TNs--FALLTACULAR 2012

There’s one thing I definitely realized. I was not happy missing this last year and I don’t intend for that to happen again. Another fantastic day with everyone and all the wines—a record number of whites for sampling, it was very hard to make choices and I have no problem having tasted fewer than I might have in return for loads of talk time with all my friends down here. A huge thank you yet again to Frank and Jill for opening their house and their arms so willingly to yon horde, and to all the winemakers who came down to spend time with us.

THE WINES

2010 Cowan Cellars Isa Lake County Sauvignon Blanc

Loveliest pale pink-tinged amber. Touches of pineapple and grapefruit and gooseberry all play around the nuzzie. Pretty clean, some hints of thyme and basil around sharp apple skin. May want a bit more zip, but nice wine.

2010 Loring Aubaine Vineyard Pinot Noir

I think this and the Durell were the only Lorings I sampled this time, though I’m pretty sure I tried a few others at Pinot Days in Chicago. This has lots of sweet spices and macerated cherry. Cloves, cinnamon poke through. Tasty, nips of dates even to go with cherry and sweet blackberry. Creamy finish, not a long ager. I guessed 14.9%, close at 14.7%

2008 Saxon Brown Casasantina Maria vineyard Semillon

Well, if someone’s gonna make a California Sem, you know I’ll have to try it! I want to say chalky pear for bouquet, so I guess I will. In the mouth, quite sweet, some vanilla overlay on pear and orange. Not quite what I want, and surprising expression of Semillon.

2010 Tercero Viognier

This has zippy aromatics of orange, flowers and perhaps a subtle ripe pear note. Light snack dans la bouche, it could do with some filling out, but is a good sipper/starter type wine which may gain a little bit of weight with a year’s time.

2010 Dragonette Santa Ynez Sauvignon Blanc

Good sniffs of white pepper and crisp greens. This really bounces and rolls around on the tongue in a great and engaging way, very balanced and clean with slices of grapefruit and granny smith apple. This might’ve been my #3 today, I kept thinking about it.

2010 Dragonette Happy Canyon Sauvignon Blanc

Dans le nez, this is really good—a little nougat seems to weave in and out of gingersnap with capiscum underneath. Less aggressive and spirited than the Santa Ynez on palate, leans towards grapefruit and orange rind. Room to grow but the Santa Ynez is the better and more striking wine today.

2010 Maze Knights Valley Sauvignon Blanc

Crisp and seemingly smoky (even though done without wood) with gooseberry and lime. To taste, mushrooms/truffles, with more of the lime. Classy-to-be stuff, I think, just quite kinetic and young at the moment.

2010 Copain Tous Ensemble Anderson Valley Chardonnay

Florals present, with some pear and citrus and a touch of sage. Dans la bouche, young and a bit disjointed, but good component parts of pear with edgeing of anise, citrus and apple

2010 Tercero Mourvedre Rose

There are some herbs mixed in with small berry fruit scents. Quite light—controlled and not too sweet but also missing some definition too, though elegant.

2010 Dunstan Durell Vineyard Chardonnay

Fine perfume here, some lychee nuance and pineapple, coconut and pear all show up. Good thrust and interest, with pear, apple some of that lychee and orange peel, all with a very nuanced vanilla overlay. This had lovely proportions and I think I’ll put it in at #7

2010 Jemrose Viognier

This might be the winner for best bouquet. Explosive with honeysuckle, nectarine and a back end of orange sherbet. Light but fresh to taste, with lemon-infused peach, I think. Still, the dichotomy in intensity from the bouquet to the palate is a little distracting. Certainly interesting

2009 Black Kite Stony Terrace Pinot Noir

Sooo much spice, like sniffing a market in Marrakesh. Sweet coriander and cinnamon and nutmeg, oh my. Plenty of red fruit underneath. In the mouth, strong, too much really, emphasis on strawberry and cherry. For me, a real departure from their 07 stable.

2009 Black Kite Kite’s Rest Pinot Noir

Less of everything that is in the Stony Terrace in bouquet, but more balanced, perhaps a rooty side. this has more acidity, less developed is the fruit—raspberries ad unknit spices. Yet, I think there’s more promise for a good wine here.

