RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Larry Stein

Re: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

#8951 Post by Larry Stein »

J a y H a c k wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 6:48 pm Thread drift, In Post 8937, there is a photo with 3 bottles of 1943 DRC. All three have too much ullage, with one actually below the neck label. Do people actually buy bottles like that to drink or just to say that they have the bottle? If the latter, I guess I care a bit less about whether they are being scammed. I occasionally buy bottles from my birth year (1951) but not with ullage like that!
I was ITB in the 80s when such bottles were genuine. It wasn't unusual to see fills like that on older bottles of DRC and for the most part, they were just fine. That bottle of La Tâche is pushing it, however.

Jidhin R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8952 Post by Jidhin R. »

Has anyone heard what Rudy's status is, seems very vague on the information the USG provides and why we would let him stay here instead of deportation. I haven't seen any updates in the news in a while but just been curious.
Blips and Chitz!!!

Ramankutty

Patrick Stella

#8953 Post by Patrick Stella »

Don Cornwell wrote: November 19th, 2020, 4:58 am ...TODAY's ACKER HONG KONG "HOLY GRAIL" SALE...
Don,

You should correct this. As I understood looking at the catalogue, this sale took place in NY, not HK--with the caveat of allowances for how sales tend to be "virtual" these days, so I don't think it was in a central venue like a restaurant, as sales used to be.

Was there some marketing material that portrayed this as being in HK, or are you simply mistaken?

Others have been quick to comment and insinuate that a sale being in HK is a damning fact, so your false statement needs to be set right.
ITB -- WineCredit LLC

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8954 Post by Don Cornwell »

Patrick Stella wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:25 am
Don Cornwell wrote: November 19th, 2020, 4:58 am ...TODAY's ACKER HONG KONG "HOLY GRAIL" SALE...
Don,

You should correct this. As I understood looking at the catalogue, this sale took place in NY, not HK--with the caveat of allowances for how sales tend to be "virtual" these days, so I don't think it was in a central venue like a restaurant, as sales used to be.

Was there some marketing material that portrayed this as being in HK, or are you simply mistaken?

Others have been quick to comment and insinuate that a sale being in HK is a damning fact, so your false statement needs to be set right.
Thank you. Yes, I will fix that .
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8955 Post by Don Cornwell »

Jidhin R. wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 8:50 am Has anyone heard what Rudy's status is, seems very vague on the information the USG provides and why we would let him stay here instead of deportation. I haven't seen any updates in the news in a while but just been curious.
Jidhin

I am told that as of Friday evening Rudy was still in the ICE El Paso detention center awaiting deportation.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8956 Post by Alex Valdes »

In related Rudy news, Sour Grapes is no longer on Netflix

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8957 Post by Dennis Borczon »

I can't wait for the sequel. Rudy goes to Hong Kong for Sour Grapes II.

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8958 Post by Alex Valdes »

Dennis Borczon wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:06 pm I can't wait for the sequel. Rudy goes to Hong Kong for Sour Grapes II.
So Sour Grapes 2: Recorked

Victor Hong

#8959 Post by Victor Hong »

Don Cornwell wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 11:38 am
Jidhin R. wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 8:50 am Has anyone heard what Rudy's status is, seems very vague on the information the USG provides and why we would let him stay here instead of deportation. I haven't seen any updates in the news in a while but just been curious.
Jidhin

I am told that as of Friday evening Rudy was still in the ICE El Paso detention center awaiting deportation.
Pray that he is safe from Covid-19. newhere
WineHunter.

Jonathan Grunzweig
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8960 Post by Jonathan Grunzweig »

Alex Valdes wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:08 pm
Dennis Borczon wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:06 pm I can't wait for the sequel. Rudy goes to Hong Kong for Sour Grapes II.
So Sour Grapes 2: Recorked
That is hilarious, sir, well-played!

