Search for 75's

The reason you may ask?
It is my birth year wine for myself and many of my friends.
I would appreciate any impressions on what 1975 wines that are still drinking well.
Of course the Las Cases is an epic wine (at least from what I read in CT) my hope is to find wines in the $100-300 range.
My ultimate goal is to assemble a case and have a memorable dinner to enjoy life. [drinkers.gif]
Any suggestions?

Pape-Clement’s a winner and still going strong.

Emidio Pepe Montepulciano di Abruzzo Riserva 1975 is off the hook.

I have a mag of 75 La Mish, but it’ll cost ya. :wink:

I’ve had very positive experiences with the '75 Lafite, Giscours, Latour, Mouton, Latour Haut-Brion, Branaire-Ducru, and Haut-Brion.

I’ve had good experiances with all of the above too, as well as Pichon Lalande and LLC. The Giscours was probably the biggest surprise and was really nice.

I’ve had a few different '75 Rioja, and they’ve all been quite good. They’re rather more difficult to find than they used to be, as Rare Wine Co has been picked clean for quite some time [cray.gif]

Petrus

Thanks for the responses thus far.
Any one had any luck with Barolo from 75?

Edit:
ohh and Steve…my wife is from Redmond so any time you feel like poping that pesky mag you just let me know…I can “visit the inlaws” any time [cheers.gif]

My favorite 75 Bordeaux have been mostly Right Bank and Graves. I particularly like Pomerols, at least Trotanoy and L’Evangile.Don’t ignore California Cabs.

+1. Tough to find but have had some very good Pol Roger from '75 as well.

It is funny you mention CA.
I had a wonderful 1975 Ridge Lytton Springs Zin at Berns last time in Tampa.
A customer from the UK was visiting and I wanted to show him an aged California wine that drank more like a Claret.
It was a great success.

Agree with most of the Bordeaux selections mentioned above. Also, the wines owned by Cordier at the time (Gruaud Larose, Talbot, Meyney) were all quite successful.

Be aware, though, that the style of the 1975 Bordeaux is very, very different from the current vintages. Much more austere, hard and tannic. Some were too much so and never really came around, the good ones are excellent, but not at all the plush, rich style of today. Most benefit by decanting, but don’t let them sit too long, maybe decant just before serving.

1975 was generally a good cabernet vintage in Napa, although with far fewer excellent wineries in those days than today. The 1975 Phelps Eisele cab is a legendary wine. Heitz Marthas, Montebello, Stag’s Leap and others were in their heyday and can be excellent if well stored.

1975 is also excellent for German wines, especially the sweeties. Just so-so for Sauternes, however.

1975 was an ok year, not a great year in Barolo. Giacosa made a riserva from Bussia in 1975 that is outstanding, but may be out of your price range, even if you can find it.

Looking on Wine Searcher, I see a Marcarini Barolo Brunate for $176 which could be good. I also see that Rare Wine has the Giacosa Bussia Riserva, but it’s $595.

Depending on how much time you have, you might keep an eye out for either Rinaldi and either Mascarello. Bartolo Mascarello has an excellent track record in so-so vintages.

P.S. I’ve always liked the 75 La Lagune and the 75 d’Yquem.

75 Unico is my favorite wine for the vintage and it has a long life ahead of it.

second peter and the Vega
we had this at a friends fiftieth a few weeks ago and it still had a long life ahead of
lots of old classic clarets
liked some of the phelps from mid 70’s as well as ridge and some mondavi

Enjoyed a mag of 75 Mouton a lot. Didn’t enjoy 75 Palmer quite as much, by far.

La Mish is awesome but expensive. Haut Brion is also very good and much cheaper. I’ve been drinking through a case of HB.

had the 75 L’evangile and Gruaud Larose in February with Jaouen (he brought one of the two, forget which) and they were both great.

Always heard the 75 Trot was killer, but never had it.

This is my birth year as well. I’ve had the Haut-Brion, with another still in the cellar. It was very good and should still drink well for the next 10. Very “HB.” I have two Palmers in the cellar and a Mondavi Cab Reserve. The most common wines I’ve seen hit the market at the 75 LMHB, but it is ridiculously expensive and the jury is still out whether it will ever fully settle down. The 75 Yquem is consistently in the 400 range at auction, though an occasional split is available. Anything from Burgundy probably will not be worth it, as I’ve never seen anything positive about that vintage.

Just an FYI – there are a slew of “lesser” 75 Bordeaux available in the upcoming Zachys auction. If I remember correctly, there are about 10 full cases.