2010 Poe Angel Camp Pinot Noir

Lovely and complex, keeps revealing berry, plum and even tomato leaf. Secondaries of spicecake here. Strict, but plenty of verve, with raspberry and earth tones. For being so young, this quite hits my sweet spot in what I look for in Cali Pinot, and might’ve been the best one I had. Let’s call it #4.

2010 Bluxome Street Winery Moriah Vineyard Pinot Noir

From Mendocino county, the vines are recently converted from Zin. And there is a burgundy-like nose, with earth, cocoa, and dark cherry. When tasted, this needs some balancing fruit, too much on the currant and very slight tomato side for now, but with some more age on the vines, the structure seems to be there for good wines to be made.

2008 Boheme Taylor Ridge Pinot Noir

Almost a mesquite side to this, plenty of cherry and plum too. Mustard in the mouth, but holds the cherry fruit. Decent.

2008 Boheme Stuller Vineyard Pinot Noir

I keep sniffing it—that’s a good sign. Roses and strawberries and sweet cranberry. Underneath, a blast of maybe sarsparilla. Quite vivacious with unripe strawberry, currant and slight jalapeno side to this wine. Really intriguing stuff.

2008 Ladd Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir

A lightness of being that soars out of the glass—cherry, forest floor aspects, some baking spices, but all cool-seeming. Almost dramatic freshness, a real savoury aspect that marries well with the mix of fruit and spice. #9, I am delighted with the progress Eric has made.

2008 Ladd Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

Also fragrant, with florals and red berries. On the tongue, tangy as well, a little more bridled than the Sonoma Coast, but still very much a wine in proportion with all its parts.

2008 Ladd Cuvee Abigail Pinot Noir

More earth here and some pepper to accent darker fruit. Still bright to sample, with red and black raspberries and a tiny truffle backhit.

2009 Rhys Skyline Vineyard Syrah

Quite expressive here, with aromas of chocolate ganache, plum and sweet blackberry and black cherry. Decent—controlled with plum and cherries and a little cocoa dust. But just decent.

2009 Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Syrah

Splendid nose—small funk deftly woven into terrific pepper-and-cocoa mix with plums and blackberry. Nummy—grips every part of the mouth and excites, with spice, pepper and rich dark plum. A wine to enjoy and appreciate now and in 10 years for what it might be. #2 today.

2008 Big Basin Rattlesnake Rock Syrah

These rarely disappoint me, and this one is good also. Chock full of aromatics, including Christmascake and a little root beer around very nice dark plum. Smooth and strong this is, has plenty of fruit and a dash of cinnamon in the middle. Nice.

2009 Carlisle Two Acres Old Vines Russian River Valley Mourvedre/Syrah

Solid bouquet, blueberry bits with mulled spices among other things. Good, solid presentation with tasty red licorice, plum and currant. Good.

2008 Tercero Mourvedre

Fun in the glass here, some earth and perfume, brambles and fruit. Le gout is somewhat less enthusiastic, the fruit seems to be in the background for now, but there needs to be more earth and cocoa foreground in that case.

2010 Poe Ferrington Vineyard Chardonnay

Touches of smoke, vanilla and plenty of tropical fruit in evidence. Sweet and soft, but with guava and other interesting tropical fruit in the mouth.

2009 Wind Gap Woodruff Vineyard Chardonnay

A very nice anise and ginger frame to the pineapple bouquet. Tactile and tangy tangerine. Maybe a tiny bit thin, but certainly energetic and quite pure expression of fruit. #11?

2010 Loring Durell Vineyard Chardonnay

Lots of wood here, overt but underneath there is apple and citrus. Really, really sweet on palate, too much for me. Pineapple, mango and orange are all present. This may need time to settle down, but not sure.

2009 Coastview Terraces Chardonnay

Really smoking aromatics, lavender and bosc pear. Good crispness here, with more pear, some apple and an end tang of grapefruit. I liked this.

2009 Tercero Outlier Gewurtztraminer

Fine scents of lots of florals and apple hints. tongue finds it zipply and with surprising tangy citrus. Very refreshing. I like!

