TNs: 97 Montelena, 06 Brittan PN Basalt Block

• 1997 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/20/2011)
    Hadn’t sampled a cab in quite a while. Paired with T-bones. Purple in color with some bricking at the edges. Decanted for about an hour. From the get-go the nose exuded lovely smells of cassis, red currants, camphor, pine forest, cedar. Wonderfully balanced on the palate with excellent structure underlying layers of currant fruit, plum, menthol, and a bit of soy. Acidity was just right, providing verve and energy. Sweet grip and moderate, fine-grained tannins on the long, plum-infused finish. This wine is in a beautiful place right now, with years of pleasurable drinking ahead. (93 pts.)
  • 2006 Brittan Vineyards Pinot Noir Basalt Block - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville (12/17/2011)
    Popped and poured. Bright ruby. Nose of fresh plums, iodine, earth, cherry pits. Deeply concentrated flavors of black raspberry, cherry, caramel, and shist on the palate with racy acidity and still-structured tannins. Lots of grip. Finish is marked by sweet black fruit and minerals. Very impressive and quite powerful on this showing. Will undoubtedly age for years. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I love the nose on Montelena cabs - they really have an identifiable signature to me.

Thanx for the timely note on the 97 Montelena…I’m considering opening one tomorrow night… this might tip me…

Having a 91 and 92 Montelena over the Holidays will report back

Andrew,

Yes, the nose gave evidence that this would be a great showing and the palate was correspondingly outstanding.

Jim,

I hope your bottle shows well. Would be great to read your TN.

Joe,

The 91 and 92 should be in a good place. These beauties age extremely well.

Cheers,
Doug

Thanks for the notes Andrew . . . and it’s great to see notes on one of Robert Brittan’s wines up in OR. As you may know, Robert was the winemaker and General Manager at Stags Leap Winery under the ownership of Carl Doumani. He stayed there even after Carl sold the winery and it was purchased by Beringer. I met him while UC Davis - I contacted numerous wineries about my research and Robert was one of the first to respond - and one of my strongest supporters. His first love I believe is Petite SIrah and rhones, and was probably proudest of the Petites he helped make at Stags Leap as well as the old vine head trained 5 acre vineyard out front of the property he helped save - full of Peloursin, Durif, Carignane, Grenache, and Syrah. I have yet to try any of his Brittan wines but I think that may have to change sooner rather than later . . .

As far as the 97 Monty goes, I was wondering if their winemaking ‘style’ changed in 97 with a riper vintage a la so many other Napa Cab producers that year . . . Anyone have an inkling about this?

Cheers!

Larry,

Thanks for the bit of history on Robert Brittan. I knew about his Napa roots and was curious to taste his efforts with a different grape in a different state. The pinot is striking and focused. I’m really curious to see what happens with some bottle age.

I have tasted too few bottles of Chateau Montelena to be able to comment on any change in style through the years, so am also interested in other folks’ thoughts. The 1997 FWIW is stellar in its balance of power and elegance. I’m a fan.

Cheers,
Doug

Had the 91 last year and thought it was outstanding and just starting to hit its stride with years of enjoyment ahead.

I can’t comment on any potential style shift either, as my only post-1997 Montelena experiences are with the '98 (which is an excellent wine for the vintage and slows no departure in style from the earlier vintages, at least to my palate).

As for the '91, it is my all time favorite wine.

Robert Brittan was one of my early mentors. I first met him in the 80s when he was the winemaker at St. Andrews, a Chardonnay specific vineyard and winery on the Silverado Trail. I learned a lot from him. After St. Andrews was sold he took the position at Stags Leap.

John,

Thanks for the info. Good guy who would be a good mentor to anyone, I’m convinced.

As far as the Monty goes, I have a 91 pulled out to pour for my parents to celebrate their Anniversary - really looking forward to it.

Cheers

Thanks for the notes. Glad to hear about the Monty. Down to 1 bottle but that one is going to sleep until he is 30.

Jason

We had the 97 Montelena on Wednesday night along with a pretty stellar line-up (including a fabulous 1983 Dominus, an always well-performing 1991 Ridge Santa Cruz Cab and an amazing 2003 Phelps Backus), and I finished the last 1/4 bottle with lunch today (Friday). No sign of aging from the color. Completely balanced, with resolved tannins and excellent acidity wrapped in with red fruit. Two days out and this is still a beautiful wine that was worth every penny I recently paid for it on WineBid.

If you have these, they should be drinking really well right now, but this wine is in no near-term danger of turning down. Just a lovely wine to taste and experience over a number of hours and, now, days.

Last Night with Standing Ribeye Roast, Roasted Garlic Mashed and Roasted Asparagus…
1992 Montelena Estate…still going strong tannins resolved but there holding this wonderful wine for a nice run into the future. Cassis, Pencil and Graphite Cigar box hints, and a sweetness that is only Monty! Slight bricking no real funkiness I would say still strong for another 5 years at least. 93-94 Points. [cheers.gif]

Jason, Jim, Joe,

Good to know that you have had good experiences with the 97 also. It is definitely open for business. The 92 sounds delicious.

These Monty’s have such a long drinking window.

Cheers,
Doug