Help, I'm in trouble.....the wife wants white Burgs!

She wants me to pick up a case of something we can have as an “everyday drinker”. What do you recommend for $15 or under? Chablis? Beaujo Blanc? Macon? Bourgogne?

Ballers need not inquire (got that Mr. Robert?)!!!

I hope I am not the Mr. Robert you are referring to but I have a solution for you.

Terres Dorees (Jean-Paul Brun) 2008 Beaujolais Chardonnay - $14.99 at Chambers. Astor has it to.

From David Schildknecht - 91 Points

The Terres Dorees 2007 Beaujolais Blanc Chardonnay displays a gorgeous aroma of diverse flowers, white peach, lime, grapefruit, and ocean breeze. There is positively chewy substance on the palate, yet the wine remains refreshing and lilting in personality. The chalky, leesy sense of extract is palpable, yet floral nuances and delicate peach and lime fruit positively soar into the finish, along with savory, saline, sweet, scallop-like notes. This beauty is more reminiscent of a fine Chablis or even Riesling than of a Chardonnay from the Macon or Cote d’Or. A revelatory example of what is possible in this appellation and vintage, you can enjoy the Brun 2007 Blanc over at least the next 2-3 years. (And should you run into any remaining bottles of the 2006, buy them, too!)

The prevalence of chalky soils in the south of Beaujolais is the principle reason why this area is classified merely as “Beaujolais” rather than “Beaujolais-Villages.” But it is also a reason why Chardonnay can achieve outstanding results here, even if there are few examples (even fewer of which carry the “Beaujolais Blanc” rather than “Bourgogne” appellation). Jean-Paul Brun’s is not just a too little-known treasure of Beaujolais, it is among the handful of consistently finest value Chardonnays on the planet.

I haven’t tasted it yet but the 2007 Brocard Petit Chablis is probably a good bet if the other 07’s from the lineup are any indication.

Robert,

Ha…no, meant “Mr. Robert” as in last name. Our dear Maoderator’s soon to be wife is lucky enough to be constatly supplied with Leflaive, Ramonet & Bonneau du Martray. Maybe someday I’ll be able to roll like that, but at the moment…no can do.

Thanks for nomitaing the JP Brun. I was actually in Astor on Tuesday, during their Beaujolais special, and picked up a bottle of the Miche Tete Julienas and a Chatelard Beaujolais Blanc (the only other white Beaujolais they have in stock). Will have her taste it this weekend and see how well she likes it.

Jorge,

I would throw in a bottle of 2007 Pepiere Muscadet Sur Lie Clos des Briords. Should easily find this under $15. If she likes white burgs, I don’t see how she could not like this. I love this stuff, and think it is one of the finest whites in the world for under $25 range and can easily compete much higher.

And throw some in the back, WAY back of the cellar, and enjoy in 15 years or more too!

If you must . . .

Something from Verget perhaps, Petit Chablis from Servin or some kind of Macon or Borgogne Aligote.

William Fevre Chablis Champs Royaux starts around $16-$18 so if you have a couple bucks stretch it’s usually a good value wine.

I’m sure there are some good Bourgogne Blancs out there and many other base Chablis in your price range. Luckily the 2007 vintage looks to be a winner so you’ll have nice wines to choose from. (I’d take 07 over 06 by a mile, and over 04 and 05 from what I’ve seen so far).

Thanks guys.

Steve - picked up about 10 bottles of 07 Pepiere Clos des Allees at Zachys for like $12/bottle. Awesome stuff. She actually likes Muscadet as well. Will try to convince her to stick with that.

Jorge,

edit: Oops, I didn’t notice that it was the Allees. I’ve not had that one.
Zachy’s has the Briords for $14.24.

But if you try the Briords, and like it or it compares, I would do the following:

If you like it that much, I am going to give you some great advice. GO GET MORE! I have twice reloaded, after buying three cases the first time. This stuff is too good for the price, and it will last forever. You might want to go to Chamber’s website and purchase an older muscadet. They age, get better too, and I think these are wines that will go 20+ years. Seriously.

and no premox fears, either!
alan

Year in and year out, I think Olivier Laflaive’s “Les Setilles” is a standout at around your target price.

I’m a big fan of the Brun Beaujolais Blanc, but another standout QPR is the Drouhin St Veran (Max has/had for about $150/cs). If she wants more Cote d’Or than Macon, the Matrot and Pernot Bourgognes are always pretty solid for under $20.

[/quote]and no premox fears, either!
alan[/quote]
Not too sure about that. I suspect other regions may be poxed as well. Certainly I’ve been having horrible luck with Loire valley whites lately… [cray.gif]

Lots of good white Burgundy producers put out fantastic basic Bourgogne Blancs that retail for under $20. Pernot’s Bourgogne Blanc is year-in year-out a delicious wine, as is Ramonet’s (though that has recently bumped up in price to around $21-22). Of course, there’s Leflaive too.

Good call on this Steve. WineX reloaded on these last week so I picked up a couple more. Told my friend behind the counter that I wanted some to put away for a few years and he laughed. I’ll teach him. :wink:

Chris,

I keep putting some in the back of my cabinets (I have three wine cabinets), and no matter what I do, they disappear. I honestly believe that you canNOT buy too much of Pepiere Briords!

Jorge, you’ll really be in trouble when she gets a taste for Montrachet and your wine budget gets depleted accordingly!

You might also want to try some Thevenet Macons. Garnet often has them on the shelf.

I also concur on the Brun 2007

Jorge,

As long as she likes them crisp and lean - the 2007 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis Domaine Sainte Claire is a great drinker under $20 (and screwcap!). I’ve already gone through 4 of these in the last couple of weeks. :smiley:

There are so many great suggestions in this thread. Make sure you guys keep track of what you both like. There are many interesting sites. Not sure if this was mentioned but St Aubin produces some really nice gems that don’t have the same price tag as something made in Puligny-Montrachet.