2008 Clos Pepe Pinot Noir

I had tasted much of Wes’ slate in November, seem to remember missing this one though. This has remarkably expressive strawberries and nutmeg, with a small earth secondary. Lean, but not mean—good proportion to the raspberry and currant fruit. (Editor note—I DID have this in November and, in fact, loved it—very interesting to see the divergence I had in different circumstances/time/company. My note from November’s Pinot Days event, where 80 wines were tasted…

"2008 Clos Pepe Pinot Noir

Spicier, with some chipotle and habanero pepper between the red fruit. Le gout is extremely tasty, I like this a lot. It has raspberries and rhubarb, apple skin too. Suave yet vibrant, the more I sip, the more I declaim this as truly great. I see why Wes likes this one. My #2 today.")

2009 Copain Kiser en Haut Pinot Noir

Nose is minerals and earth around raspberry and chokecherry fruit. This is stern at this point, lots of spices and some black raspberries, but it needs some finish.

2009 Copain Kiser en Bas Pinot Noir

More cocoa and spices in this, along with riper fruit. To taste, replays, but also nicely contained. Good.

2010 Cowan Cellars Bennett Valley Pinot Noir

mmmm—cherry cheesecake aromatics hit ya right between the eyes. Le gout is soft and somewhat sweet, with cherry and a sour cream lacing. I would like to see more character, but interesting building blocks here.

2010 Sandler Bien Nacido Vineyard Pinot Noir

Rich and full bouquet of baking spices, cherry and lingonberry. Palate is wonderfully velvety, smooth like silk but retaining that richness, with red and black cherry in the main. Grows on me too. Yummy, yummy. #6

2009 Dunstan Durell Vineyard Pinot Noir

Great aromatics–cherry, strawberry, bits of clove and milk chocolate. Very smooth and fully expressive to taste as well, bursting with red fruit and a little citrus. One of the better efforts today, #5

2009 Quivet Cellars Kenefick Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon

Heavy-duty bouquet, with high-toned cherry, cassis and dark chocolate. Lots of black fruit and some licorice too, while this needs time and while I appreciate how Mike wants to get expressiveness into the wines, this is awfully big and somewhat hot right now.

2009 Sojourn Proprietor’s Cuvee Cabernet Sauvignon

Lovely, fresh, full-of-forest stuff here, with mint, pine needle and plenty of fruit underneath. Reaches quite a beguiling level of expressiveness. This, to taste, just has great feel—not too deep, but velvety and delicious, with a mix of fruit, wood, spices and mint chocolate chip, all working in harmony. I probably would rate a 92+ to this WOTD

2009 Virage Napa Valley Red

71% Cab Franc with most of the rest of it Merlot, Emily informed us. There IS some graphite and some cocoa and small blackberries and blackcurrant that has hints of Bordeaux. The palate is a touch on the lean side, but has requisite black and blue fruit and some woodsmoke. A neat grip at the end.

2008 Jean Edwards Stagecoach Cabernet Sauvignon

Mix of meats and pepper and red fruit. Good smooth entry, it is nice indeed in a gentle way. Fine, fine smooth cherry, plum, meat and creamy. Good-good-good. #8

2009 Switchback Ridge Peterson Vineyard Petite Syrah

brooding—hard to assess, even with 6 hours open. Dollops of black fruit, some pepper and some spiciness. Palate is plenty structured but very closed. Meat-tinged cassis perhaps. A giant, needs 6 years at least.

2010 Sojourn Cellars Sangiacomo Vineyard Pinot Noir

My happy sniffing place, strawberry, cherry, some uncured tobacco and almost a sweet grassiness. This has the most front-end bite of any of the Sang’s I’ve tried from Sojourn, but still plenty tolerable and pays off with dee-lish strawberry jellybean action and lots of spices, maybe evevn some chickoree. It deserves and needs a bit of time to develop, and I like it more with each sip. #10

2009 Black Kite River Turn Pinot Noir

As their others, plenty of spicecake and red bing cherry. There’s a varnished wood secondary as well. Again, this is sweet and big for me, too much of the fruit, not enough substance. This was a real surprising lineup given their 2007s (which I adored).

