What are the world's highest rated most limited wines?

Hard to do a search on this one but how might one figure out what high scoring wines are ultra limited in production? While some VERY old First Growths and DRCs may be hard to come by, production on these was never super limited. I’m thinking about bottles like the Pegau Inspiration, SQN Hospice du Rhone, Next Of Kyn, etc. Think wine scoring 96+ with production under 1500 bottles. Any ideas how to gather this info? I’m more or less looking for some unique gift bottles from either France or the US.

Faiveley Musigny

Chateau Le Pin
Pomerol
600-700 cases per year

The only top-tier Bdx I have never seen or tried.

1 Like

Cayuse

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

+1. Doesn’t get a lot more rare or better than that!

Guigal La Mouline, Guigal La Turque, Guigal La Landonne, Ausone. Lafleur, perhaps the single vineyard Hermitages from Chapoutier, Sabon Secret, Marcoux VV, Beaucastel Hommage, Bonneau Celestins, Mordoree Plum Pientre, Vieille Julienne Reserve, Guigal Ex Voto, Chave Cathelin along with Numerous Calif wines which also qualilfy.

The '62 is one of the best wines I’ve had.

Production: Bottles made per vintage?

According to Musigny Grand Cru 2021 - Domaine Faiveley

Average annual production: 150 bottles;

With this production I am surprised Tanzer posts a review.

Still too high of production. It can be easily attained for the right price. 600-700 cases still equates to 7000-8000 bottles floating around out there. And I’d prefer to steer clear of Burgundy as none of the recipients of these gifts are Burg fans.

Production still too high.

The Julienne Reserve would apply as would the Chave Cathelin. Guigal La La’s are still a bit too high of production and fairly easy to source from multiple outlets as are some of the others on the list. What’s the production on the Celestins and Plum Pientre?

Not only extremely rare, but it actually more than deserves it’s matching exalted status…

Leflaive Montrachet.

Celestins production varies. But it is probably too high. While you can buy the La La’s, Mouline and Turque are between 400 and 500 cases. Chave Cathelin is very rare. Plum Pientre is between 125 - 150 cases. Hommage Perrin is also small. Most of the super Chateauneuf du Papes are very small production.

The Mordoree Plume in 03 or 05 might be interesting if not for a gift than for me to try out. Anyone have some at reasonable prices? The Secret from a good year might be another one I need to hunt down. I received a bottle of 91 Chave Cathelin as a gift this Christmas and I love the idea of buying not only trophy bottles but ones that are hard to find. I’ve learned high scoring trophies don’t always make a great experience but the rarer bottles at least provide a great story and a rare experience even if the wine inside doesn’t necessarily shine.

A Domaine D’Auvenay, like the Criots-Bâtard-Montrachet ought to qualify, and some other Leroy wines.

P Hickner

all of these are easily obtainable.

Roumier Musigny for sure.

\

I am here: Google Maps

Clos St Jean Sanctus Mags…

1 Like