Best $20 Rioja

Suggestions? Must be available via wine searcher for +/- $20. Looking for reds, but would entertain whites as well. Traditional preferred over modern. TIA.

1 Like

Bodegas Hermanos Pecina (Joven, Crianza)
Bodegas Corral Don Jacobo (Crianza, Riserva)
Lopez de Heredia Rioja Crianza Cubillo

Don’t know if these are easily available in the US but :

Faustino Reserva
Ijalba
Baron de Ley Reserva
Coto de Imaz Reserva

1 Like

Legarda Crianza
Marques de Murrieta Reserva

Vina Tondonia Cubillo, although it could be a shade more than $20. I’d be curious to know if anyone thinks Marques de Riscal Reserva is traditional enough—I’d say it is a bit of a tweener. That can be had in the mid-teens $$ and the '04 and '05 were both good, IMO

1 Like

I think tweener is a good description, but I find it lacking. A real “nowhere” wine. If you’re going to do a modern Rioja (and having been to the MdR winery, it’s about as modern as it gets), just do it.

I paid $17 for a HALF bottle of 2005 (Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia
Viña Cubillo Crianza 2005). Is that too much?

Sorry, just looked on winesearcher and see that it’s a high price. Tho it was a few months ago…

I like the La Rioja Alta “Vina Alberdi” Reserva. It’s $20.

Second the Pecina Joven, but have only had the 2009. It’s fabulous for $15.

The Pecina Crianza has been good too at $20. Loved the 2000, was surprised to not love the 2003. The 2003 was just a bit too tart. Now that I think of it, I need to try another bottle – it may have integrated a bit more by now.

Scott

Bump your budget up by $8 and head over to Thomas Liquors or Hennepin & Lake and pick up some Heredia Rerserva. Think both carry some blanco as well. Both are stellar for the price point.

I used to sell Montecillo and they made very nice traditional Rioja, Crianza thru Gran Reserva.

1 Like

For under $25 per, hard to beat the entry level RLdH lineup (but I’ll admit to being completely biased):

2005 Cubillo (red)
2002 Gravonia (white)
2000 Tondonia (rose)

Even if you try them and they aren’t your “thing”, you won’t find more interesting wines at that price point…

Michael

Valdemar reserva 04 $17.99, agree on cubillo, we had 04 under $25

While it does not have the depth or complexity of the pricier Rioja, the 05 Vina Santurnia Rioja Reserva is delicious and great QPR for around $15…

Bruce

I tried some Crianza at a LWS tasting a few years ago and thought it was a great value. But after buying a few, I thought they had a bad problem with corked bottles… maybe some lots that were corked from the winery? Did you ever experience this?

Pay $2-3 more and get the Muga Reserva, although it can take 5+ years to drink well in strong vintages.

The 2000 Lopez de Heredia Gravonia Blanco is great, great stuff. Needs a few hours of air, though.

Also like the Pecina wines a lot.

I seem to remember having to return a pallet or two at some point that had bad batch of corks, but we replaced all the wine that went out with new stock from different lots. Other than that, no.

I paid $17 for a HALF bottle of 2005 (Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia
Viña Cubillo Crianza 2005). Is that too much?

Hello I am Spanish, La Rioja area and would like to give some advice, translation is google
For me, particularly the “Viña Alberdi” is very good wine but if you want something more affordable is the “century”
So says Peter Kleban, if you paid too much?, The answer is to start raising from 5 years begins to lose its characteristics and I’m sorry but I can not say what the price because price Nose and go there

I google love translation.

YES!! I pay $23-25 a 750ml bottle. Great, great stuff, but you overpaid.