Sauternes Hunter: 2003 De Fargues (750ml) $39.99

Priced about the same as most half bottles on WS Pro and the cheapest full bottle by $20. Yes, it is the 2003 vintage but one of the better 2003s IMO.

@ K&L

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1084582

This was the wine that got me into Sauternes, and I’ll always love it for that.

From the 2003 Sauternes that I’ve tried, I think the Fargues is #2 behind Yquem. I think the Yquem and the Fargues are the only wines in 2003 that really show enough acidity (although I still love the others), and I’ve been convinced that the 03 Fargues is underpriced. This is certainly the lowest I’ve seen it priced in the last few years.

As usual, this board tends to open my wallet up when it really needs to stay shut, but this is quite a deal - $40 for a 750mL. Love the 2003’s for what they are, just lush, open and ready for business [let you mind drift to whatever analogy it wants at this point!]

Thanks for the heads up, I had to get 3

At that price it’s a steal. Being Yquem’s little sister it never surprises me when, in a great year, it out shines virtually everyone else bar the former.

That was quick. All sold out now.

I thought about this last night, noticed that $39.99 is the same price for the 750 & 375, saw 38 bottles in stock and decided to sit on it. By morning stock was down to 20 so I grabbed a few. [cheers.gif]

they had about 4 cases when the offer came out last night, surprised it took this long to sell out

I expect to see a lot of notes posted here!

It’s drinking very well now. (I last tried it about 4 months ago from half.)

Does anyone happen to know where these bottles came from? Were they ex-chateau? For some reason the 2003 Fargues has been half the price of other vintages, even aside from this deal. Given price increases in the 2009 vintage, these prices look even better.

Thanks for the heads up. Ordered a few this morning and picked them up this afternoon.

Great price. Back in 2004 I paid $49.99 from PC.

Have you received them yet?

neener

Got mine from K&L today. Bottles still in tissue and imported by Wine Warehouse of LA back labels. I wonder if these are ex chateau or private cellar. You would think that if these were ex chateau they would come from France and then funnel through their main warehouse. These came directly from the LA store so maybe a private collector in LA?

Makes sense. I’m wondering what kind of private collector buys 4+ cases of an excellent but not investment-grade (ie. Yquem) sauternes, stores them for a few years, then sells them.

Saw this too late so I got on the waiting list. Thanks for the heads up.

Picked up mine today. Color looks excellent, fill is perfect, capsules spin. They look like stellar bottles! I’m going to try one in the next few weeks. I’ll post a note.

Awesome, I’d like to know how they are drinking.

They are excellent. If you picked up at least 3-4, I would open one up soon! They are young but so delicious.

• 2003 Château de Fargues - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (2/3/2012)
    From a 750. Gold-orange color; nose has lovely tropical fruits/pineapple, a bit waxy, citrus hints; palate shows explosive flavors throughout the palate with dense tropical fruits, peach, great balancing acidity throughout but especially noticeable as a bit of a tingle in the midpalate and finish, some very early caramel notes that round out the palate flavors; finish is moderate length, balanced, fruity. Of note, the acidity on this wine is very good, especially given the vintage, but it is simply balanced… not over-the-top racy acidity that I love in the 03 Yquem. That gives the Yquem an edge this vintage, though Fargues is still a phenomenal sauternes with great balance and complexity of flavors. Still very young and premature (younger than from halves) but so delicious that I can’t stop popping corks. A great deal from K&L and stored very well. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Aaaaahhhh, I was expecting that. Around 2005 or so. BTW, I got my first 2009 Bordeaux yesterday!