Are you an Over, or Under, type when it comes to capsule cutting?

How do you cut?

• Over annulus
  • Under the annulus
  • It depends
  • I prefer to cut off or remove the entire capsule

0 voters

I’ve found myself cutting above the annulus recently, and I think I prefer the look. For years, while working as a somm, I used to cut underneath, because I found pressing up into the annulus while doing standing service gave extra security and a nice guide for a clean cut. I sometimes would cut above, but only when I wanted to do a fancy cork presentation.

I have a friend who told me once that Europeans cut above the annulus, Americans underneath.

I just wonder…what is the preference here, and why?

For clarity, in the picture below, on the left is Above, and the right is Under:

I just pull the damn thing off.

That’s option #4, right? [wink.gif]

Yep, I do the same

Me too.

When I’m serving guests I usually cut above, but often I pull the whole capsule off.

If I can just pull it off (80-90% of the time) I do that. If not, over the annulus every time. It never occurred to me to cut it under the annulus. I saw the under cut done in a restaurant once and I wondered what the logic was (it just seemed like unnecessary work); thanks for your explanation, Chaad.

Underneath, or tear the entire thing off.

Way back when, capsules were made of lead and cutting beneath the annulus meant that the wine would not contact the capsule while pouring. I also learned to use a clean damp cloth to clean the lip of lead-capsuled bottles for the same reason.

Dude said annulus…

Early results show a strong preference for ripping the capsule off.

Are producers wasting their money on printed capsules and label matching designs? Does the lack of decorum in handling the capsule suggest the time for the screwcap is nigh? :slight_smile:

I just rip the cork out right through it… crude but effective.

I usually cut it over as I think it has better presentation when serving it to others. If it’s just me at home, I usually just rip the thing off.

[swoon.gif]

Although I guess its a propos to going berserk on your wine!

If I had a $250 corkscrew I’d probably be more anal about it. But I don’t and I’m not. [snort.gif]

I think it depends on the preference and experience of the mohel.

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

Not only do I not like thinking of a capsule as the foreskin of the bottle, I don’t like thinking of a mohel trimming it back all the way to the anus. Gaaaack!!

Standard of service is under. Goes back to lead capsules and not wanting to pour the wine over lead, also keeps annoying drips from collecting on foil if you cut over. If you ever want to pass a Somm exam cut under. It also let’s you control the blade when you cut under versus over.

A quick slit from the bottom of the capsule to the annulus and pull the whole off. Takes a few seconds.

Also. Have you noticed most foil cutters these days are made to cut over.

Cut over, unless it is going to be served blind, then removed the entire capsole . . .

Under.