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8961 Post by Don Cornwell »

David Glasser wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:23 am As disheartening as it is to see this still going on, it is a joy to watch Don at work. The pictures and then the descriptions remind me of the "Can you find the differences?" puzzles in Highlights for Children. This is Highlights for Wine Berserkers. Thank you Don for all the effort you put in to combat counterfeiting, and for the entertainment value.
David

I definitely resemble that remark [blush.gif] , and I definitely used to like those puzzles in Highlights (which they had at my family physician's office). (You and I are dating ourselves since we remember).
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki

John Ammons

#8962 Post by John Ammons »

Don Cornwell wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 7:16 pm
David Glasser wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:23 am As disheartening as it is to see this still going on, it is a joy to watch Don at work. The pictures and then the descriptions remind me of the "Can you find the differences?" puzzles in Highlights for Children. This is Highlights for Wine Berserkers. Thank you Don for all the effort you put in to combat counterfeiting, and for the entertainment value.
David

I definitely resemble that remark [blush.gif] , and I definitely used to like those puzzles in Highlights (which they had at my family physician's office). (You and I are dating ourselves since we remember).
That brings back some memories. Those Highlights puzzles were a big help getting me through the waiting period in the pediatrician's office. I really liked them, but don't remember ever doing them anywhere else.

Siun o'Connell
BerserkerDay Council
BerserkerDay Council

#8963 Post by Siun o'Connell »

I believe at the time you could not subscribe to Highlights for your home etc so thats the only place you saw them ... I used to beg for old issues.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8964 Post by CJ Beazley »

Siun o'Connell wrote: November 24th, 2020, 8:01 am I believe at the time you could not subscribe to Highlights for your home etc so thats the only place you saw them ... I used to beg for old issues.
Here’s the latest issue!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's C(raig)

Glen Gold
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8965 Post by Glen Gold »

John Ammons wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 9:28 pm
Don Cornwell wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 7:16 pm
David

That brings back some memories. Those Highlights puzzles were a big help getting me through the waiting period in the pediatrician's office. I really liked them, but don't remember ever doing them anywhere else.
I was and will ever be a Goofus.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#8966 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Don highlighted in another article - lots were pulled based on this thread once again

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2020/ ... pect-lots/
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8967 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Just got a new friend suggestion from FB, Rudy Kurniawan.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8968 Post by David Glasser »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: November 27th, 2020, 6:33 pm Just got a new friend suggestion from FB, Rudy Kurniawan.
Fake request?
Fake friend?
Fakebook!

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8969 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

David Glasser wrote: November 28th, 2020, 12:51 pm
Tom G l a s g o w wrote: November 27th, 2020, 6:33 pm Just got a new friend suggestion from FB, Rudy Kurniawan.
Fake request?
Fake friend?
Fakebook!
Spoof account, didn’t know you could have one.

Nigel Bruce
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8970 Post by Nigel Bruce »

Great work, Don. Another one bites the dust!
Nigel Bruce
Hong Kong

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8971 Post by Don Cornwell »

Some sad news for me today. My friend André Devald, a well-known wine journalist in Copenhagen Denmark, passed away last night due to a cerebral hemorrhage. It was completely unexpected and a sad event for those of us who knew him.
André Devald

André and his frequent wine journalism partner René Langdahl Jørgensen have written extensively about counterfeit wines. They broke the story about The White Club, which was featured prominently in this thread -- which put that fraudulent scam out of business. They also wrote stories about Rudy Kurniawan and Denmark's Kristoffer Meier-Axel, the notorious wine merchant (Weinart Denmark and now Nordic Fine Wine ApS) who purchased a large volume of Kurniawan counterfeits and who was one of the four owners of Dragon 8 Auctions in Hong Kong. As you may recall, Kristoffer Meier-Axel was the principal consignor of wines for the fraudulent "Swedish Nobleman's Cellar" auction held by Dragon 8 Auctions in Hong Kong. Dragon 8 is similarly now out of business.

