TN: 2002 Domaine Chignard Fleurie Les Moriers

I was suffering through some bummer whites today.
A partially premoxed 1999 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne was the main culprit.
Ugh.

I opened this beauty and now all is right.

2002 Domaine Chignard Fleurie Les Moriers

A dark color but great purity. A wonderful floral nose. Dark very focused cherry fruit. The palate is so wonderful. At a slight chill, it refreshes with wonderful fruit. The finish lingers. There is some expansion on the finish with time that lets you know this can go the distance. Sometimes a Beaujolais just hits the spot.

Thanks for the note, Don. Just bought an 06 of this today, though plan to wait a few years. Agree with regard to Cru Beaujolais, especially with a nice raost chicken! yum…

Thanks for the note. I’ve got some 05 put away.

Your note suggests it can age further? Could you project a window for the 02? The 05 was a borderline freakish wine to me - the most concentrated 05 beau I have tasted. But I had a hard time getting a read on any structure - so I have no idea what will happen with age.

To tell you the truth, this 02 wasn’t totally ready.
I like them very young. Then I would wait 10 years.
If you have the fortitude and youth, I had a 1947 Fleurie from a Negoc recently that blew me away.
If you can wait 50 years, I think your 05 will be very special.

Don, thanks for that insight.
I think 50 years - for myself or the wine - might be pushing it.

10 to 20 years for the various 05 beaus I’ve put away is my rough target. With some sampling along the way to see how things are progressing.

All the time . . . . :smiley:

I think it is a producer by producer thing and can become a wine by wine thing as projecting Beaujolais aging is very difficult in my experience.

Love Roilette '99 Tardive but would not age it longer.

Had a '90 Descombes Morgon at the estate that was just hanging on. Probably much better five years ago.

Had '02 Roilette Tardive last year and thought it was past its prime.

Had a '99 Lapierre in early '08 that was unreal.

Had a '93 Desvignes Morgon Cote de Py that was wonderful.

Recently had an '04 Pascal Granger Moulin-A-Vent and that was in a perfect place and would not want to hold longer.

2005 Brun L’ancien is dead as a doornail because of the spoofilated cork. I know a lot of people who bought a ton of this to cellar and the wine is a shadow of itself.

I would recommend on checking in on them twice a year if you have wine to spare as it is too risky to just wait.

Thanks for this great discussion guys - any recommendation on the drinking window of a bottle of 2005 Domaine Diochon Moulin-à-Vent Vieilles Vignes?