Rhys Incoming....Jan. 31st

Going to be a costly month. Saxum, RM and Rhys.

The 2012 Spring Release will include:

2009 Rhys Santa Cruz Mountains Pinot Noir ($45)
2009 Rhys Alpine Vineyard Pinot Noir ($69)
2009 Rhys Alpine Vineyard Chardonnay ($69)
2009 Rhys Swan Terrace Pinot Noir ($79)
2009 Rhys Alpine Vineyard Pinot Noir Magnum ($159)
Allocations for these wines will be available until February 18th. Please mark your calendar and look for an email from us on Tuesday, January 31st!

Perhaps it has been disclosed elsewhere, but I am interested to know the composition of the 2009 SCM pinot. Alpine and some Horseshoe?

Just received the email. Is anyone else becoming concerned regarding the annual price increases? The wines are great but they are about at my threshold for how much I am willing to pay per bottle. I have been a loyal customer since day one of the project and at this pace I am going to be priced out.

Kevin - Any thoughts on were you are going with pricing in the future? Do you have a dollar price per bottle in mind that you would like to achieve? I realize you have made a significant investment in vineyards and winery and you have the right to charge whatever the market can bear, but the wines are starting to get somewhat expensive (at least for me).

Lew,
The 2009 SC Mtns Pinot bottling is comprised of fruit from both Alpine and Horseshoe. Is is a bit more forward and riper than the vineyard designated bottlings so we think people will be able to drink it a little earlier.

Hi Kevin,
I apologize if I missed it previously but is the '09 Horseshoe Pinot slated for a later release?

Thanks,

Nathan

Todd,
While I don’t ever expect to recoup my capital expenses (vineyards and winery), after 12 years of investment I would like to see the Rhys production operation paying it’s way on an operating basis. Unfortunately this means some price increases. I really do hate the idea that some long term customers may not be able to afford our wines so we didn’t do this without some serious consideration.

It’s also important to note that in order to continue to push quality we are more aggressively declassifying some of our estate fruit. In 2009, half of our Alpine PInot went into a $45 bottling while the rest went to a $69 bottling. The average of the two is similar to 2008s $59/btl price.

As far as future pricing, I think our limited production wines may increase in price (where quality merits it) but our larger production wines (which are often of equal quality) are unlikely to change.

Nathan,
We plan to release the '09 Horseshoe Pinot and Chardonnay in the Fall.

I’m concerned about the pricing too, but I’m curoious - for the folks on the Aubert, Peter Michael, or Marcassin list - how do the Rhys prices compare? I’m assuming Rhys is still less expensive.

Since I have no interest in Marcassin, Michael or Aubert< I really don’t know their pricing.
I suspect it comparable or higher than RHYS.
It’s a no brainer for me as to whom I prefer…

RHYS is priced similar to the higher end Williams Selyem Pinots.
While I like the W-S lineup, budget considerations and cellar space forced me to choose between the two.
I chose RHYS.

That said, the yearly escalation of pricing is a bit unnerving…

TTT

Rhys is less expensive than Aubert. The Aubert chards in this current release are $80 for the Ritchie, Hyde & Sons, UV-SL, and Reuling; $90 for the Aubert Estate Lauren.

Dammit, no Pajaro Series Oligiocene Schist Vineyard allocation.

Todd I’ve been in since day one and agree the jump in price is gut wrenching. Nearing my breaking point too.

re: price increases.
Simple, I just cut back on the wineries I like just a bit less. I have a budget and stick to it. Moving forward, Rhys will take up the majority of it.

Jeff: For the next allocation, set CarysHorseshoePinotAllocation+=24;
thanks. [cheers.gif]

For those that aren’t happy about the pricing, I’ll gladly take your Swan Terrace allocation, as I probably won’t be allocated any.

Kevin, didn’t we tell you not to buy Jeff the latest in mink cave wear? [wow.gif] Seriously, I too have been a huge Rhys fan and love the steps these guys are taking to produce outstanding wines. But it’s a tough enonomy, and I am in the same boat as many as far as the pricing straining the budget. Hopefully, the weather will start copperating and allow these high elevation vinyards to product closer to 2 TPA (or more) on average, which could help keep prices stable. [cheers.gif]

Yeah, and that Mink is made of genuine Lapin!
KH is no fool… [wink.gif]

TTT

According to the posters on this Board, Burgundy is an affordable alternative. I’d go there. [cheers.gif]

And this is the post leading to Apocalypse 2012. May the gods have mercy on us all.

That was sort of my first reaction. My second is the hope that I’ll get allocated the chardonnay, for the first time since the 2006 (when I was allocated one bottle, which I still hoard). Somewhat contradictory, I know.

Oh well, the kids can do without shoes and socks this year. [snort.gif]

It sounds promising: