher alerts...I found it odd, but went to the website. Something smelled wrong, so hid the seller and re-set my alerts. Glad to hear my initial feelings were correct.
I feel bad for Paul. He’s a nice guy and someone using his name in this way is very bad.

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 7196
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8981 Post by Jim Anderson »

MikeL238 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 10:40 am bank wiring instruction should have been an immediate red flag.
So, you're saying it definitely was not Ray Walker?
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Gareth Welch
Posts: 69
Joined: February 9th, 2012, 9:10 am

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8982 Post by Gareth Welch »

Wherever he lays his hat.

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6484
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8983 Post by Mel Hill »

Mel Hill wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm FYI, yet another show to feature RK. ABC is producing a prime-time show called “The Con” not sure when it will air but they have started working on the Rudy story.

Just heard back from one of the producers, looks like March airdate. Maybe Don has more details?

User avatar
Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1748
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 1:24 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8984 Post by Don Cornwell »

Mel Hill wrote: February 9th, 2021, 1:35 pm
Mel Hill wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm FYI, yet another show to feature RK. ABC is producing a prime-time show called “The Con” not sure when it will air but they have started working on the Rudy story.

Just heard back from one of the producers, looks like March airdate. Maybe Don has more details?
[Updated] Yes, sometime in March. The final date is not set. Right now the best guess is Wednesday March 24th or Wednesday, March 31st
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 602
Joined: January 18th, 2020, 9:30 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8985 Post by HoosJustinG »

Mel Hill wrote: February 9th, 2021, 1:35 pm
Mel Hill wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm FYI, yet another show to feature RK. ABC is producing a prime-time show called “The Con” not sure when it will air but they have started working on the Rudy story.

Just heard back from one of the producers, looks like March airdate. Maybe Don has more details?
Given that Rudy has been released, will this documentary feature any interviews with RK himself?
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

User avatar
Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1748
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 1:24 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8986 Post by Don Cornwell »

HoosJustinG wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:16 pm
Mel Hill wrote: February 9th, 2021, 1:35 pm
Mel Hill wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm FYI, yet another show to feature RK. ABC is producing a prime-time show called “The Con” not sure when it will air but they have started working on the Rudy story.

Just heard back from one of the producers, looks like March airdate. Maybe Don has more details?
Given that Rudy has been released, will this documentary feature any interviews with RK himself?
Rudy has not been released. He is still in ICE custody in New Mexico and not eligible to be interviewed by the news media.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

User avatar
Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1748
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 1:24 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8987 Post by Don Cornwell »

Don Cornwell wrote: February 9th, 2021, 3:17 pm
Mel Hill wrote: February 9th, 2021, 1:35 pm
Mel Hill wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm FYI, yet another show to feature RK. ABC is producing a prime-time show called “The Con” not sure when it will air but they have started working on the Rudy story.

Just heard back from one of the producers, looks like March airdate. Maybe Don has more details?
[Updated] Yes, sometime in March. The final date is not set. Right now the best guess is Wednesday March 24th or Wednesday, March 31st
I finally have an air date for the documentary about Rudy. It is scheduled to air on Wednesday March 24th @ 10p (EST & PST) / 9p Central on ABC News.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 21210
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Location: Banana Republic of ‘Merica
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8988 Post by Victor Hong »

Don Cornwell wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 6:29 pm
Don Cornwell wrote: February 9th, 2021, 3:17 pm
Mel Hill wrote: February 9th, 2021, 1:35 pm


Just heard back from one of the producers, looks like March airdate. Maybe Don has more details?
[Updated] Yes, sometime in March. The final date is not set. Right now the best guess is Wednesday March 24th or Wednesday, March 31st
I finally have an air date for the documentary about Rudy. It is scheduled to air on Wednesday March 24th @ 10p (EST & PST) / 9p Central on ABC News.
https://api.ackerwines.com/irvin-goldman-bio

How separate worlds collide.
Irv Goldman, CEO of Acker Merrall, worked with me at Salomon Brothers, where he repo-financed my bond trading positions. Later, he ran the Interest Rates Trading business at Credit Suisse First Boston, where I was responsible for monitoring his market valuation risks.
WineHunter.

Jürgen Steinke
Posts: 1305
Joined: September 30th, 2009, 6:28 am
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8989 Post by Jürgen Steinke »

Don,

do you think this ABC documentary will be on youtube some time?