André will be sorely missed.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki

jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8972 Post by jordan jacobs »

Sorry for your loss Don.

Steen T Olsen

#8973 Post by Steen T Olsen »

Don Cornwell wrote: January 13th, 2021, 5:57 pm Some sad news for me today. My friend André Devald, a well-known wine journalist in Copenhagen Denmark, passed away last night due to a cerebral hemorrhage. It was completely unexpected and a sad event for those of us who knew him.
André Devald

André and his frequent wine journalism partner René Langdahl Jørgensen have written extensively about counterfeit wines. They broke the story about The White Club, which was featured prominently in this thread -- which put that fraudulent scam out of business. They also wrote stories about Rudy Kurniawan and Denmark's Kristoffer Meier-Axel, the notorious wine merchant (Weinart Denmark and now Nordic Fine Wine ApS) who purchased a large volume of Kurniawan counterfeits and who was one of the four owners of Dragon 8 Auctions in Hong Kong. As you may recall, Kristoffer Meier-Axel was the principal consignor of wines for the fraudulent "Swedish Nobleman's Cellar" auction held by Dragon 8 Auctions in Hong Kong. Dragon 8 is similarly now out of business.

André will be sorely missed.
Oh no. This makes me really sad. And also quite a shock for my personally as André was too young to go and he was one of my teachers at the Danish Wine Academy when I took my Sommelier exam in 2015. His brilliance and knowledge were near limitless. His fight against wine fraud, with fellow Danish wine aficionado René Langdahl Jørgensen, was legendary, with great results.
Thank you for the good times at the Wine Academy and for the fantastic work you did for both the national and international wine community, André. Rest in peace.
[cheers.gif]

John Danza
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8974 Post by John Danza »

I just got this email from Acker. I'm surprised I'm still on their email list. I took care of that quickly. But I'm pretty surprised at how much business they still do, with their corruption. Perhaps there's some protection moving their auctions to Delaware?

John Danza

A. So
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8975 Post by A. So »

John Danza wrote: January 15th, 2021, 7:30 am I just got this email from Acker. I'm surprised I'm still on their email list. I took care of that quickly. But I'm pretty surprised at how much business they still do, with their corruption. Perhaps there's some protection moving their auctions to Delaware?
HDH moved to DE too. State sales tax reasons was my understanding.
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

John Danza
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8976 Post by John Danza »

A. So wrote: January 15th, 2021, 9:02 am
John Danza wrote: January 15th, 2021, 7:30 am I just got this email from Acker. I'm surprised I'm still on their email list. I took care of that quickly. But I'm pretty surprised at how much business they still do, with their corruption. Perhaps there's some protection moving their auctions to Delaware?
HDH moved to DE too. State sales tax reasons was my understanding.
Makes sense. Sales taxes are getting crazy in a lot of states.
John Danza

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8977 Post by Alex Valdes »

**Alert: Over the past week, a fraudster was posing as importer Paul Young on Wine-Searcher**

Last weekend, a list of rare and highly desirable wine at incredible prices (including Leroy, Roumier, Rousseau, DRC, etc) was uploaded to Wine-Searcher (Wine-Searcher has since taken it down). The uploaded list was said to come from LA-based importer Paul Young Fine Wines luring people to contact the fraudster at a fake email: info@pywines.com.

I am aware of a few people who've received bank wiring instructions from this person, but I don't know if anyone has completed a transaction.

This list is NOT from Paul Young Fine Wines (they do not sell retail). If you were in contact with the fraudster, please PM me. The authorities have been contacted.

MikeL238
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8978 Post by MikeL238 »

bank wiring instruction should have been an immediate red flag.
Mike Leigh

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8979 Post by AD Northup »

Alex Valdes wrote: January 28th, 2021, 9:40 am **Alert: Over the past week, a fraudster was posing as importer Paul Young on Wine-Searcher**

Last weekend, a list of rare and highly desirable wine at incredible prices (including Leroy, Roumier, Rousseau, DRC, etc) was uploaded to Wine-Searcher (Wine-Searcher has since taken it down). The uploaded list was said to come from LA-based importer Paul Young Fine Wines luring people to contact the fraudster at a fake email: info@pywines.com.

