RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Peter Chiu

Re: URGENT WARNING--RUDY KURNIAWAN IS TRYING TO AUCTION MORE WINES

#501 Post by Peter Chiu » February 8th, 2012, 10:46 am

Keith Levenberg wrote:I am frankly shocked that anyone thinks that DRC has any obligation to do anything other than continuing to make great wine. They did not seek out the booming secondary (or tertiary, quaternary, quinary...) auction market for their products, and I see no reason why they would want to enable it by putting the Domaine's imprimatur on certain auction lots (either explicitly by "authenticating" them or implicitly by "inauthenticating" others). I also agree with those who have pointed out that while it is sometimes possible to declare a bottle fake with reasonable certainty, it's never possible to declare an old bottle real with any certainty. There are people who specialize in issuing their opinion on such matters -- I would prefer that DRC specialized in making wine. None of this, of course, is to diminish Don's amazing detective work nor the auction houses' duty to do right by their customers.
Keith [welldone.gif] .

My next question is : will this whole affair hurt DRC ? [wink.gif].

I ask this question because...Lafite is no longer the favourite.

Bruce Leiser_owitz

#502 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » February 8th, 2012, 10:49 am

Chris Sihler wrote:Removing a few suspect lots is unacceptable. All they have done now is admit that there are fraudulent bottles from a consignor, but have only removed the obvious examples. Surely, there are some less obvious examples. They must remove all of the lots by the consignor that provided the suspicious lots.
Chris--Don't forget that Don has reported his conversation with someone at Spectrum who told him a number of questionable lots were pulled even before the catalog was prepared. Again, the public doesn't know who consigned those lots, and whether the same source of those previously-pulled lots was the same as the ones recently withdrawn. Or whether the same consignor still has remaining lots in the auction.

And again, this is on top of the fact that so many of the remaining lots have no description whatsoever of provenance........

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

Peter Chiu

#503 Post by Peter Chiu » February 8th, 2012, 10:52 am

Kevin Shin wrote:I stayed out of this one. If you examined the labels carefully, you can often tell the signs of artificial aging. Also the capsules can provide a lot of clues.
Kevin : when you said - stayed out of this one.

I hope you meant that you astayed out for this auction.

If you are saying that you are staying out for posting in this thread, then may I ask : why ?

Please - let by-gone be by-gone !

You did the noblest and polite thing of withdrawing your threat re tainted glass. [cheers.gif]

Chris Sihler

#504 Post by Chris Sihler » February 8th, 2012, 11:01 am

Eric LeVine wrote:
Don Cornwell wrote:
jasonboland wrote:Just to reiterate the facts from my phone conversation with Don. Rudy is not a consignor in this auction and has not been a consignor with Spectrum since we have started. The London auction is made up of many consignors not just a single consignment and includes wines from all over the world.

All the wine in this auction went through an elevated inspection process by our experts before being placed into the sale.

The wine is also available to be inspected in London by prospective bidders.
I told The Consignment Director that I had looked at the catalog and had spent about three hours doing due diligence -- just on the DRC wines, although I certainly had my doubts about the usual assortment of 45 and 61 Bordeaux with labels with zero oxidation that looked like they might have been printed yesterday. I told him that even with only three hours of work I already had a long list of problems with the DRC lots. I told him that I wanted to go through the list with him verbally, and that I would follow up and send him the list in writing, but that given the problems and given that Rudy was involved, Spectrum had to stop the sale of Rudy's wines and that I wasn't going to take no for an answer.
To me, the scariest thing here is that Don only pointed out issues on the DRC wines, and so in the end Spectrum and Vanquish pulled some DRC wines. What if the same exact scrutiny were applied to every other lot? Without any more information or transparency from Spectrum/Vanquish, it feels like the equivalent of pointing out a fly in a bowl of soup to a waiter, and in return the waiter merely scoops the fly out with a spoon and says "Ok, all good now."

Really???
Exactly.

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#505 Post by Ken V » February 8th, 2012, 11:02 am

Guillaume Deschamps wrote:
JonoBeagle wrote:Ladies and Gents,

Despite Don's observations are superb and thorough, but do not for one minute believe that the auction house has removed them because of Don.

Due to the fact that other similar lots are still in, I am more inclined to believe as is perfectly normal, that the wine has been sold prior to the auction. If it were not, one would expect to see an explanation as to why the were withdrawn and a removal of all photos and information if that were the case.
The story on Decanter says otherwise.
Odd that there is no mention of Berserkers there.
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

Chris Sihler

#506 Post by Chris Sihler » February 8th, 2012, 11:04 am

Does anyone else find it curious that Don hasn't posted in a while?