User avatar
Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1748
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 1:24 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8990 Post by Don Cornwell »

Jürgen Steinke wrote: March 4th, 2021, 3:34 am Don,

do you think this ABC documentary will be on youtube some time?
I don't know Jurgen. The ABC network is owned by Disney, and I think Disney is fairly protective of their broadcast rights.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

bruce curfman
Posts: 159
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8991 Post by bruce curfman »

Don, I assume you were interviewed extensively for this program...or did they primarily use archival footage? I’m suprised (but pleased) that this story merits another documentary. I thought it had been pretty much fleshed out, unless the aim is just getting it to a wider mainstream audience.

Should we anticipate any new revelations?

User avatar
Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1748
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 1:24 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8992 Post by Don Cornwell »

bruce curfman wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:57 am Don, I assume you were interviewed extensively for this program...or did they primarily use archival footage? I’m surprised (but pleased) that this story merits another documentary. I thought it had been pretty much fleshed out, unless the aim is just getting it to a wider mainstream audience.

Should we anticipate any new revelations?
Bruce:

Yes, I was interviewed extensively for the program, but I haven't seen it, so I can't be sure about the overall content. I did provide some additional information during the interviews but most of the details have been discussed here previously. From what I understand, the ABC documentary will attempt to give a much more accurate picture about the different phases of Rudy's rise and fall -- particularly what happened after the Ponsot auction (April 25, 2008) and before the Spectrum/Vanquish auction (February 8, 2012). The producer of the show, Cara Scaturo, is extremely thorough, has absorbed an immense amount of the relevant details, and has spent the better part of two years working on this.

I understand that many of the same people that you saw in Sour Grapes are also included in the documentary and maybe a few that you didn't see before.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 21210
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Location: Banana Republic of ‘Merica
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8993 Post by Victor Hong »

If wonder if this show will note the unsung enablers to this odious deceit, like John and Allen.

If a bottle of wine smelled like those actors, it would be a DNPIM.
WineHunter.

User avatar
Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1748
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 1:24 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8994 Post by Don Cornwell »

Victor Hong wrote: March 5th, 2021, 11:58 am If wonder if this show will note the unsung enablers to this odious deceit, like John and Allen.

If a bottle of wine smelled like those actors, it would be a DNPIM.
I strongly suspect that John Kapon/Acker and Christie's will get some likely unwanted publicity here.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

bruce curfman
Posts: 159
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8995 Post by bruce curfman »

Thanks, as always, Don! I can’t wait to see it aired!

User avatar
Jerry Hey
Posts: 1495
Joined: January 26th, 2010, 5:16 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8996 Post by Jerry Hey »

Thanks, Don. I'll be watching.

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 21210
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Location: Banana Republic of ‘Merica
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8997 Post by Victor Hong »

Don Cornwell wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:12 pm
Victor Hong wrote: March 5th, 2021, 11:58 am If wonder if this show will note the unsung enablers to this odious deceit, like John and Allen.

If a bottle of wine smelled like those actors, it would be a DNPIM.
I strongly suspect that John Kapon/Acker and Christie's will get some likely unwanted publicity here.
Will Allen "BurgHound" Meadows rate the show, if he deems the contents genuine? No reason to question, of course. newhere [stirthepothal.gif] cheesehead

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142281
WineHunter.

User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4509
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8998 Post by Paul Jaouen »

Victor Hong wrote: March 5th, 2021, 2:08 pm
Don Cornwell wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:12 pm
Victor Hong wrote: March 5th, 2021, 11:58 am If wonder if this show will note the unsung enablers to this odious deceit, like John and Allen.

If a bottle of wine smelled like those actors, it would be a DNPIM.
I strongly suspect that John Kapon/Acker and Christie's will get some likely unwanted publicity here.
Will Allen "BurgHound" Meadows rate the show, if he deems the contents genuine? No reason to question, of course. newhere [stirthepothal.gif] cheesehead

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142281
On and on about Allen. Give it a rest already. Everyone knows what you think by now.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 21210
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Location: Banana Republic of ‘Merica
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8999 Post by Victor Hong »

As for posters here about Acker, John, and Rudy also.
WineHunter.

User avatar
Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1748
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 1:24 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#9000 Post by Don Cornwell »

Don Cornwell wrote: March 5th, 2021, 6:13 am
Jürgen Steinke wrote: March 4th, 2021, 3:34 am Don,

do you think this ABC documentary will be on youtube some time?
I don't know Jurgen. The ABC network is owned by Disney, and I think Disney is fairly protective of their broadcast rights.
Jurgen:

I found out that beginning the following day (so Thursday, March 25) you can stream the show on the ABC website. https://abc.com/shows/the-con This documentary is part of the new ABC documentary series called "The Con." They say the shows are also available on Hulu if you're a subscriber to Hulu.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”