2008 Amelle Keefer Ranch Pinot Noir

Like at first snort—there’s a suavity, an old wood smell framing crisp strawberry and red cherry fruit. Very light cocoa dust too. Le gout, it has that combo of fresh and smooth that I do love in Keefer fruit. This does need some depth and an extra gear, but is quite satisfying for its bright spiced berry presentation.

2010 Sojourn Cellars Gap’s Crown Pinot Noir

This is more reserved, concentrating on spices, woodsy and sweeter raspberry undertones. Curious variability in the mouth–sharp entry, velvet middle, sharp back-end. Good fruit, spice and cocoa elements, give it some time in the bottle, maybe 1.5 years. (Editor’s note–Craig was positive that I hadn’t tried any of the 2010s yet, and I insisted I had tried some at November Pinot Days. Craig, as usual, was correct, only 09s tasted there, so I’m glad he convinced me to taste here!)
2009 Jemrose Cardiac Hill Syrah

Likey-likey, pepper steak and juicy plum and blackberry meet in the bouquet. Good substance, though missing some wow factor. Very polished stuff, though.

2009 Jemrose Foggy Knoll Grenache

Has an interesting (not offputting) veggie and greens sidebard to a dark fruit nose. Unfortunately, some of that vegetal continues and that and the fruit and wood elements just don’t knit together for me here.

2009 Dragonette “Seven” Syrah

94%, with 4% Grenache, 2% Mourvedre. Bit of a mustard hit in the schnozz, with cocoa and meats and plum. This has plenty of interest, with pepper and blackberry in the main roles, but also looking for harmony.

2008 Argot The Opening Salvo Bennett Valley Syrah

Big smoked sausage, fruit and somewhat alcoholic aroma. Palate finds it big—very big. Very meaty and juicy but missing a level of depth and complexity, and also some fruit.

2008 Tercero Cuvee Loco Larner Vineyard Grenache Syrah

50% of each. Wow. I like this. It has style, grace and a delectable meat, berry, spice and wood bouquet. Larry can sleep at last, knowing he has achieved a miracle—he’s made a grenache that I actually enjoy. This is controlled with a very-understated collared greens element to the blackcurrant, blackberry and bacon main themes. Very interesting stuff, bravo. #12

2009 Jaffurs Verna’s Vineyard Syrah

Rich and fruity—cherry and plum. This has some slinky side, but is also quite beefy, with meat and fruit sides fighting it out a bit. There’s a chance it will come together with time.

At dinner and later in the evening, I ported over a 2002 Jadot Savigny-Les-Beaunes La Dominode which was badly corked, and a 2004 Henri Boillot Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru Les Chaumees which was definitively not, nor oxidized. Instead, it swirled up into the nostrils with lemon, wet stones and binned unripe apple, and continued with a lovely silvery palate with lemon replays, some nuttiness at the back and bits of smoke here and there. This would have been about my #4 if allowed to include it in the count.

MIke,
That is one big list.
Some nice ones in there.
I know you had a great time.

Great notes. One correction. Carlisle Two Acre is an old vine, mixed-black blend, mostly Mourved - not Syrah.

Mike:
You took much better and more detailed notes than I did. I posted some of mine to CT this morning, and I add them here.

