TN: Chateau de Sales, Pomerol

This wine is a good example of how a wine with a modest pedigree can preform like a big name wine. This wine wasn’t just good for a QPR Pomerol (I think I paid $22 for it) it was good for any Pomerol. I bought the wine on release, and haven’t yet tried it. I popped it yesterday and from the bottle the nose just jumped out. it could not be restrained as I poured it into my glass. Strong red fruit was strong and noticable, with lots of mineral/graphite aroma. The complexity was amazing in this wine. I managed to find tons of aromas in here: seaweed, cherry, rasberry, spice, and this was this odor that I couldn’t indentify initially, but I realized it was fruitcake. Yes, the very same fruitcake that is indicative of Pomerol in general. For some reason, I wasn’t expecting it in this inexpensive wine, but here it was. On the palate, the wine was medium bodied, nicely balanced, congruent. I kept getting the sense that the wine would fall apart in the glass with too much air as it seemed so ready. Luckily, it seemed to not be a problem as the wine was gone in 2 hours. This wine is easily 93 points.

could you specify which vintage Bob?

Danke

I’ll guess 2000?

Thanks for the note, Bob. Anyone sample the 2005?

picky picky picky, wanting the vintages with your notes. [blush2.gif] yes, it was the 2000.

Bob, that is great to read. I have a small cache from a mixed futures purchase and I haven’t tried any yet. The CT notes over the winter were not universally encouraging, so your note is welcome news.

-Michael

Thanks for the note Bob. I’m under represented in Pomerol. It’s nice to find some that don’t break the bank.

I’ve had a few bottles of the 2000 de Sales and concur with Bob. Indeed a good value. Not one of the ‘blue clay’ Pomerol locations but to my palate, the lighter ethereal pomerol type…me likey!

I WIN I WIN!!!

I have never tried De Sales though it is available pretty reasonably priced. Guess I should give one a whirl!

Bob,

You got me a little excited so I popped the 2004 for tonight’s in store tasting. It was lacking some punch and had some high acidity on the finish, but a very decent bottle that should improve with another couple of years. This is also about $25 retail but the sharp eyes might find some via the Diageo closeouts for less…

Try the 1999 and see who’s picky :smiley:

Has anyone had the 05 or 06 of the de Sales recently? Worth picking some up?

Scott