TN: 2006 Alpha Omega Napa Valley Chardonnay

Clear, yellow in color. Tropical fruit and some low level oak aromatically. Palate gives more weight than you would think from looking at it in the glass. Good, viscous mouthfeel, with pineapple & peaches in the palate. Has seen oak, but not enough to be distracting. Acid is enough to keep it together, but walks the line and not to be confused with a Chablis. Winemaker used to work at Newton and that is exactly what I think when I drink this wine – and for me, that is a good thing. Recommended and enjoyed both personally and by the boss.

Sounds like what oak was there was neutral, and that it wasn’t all that much. That’s the only Chardonnay I would like to drink…

I may pop one of the 05 Cabs tonite. Im in the cab only club at AO. Also got some of the ERAS when I visited…anyone tried it?

The ERA is fantastic – but so young and tight that I can’t suggest opening it for at least 12 months. The sneaky wine of the 06’s – the Prop Red. I thought it a junior version of the Era (at 1/3 the cost) and for more immediate consumption, the far superior choice.

I had only tried the ERA in the barrel. Bought the three bottle futures based on that. Problem is they dont give much info on it. It came in a wood box, with no intro letter or anything.
I agree with the proprietary red being a good QPR…I think in both shipments this year they sent 05 cab to me though, Ill have to check.

The 05’s were a step up from 04. The 06’s are a step up from the 05. I think the 05 Cab is really nice - but it doesn’t have the power of its 06 brother in either the regular Cab or the ERA.

From the website, the ERA:

Cabernet Sauvignon 35%, Merlot 28%, Cabernet Franc 20%, Petit Verdot 17%

Appellations:
Oakville, Beckstoffer’s To Kalon; Atlas Peak, Stage Coach Vineyards; Spring Mountain, Newton Vineyard

I actually had called them to find out what was in the ERA as soon as I got the wine. I had forgotten I ordered it when I was there… [drinkers.gif]
Never tried an AO I didnt thin was at least tasty, so Im confident…

Since 2004, I would agree with you. I’ve really been impressed with their whites as well. They were doing an unoaked chard that was killer. Next time you are in the Valley, call ahead and taste with Jean. Nice guy and the keeper of the barrel samples!

Disclosure: I know a lot of people at AO, but have no stake in their operation whatsoever. I just think they do good work.

Agreed. I’m not a fan of Cali Chardonnay, but I just had a very nice one…06 Landmark Overlook.