• 2009 Sojourn Cabernet Sauvignon Proprietary Cuvee - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/15/2012)
    At Falltacular. A bit young, but YUMMY. I really liked the '08 when tasted in the Fall, but this is great. Nice blend and can really taste the GIII and Howell fruit. Slutty and a long finish to boot… (95 pts.)
  • 2010 Sojourn Pinot Noir Sangiacomo Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/15/2012)
    At Falltacular. Bright Strawberry notes with baking spices and a touch of oak. Very nice finish. I think this will be even better in six months. (94 pts.)
  • 2010 Sojourn Pinot Noir Gap’s Crown Vineyard Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/15/2012)
    At Falltacular. Big mouth feel of some very nice fruit. Bigger than the others, but well balanced. Cocoa and spices. In one word, WOW! (93 pts.)
  • 2010 Sojourn Pinot Noir Rodgers Creek Vineyard Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/15/2012)
    At Falltacular. This one always seems the most burgundian of their lineup with forest floor and mushroom notes, muted cherry pie and earthiness textures. Smooth finish. (93 pts.)
  • 2009 Sojourn Cabernet Sauvignon Vineyard Georges III - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (1/15/2012)
    At Falltacular. I am a sucker for Georges III vineyard wines, and this one was no exception. A bit lighter than i recall the 2008 being, but elegant yet powerful in the fruit. Well structured. Notes of spice, dust, cocoa and not too much oak. (92 pts.)
  • 2010 Loring Wine Company Chardonnay Durell Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/15/2012)
    At Falltacular. I am not a big Chard drinker. This is a bigger Chard. I really like it. Touches of citrus, vanilla (oak?) and definitely not dry. Beautiful! (92 pts.)
  • 2009 Sojourn Cabernet Sauvignon Spring Mountain District - USA, California, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District (1/15/2012)
    At Falltacular. Muted plum and berry notes, some earthiness and some smooth tannins for such a young wine. Will get even better with some age on it. (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Clos Pepe Estate Pinot Noir - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills (1/15/2012)
    Tried at Falltacular side by side with the ‘09, and the Loring Clos Pepe. Will be the first to admit that I usually like others’ Clos Pepe like Loring, Ojai and Siduri, over Wes’ version - my style is a bit bigger. But, perhaps because the '10 is young, I really liked it. In contrast, I did not get any fruit on the '09. Although young, it was fruity, and very subtle on the heat and tannin. (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Sojourn Pinot Noir Ridgetop Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/15/2012)
    At Falltacular. I was really looking forward to this one after loving the '09 so much. This one started out a bit hot, but really got elegant in the glass after a minute or so. Some big fruit, bright notes of fruit. I liked it. I will revisit with Craig soon… (91 pts.)
  • 2007 Matthiasson - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/15/2012)
    Tasted at Falltacular. Elegant Bdx blend, with a bit heavy hand on the Merlot. If Right Bank is your thing, this was quite nice. Not the heavier Cali Cab it was being compared to.
  • 2009 Clos Pepe Estate Pinot Noir - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills (1/15/2012)
    Tried side by side with the '10 at Falltacular. Almost like drinking different wines. I really liked the '10. This one tasted a bit weak and way to elegant and subtle for my taste. Not a bad wine, just not my cup of tea.
  • 2009 Copain Pinot Noir “En Bas” Kiser - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (1/15/2012)
    Tried at Falltacular. I did not take detailed notes on this one but I recall liking it more than the En Haut. Really Nice!!!
  • 2009 Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon RBS Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (1/15/2012)
    At Falltacular, the winner of the silent auction reportedly popped this open, and I was allowed to taste from someone’s glass. In one word, WOW! That was amazing. Didn’t get enough to really take it for a spin, but for a pop and pour it was not hot, and the tannins seemed just fine. Nice finish.
  • 2009 Wind Gap Wines Chardonnay Woodruff Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (1/15/2012)
    Tasted at Falltacular. I like Pax’ Chardonnay, particularly those that are mineralistic. This one did not taste like his usual like up. Lots of buttery taste, perhaps more Malo that I recall? I liked it. There was a second bottle of it that may have been corked.
  • 2010 Bluxome Street Winery Pinot Noir - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (1/15/2012)
    Tried at Falltacular; interesting earthy taste with notes of cherry, but not cherry cola. I would like to try again. I liked it.

Posted from CellarTracker

Mike, you put Richard Jennings to shame with that list of tasting notes!! My tasting buds are shot just reading through them.

Tom,

What makes note taking at this event even that more impressive are the ‘distractions’ that keep popping up - wave after wave of grilled meats and fish coming off the bbq, plate after plate of cheeses, appetizer meatballs, and dips, and moutains of desserts! Not to mention at least 50 people crammed into the family room for the last hour screaming at the TV watching the end of the SF/NO game!

What a day - and for a great cause! There were over 130 wines open throughout Frank’s house, with downstairs dominated by about 3X the number of whites compared to previous years (though only 2 roses!!!), and Pinots, and upstairs dedicated mainly to rhones, with a small cadre of about a dozen cabs sequestered off into a separate room.

