Two 2009 Kutch Pinots - El Yummo!

Over four days I tasted the 2009 Kutch McDougall and Falstaff Pinot Noirs.
For each wine, I drank half one day, the rest the second day.

1) 2009 Kutch “McDougall Ranch” PN - 13.9% alcohol
Medium-dark crimson red. Fine nose of pine sap, raw meat, red fruits and face powder.
Structured, primary, floral, VERY SPICY black raspberry fruit entry led to a long lipsmackin’ chocolate cherry finish.
This is one of the purest, luscious Pinot fruit I’ve encountered in a while. And the spice component is as intense as it gets.
My only wish was this had a bit more minerality, but that component could be somewhat masked by the intense spice.
The good acid and tannin levels bodes well for continued improvement over the next 4-8 yrs.
This really didn’t change that much on day two.
Congrats are due ti Da Kutch-Mon for this fine, fine effort! [worship.gif]
For now, because it’s still young [93+ pts], with possible upgrade in a few.

2) 2009 Kutch “Falstaff” PN - 13.2% alcohol
Medium-dark purple red. Fine nose of cassis, earth and a touch of sweet oak.
Structured, elegant, minerally, spiced red fruits. (Tho not near the Spice Monster the Mac is)
Again, quite pure with a nice long aftertaste. Again, good acid and tannin assures future development.
Totally different from the McDougall (As indeed, it should be). Reminds me of a first class Cote de Beaune.
I actually prefer it at this juncture due to it’s minerality and less primary character, but I think the Mac will outshine it with time.
It closed up somewhat on day two. Another great effort! [92+ pts]

I’ve known Kutch since he first landed in CA.
He has worked hard, determined his vision of the type of PN he stands for, and with the 2009 vintage has begun to reach that dream!
We should anticipate great things from this winery in the future.
Bravo JK!!!

TTT

I like both of these quite a bit.
The 09 McDougall might be Jamie’s best to date.

The McDougall is packed and stacked! Based on trying a sample last spring, I’ve resolved not to touch any of my few bottles for several years. Of the 2009’s, the Savoy is my favorite for nearer term consumption (not that it couldn’t benefit from some time).

Paul, have you by chance tried any of the 2010’s?

In the future? He is doing it now from what I can see

You are all patriots for the cause, sampling the wines this early out! My deep thanks, I am nothing but encouraged, but I am stashing away my McDougalls and Falstaffs for a while. Good to see that you’re happy about them, Testy, and you as well, Don. Of the McDougall’s, I’ve only tried one bottle of my 2006 thus far and even that was too early (a year and a half ago).

The 09 Anderson Valley, tried about 2 months ago, was delicious.

Mike

I’m keeping these two out of sight for now. Even an extra year will do it right.
Gotta work on the 09 SC and couple 07’s first…

2009 Falstaff just fantastic domestic PN tonight, Explosive dark cherry tartness and decent length, nose a mix of earthen clay and sweet Spring air. Just a bravo effort at age twelve.

The future is now.

That’s great to hear, Doc—I have my last one lined up for next year as part of a full vertical. Frank–love the new avatar!!