Colene Clemens

I don’t know if this producer is on your radar, but you should check it out. Beautiful place, top rate winery facility and tasty juice. I took my parents there the other day and Steve Goff showed us around. He’s very talented and they hired him when the vines were puny. The owners made a fine call as Steve’s wines rock. Just sayin’… http://www.coleneclemens.com/index.php

Disclaimer: none, no affiliation.

Agreed - this was my new find on a recent trip to the Willamette. Really enjoyed the wines and a great facility.

I grabbed three bottles of their Pinot Noir on a trip down to Vinopolis for one of my 2008 hauls. The staff there recommended it highly based on the other producers I was picking up. Still haven’t checked in on one, will do so soon. Thanks for posting this Todd.

I wasn’t as impressed with the 2009’s as the 08. But given just a 2nd vintage not bad. Looking forward to trying the 10’s.

I was very impressed when I visited with them this summer. I though the rose was super. Lovely location as well.

What style Pinot? Fruit forward or burgundian?

It’s actually Clemens just so we have the right thing. I really, really enjoyed the 2008 Reserve. It has a very nice young Ribbon Ridge character by which I mean it has darker, sweet fruit that doesn’t lack for structure but isn’t out of balance either direction. I don’t know that Ribbon Ridge produces wines that would be described as fitting into a Burgundy flavor/structure profile but I think the thinner, drier soils tend toward wines that are less fleshy and primarily sweet than other appellations. Definitely a nice bottle and a producer to check out.

You’ll think they’re thin swill next to those glycerine-laden fruit bombs you like. neener

Jim,
With all sincerity, it’s called Colene Clemons and they are Chehalem Mountains AVA. Yes, younger vines, but I don’t care because they didn’t need an excuse because they’re tasty.
Best,
Todd

You’re both right. It’s Clemens and they’re outside the Ribbon Ridge AVA boundary. That said, I agree with Jim that the wines exhibit Ribbon Ridge qualities.

Are you guys saying I should dismiss the verbiage on their label, signage and the AVA? Is this like ordering a burger at In-N-Out with code? You know I was a lit major…

Todd . . . I love you man, but . . . http://www.coleneclemens.com/

Hell, the link is in your first post.

The winery and I think vineyards are in Newberg, just up from the Allison on Dropp Road, I think. The staff is friendly, the venue lovely and the views are really great. Sorry…I don’t know how to resize the photo. blush

It’s actually Dopp and the winery is in fact in the middle of the fairly large vineyard complex they’ve planted, but “just up from the Allison” is a bit of a stretch. It’s about ten miles. If you’re visiting, follow the blue signs but be aware that the last couple of miles of road are gravel.

They are, in looking, just outside of Ribbon Ridge. I haven’t been there and just assumed, since they are on Dopp, they were in Ribbon Ridge. Probably outside by a half mile or so. I think that Chehalem Mountain stuff that is lower-ish lying like this and in close to Ribbon Ridge carries similar fruit tendencies. We get fruit from 2 site down the road that I think runs in the same vein as our Estate stuff style-wise.

Better get those glasses checked Todd. Just went down to the basement to make sure their labels correspond to their website address. Yep.

It’s still tasty though, even if my spelling sucks!

Given his ‘lit’ background Todd probably has Clarence Clemons stuck in his head. :neener:

Less than that. More like 40 or 50 feet. Seems the line of demarcation between RR and CM is Dopp Rd. and they have a lower portion of the vineyard that’s right on top of the road, so whatever the distance is across the right-of-way is about it.

In that area, Dopp is the border for the Ribbon Ridge AVA. If their property was on the south side of the road they would be in Ribbon Ridge. Since they’re on the north side, they’re just in the “lowely” Chehalem Mtns AVA.

I’ve visited a couple times, and enjoyed their juice every time. A good solid producer that I’ll be checking in on from time to time to see how they progress with a few vintages under their belt.

Has anyone tried the 2016 Colene Clemens Dopp?