If you have not attended this event in the past, you really should plan on doing so in the future - it truly is fantastic and exemplifies the sense of ‘community’ that is in existence in the wine world. For those who dig hanging out with winemakers and principals, there were at least a dozen on hand, including Wes and Chanda Hagen, Brian Loring, Craig Jaffur and Dave Yates from Jaffurs, Brandon Sparks-Gillet fro Dragonette, Jeff Gaffner from Saxum Brown and Black Kite, Ed Kurtzman and others. Heck, even Todd French, head Berserker, was on hand for the entire afternoon!!!

Kudso to all who attended and thanks once again to Frank and Jill for your generosity and dedication . . . .

Now back to the wines, and there were certainly many cool ones indeed! Cheers!

Great seeing you Mike and great job getting the notes up so quickly. I didn’t take any notes but I drank a lot of very good wine yesterday. I also ate a lot of great food and talked to lots of great peoples! An awesome event as always, not to be missed. Thanks everyone for making it special!

It was great to finally try Jim Cowan’s wines. I liked that Sauv Blanc a lot. Memorable. Keep up the good work Florida Jim!

Thanks, Cris.
Wish I’d have been able to be there.
Best, Jim

First off, amazing job by the Murray’s…thank you again for hosting this amazing event. Truly, truly special.

Also, great to see all the winemakers. Although, you better be there next year Peter Carg!!

Amazing wines…I don’t have my notes but they never compare to Mike’s anyway! BTW, great to see you bud.

Whites:

Jemrose vio was very nice.
Argot was interesting…and made me think there was a SQN on the table!
Wind Gap chard…wow.
Dragonette SB’s. Brandon’s SB’s are best in Santa Barbara…and maybe best in Cali. Über complex. Watch this label.
Larry’s Outlier and vio are showing very well.
White of day for me was Wes’ 09 Clos Pepe Chard. I can’t get enough of that wine.

Pinots:
Wes’ 2K standard Pinot made me see God…what I’m looking for these days in a Pinot. The 06 and 10 were rockin’ too.

Gap-Off: fun comparing the Sojourn and Wind Gap Pinots. Total 180• from each other.
My wines of the table: LADD!! Walking a razors edge between power and grace. LOVED these wines. These and the Clos’ were amazing!!

Syrahs:
Copain Baker: HOLY SH**! That’s a syrah.
Wind Gap Griffin’s: how the HELL did Pax get that color and depth at 13%?! Amazing stuff.
Jaffurs Verna’s: is there a more consistently good Rhone producer in SB?! Fresh pork and killer feel. Kudos you guys.
Semmeler (spelling? I don’t have notes handy) 100% full cluster. Freakazoid wine. Loved it.
Saxon Brown syrah: another mind freak. I’m a fan.

One cab…and one cab only: Sojourn GIII. Perfect combo of excellent winemaker and fruit. Match made in heaven.

Obligatory hedonism: Switchback PS…yeah it’s young…but GOD is it good.

So great to see all of you. Thanks for letting the San Diego crew hangout. If you ever come down, send me a PM!!

Btw, used my iPhone so forgive me for spelling issues!!

great event. great people. great cause.

F-tac 2012 had a comforting familiarity that added to my enjoyment of the wines and the food.

note-able:

2010 argot the articulator chardonnay/roussanne
2010 jemrose egret pond viognier

2009 wind gap woodruff chardonnay
2009 clos pepe sta rita hills chardonnay (hommage to chablis)

2006 clos pepe pinot vs
2009 argot the fence pinot
2010 wind gap gap’s crown pinot

2008 big basin coastview syrah
2009 jaffurs verna’s syrah
2009 wind gap griffin’s lair syrah
2010 copain baker ranch syrah
2010 sandler connell syrah (stems rule)

on the fence:
2010 bluxome RRV sauv blanc
2009 dunstan durrell chardonnay
2008 ladd cuvee abigail pinot
2008 saxon-brown parmalee hill owl box syrah

disappointments:
2008 big basin rattlesnake rock syrah
2009 copain james berry syrah
2008 rhys syrahs (they were gone by the time i got to them!)

i guess there were cabs, too. sounds like they were pretty good. [berserker.gif]

1,000 wines, and I’ve never had one of them. Glad it was a fun time!