I am aware of a few people who've received bank wiring instructions from this person, but I don't know if anyone has completed a transaction.

This list is NOT from Paul Young Fine Wines (they do not sell retail). If you were in contact with the fraudster, please PM me. The authorities have been contacted.
This blew up my wine-searcher alerts...I found it odd, but went to the website. Something smelled wrong, so hid the seller and re-set my alerts. Glad to hear my initial feelings were correct.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

IG: adn.wine

2021 WOTY Candidates:
1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires

2020 WOTY:
2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (first RdJ)

2019 WOTY:
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8980 Post by Alex Valdes »

AD Northup wrote: January 28th, 2021, 11:49 am
Alex Valdes wrote: January 28th, 2021, 9:40 am **Alert: Over the past week, a fraudster was posing as importer Paul Young on Wine-Searcher**

This blew up my wine-searcher alerts...I found it odd, but went to the website. Something smelled wrong, so hid the seller and re-set my alerts. Glad to hear my initial feelings were correct.
I feel bad for Paul. He’s a nice guy and someone using his name in this way is very bad.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8981 Post by Jim Anderson »

MikeL238 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 10:40 am bank wiring instruction should have been an immediate red flag.
So, you're saying it definitely was not Ray Walker?
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Gareth Welch

#8982 Post by Gareth Welch »

Wherever he lays his hat.

Mel Hill

#8983 Post by Mel Hill »

Mel Hill wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm FYI, yet another show to feature RK. ABC is producing a prime-time show called “The Con” not sure when it will air but they have started working on the Rudy story.

Just heard back from one of the producers, looks like March airdate. Maybe Don has more details?

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8984 Post by Don Cornwell »

Mel Hill wrote: February 9th, 2021, 1:35 pm
Mel Hill wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm FYI, yet another show to feature RK. ABC is producing a prime-time show called “The Con” not sure when it will air but they have started working on the Rudy story.

Just heard back from one of the producers, looks like March airdate. Maybe Don has more details?
[Updated] Yes, sometime in March. The final date is not set. Right now the best guess is Wednesday March 24th or Wednesday, March 31st
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8985 Post by HoosJustinG »

Given that Rudy has been released, will this documentary feature any interviews with RK himself?
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8986 Post by Don Cornwell »

HoosJustinG wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:16 pm

Given that Rudy has been released, will this documentary feature any interviews with RK himself?
Rudy has not been released. He is still in ICE custody in New Mexico and not eligible to be interviewed by the news media.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8987 Post by Don Cornwell »

Don Cornwell wrote: February 9th, 2021, 3:17 pm

[Updated] Yes, sometime in March. The final date is not set. Right now the best guess is Wednesday March 24th or Wednesday, March 31st
I finally have an air date for the documentary about Rudy. It is scheduled to air on Wednesday March 24th @ 10p (EST & PST) / 9p Central on ABC News.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki

Victor Hong

#8988 Post by Victor Hong »

Don Cornwell wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 6:29 pm
Don Cornwell wrote: February 9th, 2021, 3:17 pm

I finally have an air date for the documentary about Rudy. It is scheduled to air on Wednesday March 24th @ 10p (EST & PST) / 9p Central on ABC News.
https://api.ackerwines.com/irvin-goldman-bio

How separate worlds collide.
Irv Goldman, CEO of Acker Merrall, worked with me at Salomon Brothers, where he repo-financed my bond trading positions. Later, he ran the Interest Rates Trading business at Credit Suisse First Boston, where I was responsible for monitoring his market valuation risks.
WineHunter.

Jürgen Steinke

#8989 Post by Jürgen Steinke »

Don,

do you think this ABC documentary will be on youtube some time?