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#507 Post by Ken V » February 8th, 2012, 11:06 am

Paul Jaouen wrote:
Bill Tex Landreth wrote:As a side note, since the original post, WB has experienced quite the explosion on new member signups. Something like 50+ since this past Saturday. Certainly not coincidence, and I imagine a great percentage of those are from UK based on this thread.
WB is going to have to start accepting sterling donations.
You mean besides your posts and mine? [snort.gif]
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

#508 Post by Jay Carroll » February 8th, 2012, 11:11 am

Chris Sihler wrote:Does anyone else find it curious that Don hasn't posted in a while?
no
I am just a cowboy lonesome on the trail
Lord, I'm just thinking about a certain female

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#509 Post by k s h i n » February 8th, 2012, 11:13 am

Peter,
For the past ten years the fine wine has changed drastically mostly driven by a few individuals and the auction houses. It also helped that there were a couple wine critics who enjoyed the free ride. I pointed this out and got some strong responses a couple years back.

I love matured champagnes but even ten years ago if I were to serve old champagnes most responses were ‘too old’. It only took a few guys to make them desirable hence drastic increases in price and they benefited financially.

I was very critical of putting a great deal of emphasis on provenance of the mega single cellar auctions of those who started the collection less than ten years ago. Some of the wines were bought less than a year before and auctioned at 2 to 3X.

There are a lot of folks with $$$ but not much palate.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#510 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 8th, 2012, 11:14 am

Ken V wrote:

Despite Don's observations are superb and thorough, but do not for one minute believe that the auction house has removed them because of Don.

Due to the fact that other similar lots are still in, I am more inclined to believe as is perfectly normal, that the wine has been sold prior to the auction. If it were not, one would expect to see an explanation as to why the were withdrawn and a removal of all photos and information if that were the case.
I posted a comment, we'll see if it makes it.

Decanter apparently feels they need to post JR's site but not WB - perhaps we can convince them otherwise.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#511 Post by cjsavino » February 8th, 2012, 11:15 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
Dale Bowers wrote:Am I correct that this auction goes off in 30 minutes ?
Starts in 52 minutes.

Can someone please post the link to the live feed? Thank you! [cheers.gif]

http://spectrumwine.com/auctions/livebidding.aspx?
Chris

Guillaume Deschamps
Contributor
Contributor

#512 Post by Guillaume Deschamps » February 8th, 2012, 11:15 am

Chris Sihler wrote:Does anyone else find it curious that Don hasn't posted in a while?
He is busy.
ITB @roumegaire roumegaire.com

billnanson

#513 Post by billnanson » February 8th, 2012, 11:15 am

Keith Levenberg wrote:I am frankly shocked that anyone thinks that DRC has any obligation to do anything other than continuing to make great wine. They did not seek out the booming secondary (or tertiary, quaternary, quinary...) auction market for their products, and I see no reason why they would want to enable it by putting the Domaine's imprimatur on certain auction lots (either explicitly by "authenticating" them or implicitly by "inauthenticating" others). I also agree with those who have pointed out that while it is sometimes possible to declare a bottle fake with reasonable certainty, it's never possible to declare an old bottle real with any certainty. There are people who specialize in issuing their opinion on such matters -- I would prefer that DRC specialized in making wine. None of this, of course, is to diminish Don's amazing detective work nor the auction houses' duty to do right by their customers.
+10
Burgundy Report - online since 2002...

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#514 Post by Ken V » February 8th, 2012, 11:16 am

Maybe he has a J-O-B?

Or maybe he's on a plane to London? Now that he's scared everyone else away, he's going to clean up on those DRC's! [just kidding!]
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek

Mel Hill

#515 Post by Mel Hill » February 8th, 2012, 11:18 am

What makes it curious to you?

steffenpelz

#516 Post by steffenpelz » February 8th, 2012, 11:22 am

Kevin Shin wrote:Peter,
For the past ten years the fine wine has changed drastically mostly driven by a few individuals and the auction houses. It also helped that there were a couple wine critics who enjoyed the free ride. I pointed this out and got some strong responses a couple years back.

I love matured champagnes but even ten years ago if I were to serve old champagnes most responses were ‘too old’. It only took a few guys to make them desirable hence drastic increases in price and they benefited financially.

I was very critical of putting a great deal of emphasis on provenance of the mega single cellar auctions of those who started the collection less than ten years ago. Some of the wines were bought less than a year before and auctioned at 2 to 3X.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Carole Meredith
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#517 Post by Carole Meredith » February 8th, 2012, 11:24 am

7:30 pm London time, according to the Spectrum website.
Carole Meredith
Lagier Meredith Vineyard
Mount Veeder, Napa

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#518 Post by Matt Latuchie » February 8th, 2012, 11:24 am

Gavin's begun his live updates from the auction via his Twitter account - @pigeage
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Justin W ells

#519 Post by Justin W ells » February 8th, 2012, 11:28 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Ken V wrote:
Guillaume Deschamps wrote: The story on Decanter says otherwise.