Forgot to say, big ups to Mr. Loring for the cojones to make bubbles. The rosé was crazy! Kinda like grape soda. The BdB was nice!!

Also, Mike, great call on the Cuvée Loco. Love that blend. The Larner syrah was great too.

\

I am here: Google Maps
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t even get upstairs for the cab/etc except for a few. And what a game! Go 49er’s.

FALLTACULAR 2012 - (1/15/2012)

• 2010 Sojourn Pinot Noir Gap’s Crown Vineyard Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Very dark color with a purple hue which is noticable compared to the others from Sojourn in the line up. Primarily a tart strawberry with cherry notes for flavoring. Medium finish. Very solid. (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Virage Vineyards Rosé - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Big league rose. Haven’t had much that was Cab Franc based but this is an terrific wine for the price. Candied nose, floral hints. Sweet red fruit with a suprising long finish for a rose in my experience. (90 pts.)
  • 2010 Sojourn Pinot Noir Ridgetop Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    This was my favorite of the line up and drinking perfectly right now. It was more restained and best balanced at this age. Lacked the tartness of the Gap and was considerable light in color swirling the glass. Elegant would best decribe this wine. yummy. (93 pts.)
  • 2010 Sojourn Pinot Noir Sangiacomo Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    This tasted much like the Gap, probably couldn’t tell the difference blind, but with a reduced tartness which I prefer. Strawberry fruit is the focus. (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Sojourn Pinot Noir Rodgers Creek Vineyard Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    I’d agree with Bruce61 comments regarding its more burdandy style with a touch of earth and mushrooms but unlike the other '10, cherry is the predominate fruit on the palate. It fact, it’s bright cherry which end in medium finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2010 Cowan Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Isa - USA, California, North Coast, Lake County
    Nose was respectible citrus fruit. Palate: First thing I noticed was the weight of the wine, not something I’ve noticed with other SB which I like. The fruit profile was driven by grapefruit and a bitter “twang” on the finish. Imagine chewing on green grape skins without the juice.
  • 2010 Jemrose Viognier Egret Pond - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley
    I would have guess sauvigon blanc by the nose blind, and put some money behind it. Wrong. Palate has viognier characteristics but there’s an interesting underlying complexity of spice and citrus. Entertaining.
  • 2010 Copain Chardonnay Tous Ensemble - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley
    Good, clean, fun. This is Cali buttery popcorn chardonnay, more like something from Chablis with decent tangy pop of acidity through the finish.
  • 2008 Amelle Pinot Noir Keefer Ranch Vineyard Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Tasted along side Eric the winemaker at falltacular. Bright dark fruit with very good complexity and a dose of baking spice. Long finish. I really enjoyed this PN, top 5 for me. (92 pts.)
  • 2009 Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon RBS Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville
    Big boys wine for sure. Oil dark color in the glass. I don’t have a lot of experience with these wines but I would definitely let it cellar for 5+ more years before openning. The structure and very tannin driven finish was a bit too much for me at that point in its young life. The finish is ENOURMOUS.
  • 2008 Big Basin Vineyards Syrah Rattlesnake Rock - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Killer. This has everything going for it. Love the fruit and secondary elements wrapped up in “ahhh” moment ending. (93 pts.)
  • 2009 Big Basin Vineyards Pinot Noir Alfaro Family Vineyards - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Darkest of the Big Basin NP’s in the line up. Good cherry and berry flavors, mid palate a little hollow, and medium/- finish.
  • 2009 Big Basin Vineyards Pinot Noir Woodruff Family Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    My favorite Big Basin PN. Great complexity at such a young age with forest floor and earth tones but not dirt. Excellent. (92 pts.)
  • 2010 Bluxome Street Winery Pinot Noir Mariah - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands
    Whiff of green/herbal scent on the nose which don’t show up elsewhere. Light cherry flavor, touch soft mid palate. Medium finish. (88 pts.)
  • 2008 Bohème Wines Pinot Noir Stuller Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Really dark color, earthy herbal notes smooth finish (88 pts.)
  • 2008 Bohème Wines Pinot Noir Taylor Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Beautiful color, nice aromas, well balanced. medium+ finish. (91 pts.)
  • 2009 Clos Pepe Estate Chardonnay - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills
    I like this wine, good fruit nose with green appple palate. medium finsih. strong.
  • 2007 Core Mister Moreved Alta Mesa - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County
    Definitely heay showing, smells like rubbing alcohol. Lots of tannins and tar. I’m a mourvedre guy but won’t guess it blind. This needs time in the cellar.
  • 2009 Dunstan Pinot Noir Durell Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County
    Nice job Chris on this second vintage with young fruit. Super dark color, spicy nose. Great complexity on the palate for such a young wine with spice weaving in and out. Medium+ finish. Really enjoyed it. (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Keefer Ranch Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Green Valley
    Of the various vineyards, I can detect Keefer more than any other. There’s a bright sweet cherry note on the attack that gives it away. This was probably the 4 Keefer in the line up and I enjoyed them all equally. This wine might be slightly more fruit foward which is expected. Crowd favorite.
  • 2010 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands
    Big monsterous fruit foward wine, big berry. The girls loved this wine. I found it a bit concentrated, but can’t argue with the fan appeal.
  • 2010 Sandler Wine Company Pinot Noir Keefer Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Of all the Keefer wine, this is my favorite. There is a nose of perfume and cherry which is enchanting. Palate is smooth and the finish is beautiful with great balance. One of my favorites. (92 pts.)
  • 2009 Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah Peterson Family Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley
    This looked like trouble as it was poured into the glass. Very opaque and staining the glass as I swirled and pushed my nose into it. Big, rich, and dominating fruit as you’d expect with plenty of structure to hold on for a decade or more. The tannins on the finish will cleanse (strip) the palate. Let this ride in the cellar for 5 more years. Excellent.

