What is Your Favorite Chateauneuf Vintage in the Last 15 Years or so?

Every time I pop a 2001 I swoon. It’s about as classic of a CDP vintage as I have experienced in the last 15 years or so.

Opened yet another 2001 Le Vieux Donjon last night. I could smell the kirsch and provencal spices as the sommelier poured the bottle into the decanter. A pretty ruby color with warm earth tones (in total contradistinction to the purples we see these days). Dried red fruits, spicey raspberries. Garrigue, soft pepper, dried herbs, lavenders . . . like walking through a provencal market. Medium in body, tannins smooth, firm acidity. All in proportion, all in perfect balance. Decanted about an hour before dinner and consumed over main courses. The wine picked up some weight over the couple of hours, rounding out wonderfully. I could not ask for a more classic CDP and outstanding bottle of wine. This is the sixth bottle of 2001 Vieux Donjon I have opened from my own stash (3 purchased on release, and consumed too early, and 3 purchased last year from Martin Steinly). (93-94 pts).

I will go so far as to say that 2001 has produced my favorite of the following Chateaux (based on my tastings within the last 18 mos):

Clos des Pape
Pegau
Le Vieux Donjon
Usseglio Mon Aieul

(1990)
(1989)
(1981)
(1978)

I like 2001 quite a bit. There have only been a few years that haven’t produced something very nice.

Like Don says there are very few vintages that were not successful over the last 15 years. It is hard to pick a favorite.

Recently I have been loving the 2004’s. Not rated as highly as say 1998, 2000, 2001 but really performing well now and have been accessible for some time. For my palate I like CDP to have a broad window of drinkability, that’s why 1998 hasn’t been one of my favorites. I think I opened a bunch too young.

I haven’t had a lot of 01s but a Beaucastel a while back was the best young one I’ve had in a long time, at least since the 89.

Ultimately, I’ll probably agree about the 2001s. At this moment, I think the 99s are doing the best. While there are some very great 98s–Pegau, Charvin–this vintage is coming to seem not as great as it was proclaimed at the outset. Not bad or flawed. Just not as great for my palate. 2004 is joining 99 and 94 as a vintage that is wearing extremely well indeed.

2001 first, 1998 after

01 was fantastic , 04 is the sleeper, I love the potential of 05 and 07. Really a wealth of options though!

As said before, there have been far more great than poor vintages in Chateauneuf recently. For more mature wines I would agree with 2001, with the caveat that I think most of the best wines are still on their upward progress. I enjoy 1998 and 1999 equally for different experiences and see 2004 replacing 1999 from my cellar when the 99’s are all drunk up.
However I think the younger vintages will prove the most impressive in time, especially 2010. I tasted quite a few from barrel and see it as a blend of 1998 and 2001 only better than either. I like 2005 a lot for the long haul. Don’t really understand why 2007 is so controversial?? maybe because of Parker’s over the top love? Josh Raynolds puts it down in his reviews of 2009 last year, but when I looked through his reviews of the 40 or so bottlings I purchased I found nothing but praise in his own reviews. Personally I believe that as the baby fat diminishes we will see some really beautiful wines from 2007. The brightness is there to carry them and the fruit should remain lovely as the secondary flavors kick in. Time will tell, but I look forward to the ride!
I think we Chateauneuf lovers are so lucky. Since 1998 its mostly been an embarassment of riches.

No doubt we’ve been blessed with really strong vintages almost year after year. I think 2001, though, is most representative of what I seek in CDP - red fruits, a range of spices, earth tones, medium body and balance (alcohol in check). I cannot say '07 is showing that now, and based on my sampling of CDRs from '09, I’m not sure this vintage will either, but time will tell of course. I have more '07 than any other vintage, but they have been tucked away. I’ve ordered some select '09s as well, but not heavy. When I can backfill with a 2001 Vieux Donjon at modest pricing, that is where I will head.

For drinking right now, I actually kind of like 2008. I don’t think it compares to 2004, 2005, or 2007 over the long haul, but for drinking now and over the next couple of years, I really like them.

2001 and 2004 have been my favorites. FWIW, I’ve been pretty keen on 2009s - interested in trying more.

2002; the only year I didn’t dramatically exceed my CdP budget.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen another thread where I agree with every varied comment that’s been posted. 2001’s still young but starting to sing, especially Charvin, Donjon, Beaucastel, Telegraphe, Pegau. 2004 is precocious, especially Pegau. 1999 in a sweet spot and under-rated. 1998’s spectacular and getting better, but with late drinking windows. Gerhard’s list plus almost everything since '98. '05’s will be wonderful. Love my '00’s. Some '07’s will shine in time; I thought Telegraphe drank well young that vintage (many might disagree). 2008’s are available for a song, the price of CdR, and will be beautiful young. Haven’t tried any '10’s yet, but they’re sounding spectacular.

Is there another region (village in this case) that has been so consistently fantastic for so many years? Prices, while up since 1999, are still more reasonable for top world class wines than anywhere else. CdP has become (by far) the most over-represented portion of my cellar.

Cheers; this thread made my day.

Warren

Interesting to see fans of 2001 and 2004 looking towards the 2009’s. I like the vintage, but find it much more in the big and rich camp than those vintages. Think 2000 without the roasted character. I have restrained myself and only bought a handful of my favorite estates ( Clos des Papes, Charvin, Ferrand, Usseglio Mon Aieul ) since I don’t see it as a long aging vintage and 2010 is so stellar. I did buy a fair number of 2009 CdR however. Very friendly wines for the next few years.
I know this is not Chateauneuf, but I find Escaravailles one of the great value domaines for CdR. The wines play well above their price point across the board. Fortunately for us Parker seems to be tasting there when a number of the wines are in a reduced or shut down state. I have not had that experience. Plus I find the level of finesse Gilles Ferran is getting in the wines increasing greatly vintage to vintage.

'04,'98, '01 -mJ

Right now: 2001. Just had an absolutely stunning Clos Des Papes two nights ago. (It really out-shined the 04 Pegau which is no slouch.) However I’m sure that in time the 2007 Clos Des Papes will eclipse it. As may the 05. That’s just Clos Des Papes, I know.

Yea, the 2001 Clos des Papes is spectacular. That and the Usseglio MA '01 are my two favorite CDPs in a very, very long time. I’m not convinced the '07s are on par, but I’m letting mine sleep for a long time. I popped the '07 Clos des Papes over Thanksgiving and it was quite monolithic, not revealing much. Good call on the '04 Pegau - damn good!

The 07 Clos Des Papes was my favorite of the vintage. I had one on release and am not surprised if it has shut down. Such is my experience with Clos Des Papes. I’ll wait until about 2016 to go back into my stash.
I’ve not had the 2001 Mon Aieul but I do have a few in my cellar. Just waiting until I can’t resist anymore. Sort of like… well, you know.