Roy Pipers project

So I finally got Roy to let me taste these two gems.

2010 vintage–The first thing I notice is the color dark dark fruit that coats the glass. The nose was still a bit closed, but has lots of flavor it is a very lush and balanced wine with just a touch of vanilla and mineralalty is that spelled right Finish that lingered for a good minute

2011 vintage–Roy blended these for me in the glass. And crap talk about color this makes the 10’ look like Pale Rider This sucker is ultra violet in color staining the entire glass as you swirll almost freakish. As the 10’ this nose was still closed but the flavors are already starting to show you can tell it is gonna be damn good wine as it was already showing very well. One thing I did not get out of it was the mineral qualitiy maybe that is do to the Moulds vineyard addition. This also has a great long finish to it.

To me the qualitiy is obvious in these wines very balanced flavors. I will be buying when the offer comes out and I think all of you will be very happy with these wines. And the price!!!

Here is what Roy told me he will be striving for.

The idea is to focus on a napa blend, and then create a barrel select culled from it only in excellent years and when it does not impact the napa blend. Total production will grow to 300-500 cases over the next 5 vintages.

2010: 140 cases, “mostly” from George III in Rutherford. 100% new French Oak (Darnajou, Bossuet, Taransaud.) Picked at an average of 25.1 brix. Will get 18-20 months total in oak before bottling.

2011: 120 cases, George III in Rutherford and Moulds in Oak Knoll (used by Merus and Buccella). 100% new French, all Darnajou, picked at an average of 24.8 brix. Still going through malo.

Where does one find the application for Roy Piper’s mailing list?

I think he said that is still a few months down the road. I just emailed him that I posted this so I am sure he will chime in with more info. Like the super secret password to the cellar!

Lush and balanced are key. Sounds yummy.

Hey Ron, I am still about 3-4 weeks from having a mailing list/blog up. After that I have to decide on a name, which I will ask for input on (Piper is not…er… available.)

What about RP? Is that one taken?

Naming contest for some…?

Faux King Piper Cabernet?

“Adjacent”

[berserker.gif]

Even Pied Piper?

Stone’s Throw?

Please fill me in…missing something here. newhere

How about a a local double blind offline/tasting of your wines Roy, inserted in flights of close peers? Could be a fun tasting, and I would think, a way to get some good early feedback from folks who have never tried your wine before.

Name? Maybe take the Bryan Flannery approach, free product to the winner who suggests the best name! The logo you use on previous bottles is a great choice, so seems you should stay close to your name, varied as much as you can get away with it. R. Piper, or add middle initial, or some related option.

Pipes-a-laying? newhere

You could go Scarecrow on this, and use cornemuseur (Piper in French).

I’m sure no one wants to think about Piper in French… especially Todd [thankyou.gif]

Thanks BTL for the explanation. With that and on less humors note I say “silhouette”. I want to win me something flirtysmile

Look forward to a new interpretation of GIII grapes.

“Pipe Dream”

+1

Pay the Piper?

Pypir