Posted from CellarTracker

Those were cool to try. I was the opposite of you Phil. I really liked the rose! Nice work Brian.

Cris, I re-read what I wrote and it came off wrong. So sorry. Thought it was tasty and exciting. I got to work that table late in the day and tasted them bubbles again. Just fun…just like Brian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for chiming in and adding all of your terrific takes on things. And Larry, I really appreciate you getting the full list of winemakers up. I didn’t want to leave anyone out, but that is truly one of the extra-special parts about the day. Well, that and Brian London’s magical way with assorted meats. And that chocolate cake…yum yum. Back in chilly Toronto, but with warmth in my heart—mushy I know, but true—for having come out and spent time with all the great people that come to this event.

Mike D.—corrected, thank you :slight_smile:

Mike

My notes did not have anything about Loring Divergence. While I did not write anything, I thought it very YUMMY. I poured the whites for an hour and poured lots of the Loring bubbles. I’m sorry to say that I didn’t try them myself - rule against that while pouring… They were a people pleaser though. I also had an interesting view of the Rhys Horseshoe. First taste seemed a bit medicinal to me. When tried again, it blew off and tasted like the cold climate syrah it is. It was different, and quite interesting after all…

Great notes Mike. Always a pleasure to see you and get caught up. Stay in touch.

WOTD for me was the Switchback Ridge Petite Syrah. Dense, tongue coating, long lasting pleasure.

Mike,

Glad to see you made it back okay and hope that you have a very productive week this week [cheers.gif]

I was far from ‘complete’ when I mentioned the winemakers and/or principals who were in attendance, as there were quite a few more, some of whom I don’t know myself. Others there that I DO know included Ian Brand from Coastview, Samantha Sheehan from Poe, and Craig Haserot from Sojourn. The guy from Amelle, who I believe works at Freeman, was also there representing his wide assortment of wines, as were the two ladies from Virage (again, names unknown) . . . .

Cheers.

Great day. Enjoyed myself immensely. The Murrays rocked another FT. Almost made the goal of $15K. Congratulations! Nice to see you Mr. Grammer. Most memorable wines were Jim Cowan’s Sauv. Bl., Rhys Horseshoe Syrah & '07 Clos Pepe Sparkler.