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8990 Post by Don Cornwell »

Jürgen Steinke wrote: March 4th, 2021, 3:34 am Don,

I don't know Jurgen. The ABC network is owned by Disney, and I think Disney is fairly protective of their broadcast rights.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki

bruce curfman

#8991 Post by bruce curfman »

Don, I assume you were interviewed extensively for this program...or did they primarily use archival footage? I’m suprised (but pleased) that this story merits another documentary. I thought it had been pretty much fleshed out, unless the aim is just getting it to a wider mainstream audience.

Should we anticipate any new revelations?

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8992 Post by Don Cornwell »

bruce curfman wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:57 am Don, I assume you were interviewed extensively for this program...or did they primarily use archival footage? I’m surprised (but pleased) that this story merits another documentary. I thought it had been pretty much fleshed out, unless the aim is just getting it to a wider mainstream audience.

Should we anticipate any new revelations?
Bruce:

Yes, I was interviewed extensively for the program, but I haven't seen it, so I can't be sure about the overall content. I did provide some additional information during the interviews but most of the details have been discussed here previously. From what I understand, the ABC documentary will attempt to give a much more accurate picture about the different phases of Rudy's rise and fall -- particularly what happened after the Ponsot auction (April 25, 2008) and before the Spectrum/Vanquish auction (February 8, 2012). The producer of the show, Cara Scaturo, is extremely thorough, has absorbed an immense amount of the relevant details, and has spent the better part of two years working on this.

I understand that many of the same people that you saw in Sour Grapes are also included in the documentary and maybe a few that you didn't see before.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki

Victor Hong

#8993 Post by Victor Hong »

If wonder if this show will note the unsung enablers to this odious deceit, like John and Allen.

If a bottle of wine smelled like those actors, it would be a DNPIM.
WineHunter.

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8994 Post by Don Cornwell »

Victor Hong wrote: March 5th, 2021, 11:58 am If wonder if this show will note the unsung enablers to this odious deceit, like John and Allen.

I strongly suspect that John Kapon/Acker and Christie's will get some likely unwanted publicity here.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki

bruce curfman

#8995 Post by bruce curfman »

Thanks, as always, Don! I can’t wait to see it aired!

Jerry Hey

#8996 Post by Jerry Hey »

Thanks, Don. I'll be watching.

Victor Hong

#8997 Post by Victor Hong »

Don Cornwell wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:12 pm
Victor Hong wrote: March 5th, 2021, 11:58 am If wonder if this show will note the unsung enablers to this odious deceit, like John and Allen.

I strongly suspect that John Kapon/Acker and Christie's will get some likely unwanted publicity here.
Will Allen "BurgHound" Meadows rate the show, if he deems the contents genuine? No reason to question, of course. newhere [stirthepothal.gif] cheesehead

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142281
WineHunter.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8998 Post by Paul Jaouen »

Victor Hong wrote: March 5th, 2021, 2:08 pm
Don Cornwell wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:12 pm

Will Allen "BurgHound" Meadows rate the show, if he deems the contents genuine? No reason to question, of course. newhere [stirthepothal.gif] cheesehead

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142281
On and on about Allen. Give it a rest already. Everyone knows what you think by now.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Victor Hong

#8999 Post by Victor Hong »

As for posters here about Acker, John, and Rudy also.
WineHunter.

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9000 Post by Don Cornwell »

Don Cornwell wrote: March 5th, 2021, 6:13 am
Jürgen Steinke wrote: March 4th, 2021, 3:34 am Don,

I don't know Jurgen. The ABC network is owned by Disney, and I think Disney is fairly protective of their broadcast rights.
Jurgen:

I found out that beginning the following day (so Thursday, March 25) you can stream the show on the ABC website. https://abc.com/shows/the-con This documentary is part of the new ABC documentary series called "The Con." They say the shows are also available on Hulu if you're a subscriber to Hulu.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki

Return to “Wine Talk”