Does anyone have access to Jancis Robinson's article, where she apparently 'reposted' the information from this thread? I sincerely hope she had the decency to post her source as well. Decanter apparently feels they need to post JR's site but not WB - perhaps we can convince them otherwise.
She sites Don as the source. It may have been posted here, but Don is ultimately the source.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#520 Post by J a y H a c k » February 8th, 2012, 11:29 am

How many other have signed up to watch and listed WineBerserkers as the source of the referral?
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#521 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 8th, 2012, 11:32 am

Justin W ells wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Ken V wrote: Odd that there is no mention of Berserkers there.

Does anyone have access to Jancis Robinson's article, where she apparently 'reposted' the information from this thread? I sincerely hope she had the decency to post her source as well. Decanter apparently feels they need to post JR's site but not WB - perhaps we can convince them otherwise.
She sites Don as the source. It may have been posted here, but Don is ultimately the source.
This is bullshit, frankly. The source is found here - Don posted it, and Decanter needs to give credit as Jancis has
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#522 Post by Andrew Hall » February 8th, 2012, 11:32 am

Matt Latuchie wrote:Gavin's begun his live updates from the auction via his Twitter account - @pigeage
Yikes, just spoke to Kevin of #Spectrum re provenance and got blanked! He's now talking to security #beenthrownoutofworsepartys
Awesome!

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#523 Post by Matt Latuchie » February 8th, 2012, 11:32 am

WOW....

this was just posted by Gavin
"Yikes, just spoke to Kevin of #Spectrum re provenance and got blanked! He's now talking to security #beenthrownoutofworsepartys"
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#524 Post by Peter Kleban » February 8th, 2012, 11:35 am

Matt Latuchie wrote:WOW....

"Yikes, just spoke to Kevin of #Spectrum re provenance and got blanked! He's now talking to security #beenthrownoutofworsepartys"
Well clearly Gavin poses an extreme danger...

Dana B.
Contributor
Contributor

#525 Post by Dana B. » February 8th, 2012, 11:37 am

J a y H a c k wrote:How many other have signed up to watch and listed WineBerserkers as the source of the referral?
I listed 'other' as the referral, but I have a message on my screen that says internet bidding is suspended. Anyone else have this?
Birch

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#526 Post by J a y H a c k » February 8th, 2012, 11:37 am

I cannot tell if I am having computer access problem or the site has just crapped out, but I am getting an Internet Bidding Suspended message on Lot 1. The top bid on Lot 1 has not changed in a long time.

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

J a y C a i n

#527 Post by J a y C a i n » February 8th, 2012, 11:38 am

Dana B. wrote:
J a y H a c k wrote:How many other have signed up to watch and listed WineBerserkers as the source of the referral?
I listed 'other' as the referral, but I have a message on my screen that says internet bidding is suspended. Anyone else have this?
Yep

Justin W ells

#528 Post by Justin W ells » February 8th, 2012, 11:38 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:This is bullshit, frankly. The source is found here - Don posted it, and Decanter needs to give credit as Jancis has
Do you know for certain that Don didn't send his findings out via email personally? Not disagreeing with you, just seems like something he might have been inclined to do. I'm sure his first thought was to get the information out as broadly as possible, not make sure the world knew it was first posted on WB...
Last edited by Justin W ells on February 8th, 2012, 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lou Recupero

#529 Post by Lou Recupero » February 8th, 2012, 11:39 am

Matt Latuchie wrote:WOW....

How dare he ask about provenance...what does that have to do with anything at a fine wine auction?

SteveC

#530 Post by SteveC » February 8th, 2012, 11:40 am

Dana B. wrote:I listed 'other' as the referral, but I have a message on my screen that says internet bidding is suspended. Anyone else have this?
+1
Ste ve C o yl e
""Too Much Wine, Too Little Time"
"Life is Too Short to Drink Bad Wine."
"Damn You GC, You Have Cost Me Loads of Money by Introducing Me to This Obsession!!"

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#531 Post by J a y H a c k » February 8th, 2012, 11:41 am

Dana B. wrote:
Looks like we have the same problem - and I just shut down and re-entered. Still down. Maybe they got Squirrel's list of banned people and decided to ban everyone on that list.

