Recommendations for Napa visit in May

My wife and I and another couple or going to Napa again in May. Our group has a preference for Cabs that typically drives our visit schedule. I am looking for recommendations for new wineries not previously visited. Some of the wineries we’ve discussed for this visit include:

Chappellet
Paradigm
Chateau Montelena

Our previous visits included:

Phelps
Opus
Cardinale/Lokoya
Spring Mountain
Shafer
Caymus
Duckhorn
Anderson’s Conn Valley
Cakebread
Nickel & Nickel
Von Strasser
Jarvis
Hall
Staglin

and most of the walk-in wineries such as:

Silver Oak
Stags Leap
Pine Ridge
Chimney Rock
Whitehall
Mondavi
Rubicon

I am looking for feedback on the three three wineries we are considering and suggestions for other wineries with cab based offerings that would be recommended stops.

Also, if anyone has any questions about any of the wineries we’ve previously visited, I don’t have detailed notes, but would be glad to share my recollections.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

David Arthur

Fisher, Pride, Paloma, Ladera

I’d spend a day on Spring Mountain at:
Barnett
Pride
Terra Valentine

If you’re headed to Sonoma, visit Audelssa’s tasting room in Glen Ellen

Ladera on Howell Mountain

And though I have not been thee, friends love Darioush

I would avoid darioush. The Groth/Darioush/Plumpjack tasting rooms, while conveniently located next door to each other, are super-commercial in-and-out places that generally have piss-poor customer service (or at least have in my experience, but hey, who thinks a 28 year old is going to know a damn thing about wine, or have $ to buy it).

Like Chad, I would recommend Pride, which is usually a very nice tasting experience. Also see if you can get into some smaller places…like maybe Chateau Boswell, Jones Family, Myriad/Quivet, etc.

Also, if you go into Napa City for dinner in their fun little riverside area, consider popping into Robert Craig’s tasting room. Their 2007s and 2008s are great.

Alpha Omega. Nice wines, you can just walk in.

Robert Sinskey: Biodynamic, elegant, food friendly wines… another walk in.

Elyse: big Zins and Syrahs… need appt, but usually you can get it when you want.

My two new favorite…1) Blankiet, located above Dominus’ Napanook Vineyard. Very intimate, beautiful caves and the tasting room in Claude’s personal home is spectacular. 2) Morlet Family Winery, former Peter Michael winemaker and is opening a new winery in St. Helena. IMHO, these two are making some of the best Napa cabs today! Expensive, yes, but you pay for quality! Plus, I like the intimate tastings, can’t stand the cattle-drive, Disney-tour experiences.

I always recommend Larkmead. For an example of their tastings - my avatar is my wife and I in the rocking chairs overlooking the vineyards at Larkmead.

Outpost and Pride. Pride is always one of our stops and if you go, go in the morning and take a picnic lunch to enjoy with a bottle. They have a stunning picnic spot.

Kapscandy

Pahlmeyer

Viader

Cade

Spottswoode

Seven Stones

Outpost is awesome, but it’s a long drive up that mountain. Maps don’t tell the story.

Alpha Omega is nice and the wine is great. I gotta meet Jean one of these days, but he’s around here, always inviting people to taste with him, and by all accounts a fabulous host.
Trespass. Great wines. Donnie is kool, need an appt there.

That’s kinda it for me so far. I don’t like anything else. Silverado has a nice view.

I was at Chappellet and Chateau Montelena in August. Chappellet is a great visit, and a beautiful drive. Chateau Montelena was a bit touristy, although it was our favorite Chardonnay of the trip. We went to Paradigm a few years ago. Nice wines, nice people. What I remember most about that visit, though, was another guy in the tasting room showing everyone pictures of his wine cellar the way a proud dad would show off pictures of his kids. My recollection - which may be apocryphal - is that it was set up in his living room.

I second the recommendations for Larkmead, Outpost, and Alpha Omega. Larkmead makes fantastic wine - probably the consensus favorite of our August trip - and the property is lovely. The view from Outpost’s patio is stunning. We visited a couple wineries up that way (including Ladera, which someone mentioned upthread). Set up a visit at Alpha Omega through their winemaker Jean, who posts on this board. They’ll take good care of you.

I agree about Spring Mtn. While up there see if you can get an appt with Philip Togni, great wine. Terra Valentine is beautiful. Pride is an awesome tour/tasting.

If you go to Howell Mtn, consider O’Shaughnessey, Cade, Seavey.

+1 and after Outpost visit O’Shaughnessy and, time permitting, Neal. David Arthur ( David Long) is fun, but be ready for a party.

+1 on Larkmead. Great wine, interesting blends and a fun t. Friuli too. Many accessible price points. Set in a vineyard and surrounded by vineyards, not other tasting shacks, so it seems calmer and quieter.

As to the three wineries you wanted to see and know about. I would agree that Montelena is touristy (is that how you spell it), but the grounds alone make it worth the visit. Unless you splurge on the reserve tasting, the regular tasting is pricey for what you get and I don’t think you even get the Estate Cab.

I’ve heard great things about the other two but since I haven’t been, I cannot give opinions.

As for other wineries, I would not miss Alpha Omega, and I would see if Mike Smith can meet with you. If not, and you are in St. Helena, pop into the Tamber Bey tasting room. If you like Cab, contact Jennifer Lamb of Herb Lamb and Merrill Lindquist of Black Cat, and if you venture to Sonoma, be sure to visit Sojourn. Another wonderful winery if you have it in your budget would be to see if Realm has any wine to taste, and while there, schedule an appointment with Josh of Chateau Boswell. A very nice cave tasting.

Last summer we had a wonderful trip and of the 12 wineries we visited Montelena was my least favorite. The grounds/gardens are beautiful, but the tasting is very simple and forgettable. I really like meeting with the wine maker, barrel samples, getting to know the heart of the wine. With that in mind there are 3 that stand out to me:

Myriad/Carter (Envy in Calistoga): Mike Smith is the wine maker for both. He is very passionate about the wines and it is 100% cab based. You would most likely have a chance to try Quivet and 12c, all are at the winery.

MacCauley: Met with Mac at Venge and the 2009 and 2010 To-Kalon will compete with anyone.

Lewelling: Met with David Wight (owner) and it was unique because they are a grower that also produces wine. The majority of the grapes are purchased by Caymus. Their 2008 is one of the best full bodied cabs I’ve tasted. We met him in the old family house on the property, where he grew up.

Others to consider: Chateau Boswell (Realm is also there) and Robert Foley (if you can get in)

My sincere thanks to everyone that responded. This board is an incredible resource.

Michael,

These are my favorite places to visit.

Myriad/Quivet - Mike Smith (Winemaker)

Kapscandy

Outpost

If you hit SM and then continue to Sonoma, you should definately hit Fisher on the way down the mountain. Just on the other side of the Mayacamas from Barnett/Pride, this is an old school family operation with great wine and a beautiful, unique property. Tasting by appointment only, but well worth it IMHO.