Claude Kolm

#532 Post by Claude Kolm » February 8th, 2012, 11:42 am

Ken V wrote:

Not the first time that they have learned of something on this board and reposted without attribution. I have been contacted in the past by Decanter about news that I posted here and that Decanter reposted with no attribution, so I know of what I speak.
Last edited by Claude Kolm on February 8th, 2012, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
the-fine-wine-review.blogspot.com

Berry Crawford

#533 Post by Berry Crawford » February 8th, 2012, 11:43 am

PigeageGavin Monery
I'm in the room! Lots of cashed up punters keen to bid. It seems #winebeserkers and JR don't hold much sway here. #ifonlytheyknew
47 seconds ago FavoriteRetweetReply

PigeageGavin Monery
Yikes, just spoke to Kevin of #Spectrum re provenance and got blanked! He's now talking to security #beenthrownoutofworsepartys
11 minutes ago

PigeageGavin Monery
Oh, and no one here has heard of this Rudy fellow...
21 minutes ago
Last edited by Berry Crawford on February 8th, 2012, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dana B.
Contributor
Contributor

#534 Post by Dana B. » February 8th, 2012, 11:43 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
Dana B. wrote:
Looks like we have the same problem - and I just shut down and re-entered. Still down. Maybe they got Squirrel's list of banned people and decided to ban everyone on that list.
It's active now, but still no video or audio.
Birch

Peter Chiu

#535 Post by Peter Chiu » February 8th, 2012, 11:45 am

steffenpelz wrote:
Kevin Shin wrote:Peter,

Wholeheartedly agree.

+ 2.

One of my wine friends in Montreal spoke highly of you, special your palate ( = blinlding tasting ability [cheers.gif] ).

J a y C a i n

#536 Post by J a y C a i n » February 8th, 2012, 11:46 am

I've got video & audio

Guillaume Deschamps
Contributor
Contributor

#537 Post by Guillaume Deschamps » February 8th, 2012, 11:46 am

Re: Decanter, there is a comment on one article with a link to this thread. I replied asking why Decanter didn't cite their source in the first place. I always left another comment on another article linking back to here. Let's see if they get moderated.
ITB @roumegaire roumegaire.com

SteveC

#538 Post by SteveC » February 8th, 2012, 11:47 am

Lots 67-74 withdrawn - no reason given

First lot just sold 1981Krug Collection for charity ;)
Ste ve C o yl e
"Damn You GC, You Have Cost Me Loads of Money by Introducing Me to This Obsession!!"

Ed Murray
GCC Member
GCC Member

#539 Post by Ed Murray » February 8th, 2012, 11:48 am

Justin W ells wrote: I'm sure his first thought was to get the information out as broadly as possible, not make sure the world knew it was first posted on WB...
Well then, I think Don needs to work on his priorities! [wow.gif] neener
It's not the event, it's the reaction to the event!

Tom Mann

#540 Post by Tom Mann » February 8th, 2012, 11:49 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
This is bullshit, frankly. The source is found here - Don posted it, and Decanter needs to give credit as Jancis has
Todd

Jancis's first post in the thread gives the text of an email she has received (Don's first post), in the second post directly underneath she provides a link and names WineBeserkers.
(back ITB)

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#541 Post by J a y H a c k » February 8th, 2012, 11:50 am

It's up live with video and audio!!!!!!!!!!!

CHris Hambleton

#542 Post by CHris Hambleton » February 8th, 2012, 11:50 am

67 -74 also withdrawn...

jordan whitehead

#543 Post by jordan whitehead » February 8th, 2012, 11:50 am

i have audio and video.

appears to be richard brierley as auctioneer
www.annaswish.org

Chris Sihler

#544 Post by Chris Sihler » February 8th, 2012, 11:51 am

Mel Hill wrote:

What makes it curious to you?
I just suppose that he must be neck-deep into this by now, and am wondering what his thoughts are. Also wondering if this hasn't stepped into the legal realm with attorneys' demands flying about.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#545 Post by J a y H a c k » February 8th, 2012, 11:51 am

Does anyone have the lot #s of Don's questionable lots handy?

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#546 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 8th, 2012, 11:51 am

Guillaume Deschamps wrote:Re: Decanter, there is a comment on one article with a link to this thread. I replied asking why Decanter didn't cite their source in the first place. I always left another comment on another article linking back to here. Let's see if they get moderated.
My comment was submitted 20 minutes ago - still not posted. I'm guessing they won't post either of ours.

jordan whitehead

#547 Post by jordan whitehead » February 8th, 2012, 11:52 am

what lot # is the case of Wonka Bars ?
www.annaswish.org

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#548 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 8th, 2012, 11:54 am

Berry Crawford wrote:PigeageGavin Monery
I'm in the room! Lots of cashed up punters keen to bid. It seems #winebeserkers and JR don't hold much sway here. #ifonlytheyknew
47 seconds ago FavoriteRetweetReply
I figured as much. Fortunately this thread will exist AFTER the auction is over, and if any of those eager bidders wants to take a look at the information Don uncovered, they are welcome to do so...then the hitsfan

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#549 Post by J a y H a c k » February 8th, 2012, 11:56 am

La Tache 1971 - Lot 12 - withdrawn.

SteveC

#550 Post by SteveC » February 8th, 2012, 11:58 am

DRC is selling above values!!! #PTBarnumisproud
Ste ve C o yl e

Return to “Wine Talk”