Green stuff on a Monprivato cork

This cork came from a 2003 Monprivato opened last night. The top of the cork was pristine, but there were green organic-looking specks on the bottom of the cork, and the wine itself tasted foul with tastes of corroded metal …

I’ve seen crystals on the bottom, or mold on the top of the cork, but never this. Does anyone know what this may be?

Green and metal…sounds like copper. Copper sulfate perhaps? Someone with more knowledge in this area would probably have a better answer, but again, green and metal to me sounds like copper.

Sure sounds like copper in some form. Gross.

You’re a brave soul. I’m not sure I could’ve gotten myself to drink any…green organic matter and wine don’t mix, for me.

Hate to bust it to you, dude, but I know what it is.

Weird. Never seen it and never hope to. Perhaps got too close to some crop dusting powder?

I opened a 2003 that had the same green - however the wine seemed fine and I didn’t detect any off flavors.

Interesting. I did leave the bottle open and after half a day some of that scent/taste seems to have subsided but still rather undrinkable. Was your bottle showing well, Eugene?

Did you turn into the Incredible Hulk or maybe Kermit the Frog after the bottle?

I think Giuseppe did some bottling that year. Those are probably just his boogers. [snort.gif]

[rofl.gif]

Zai,

Not really much in the know about this, but pm Birger Verjum who is an expert on Barolo and is out in Piedmont at least 2 to 3 times a year. If you cannot contact him on this forum, contact him through the Wine-pages forum in the UK. He is a regular contributor there. There are also a few Barolo experts on the forum aswell.

It looks like discolored tartrate crystals.

John,

I agree with you but like my explanation better. [basic-smile.gif]

Mine was actually showing reasonably well - nice cherry fruits with good tannin and acid balance. Not as much earth or tar as I’d like, but pretty open for a young barolo - might be the '03 vintage, but I haven’t wanted to open some of my younger bottles to compare.

As John said, tartrates. I would guess a coincidence between tartrates and some kind of off flavor.

Tartrates are a good thing, generally.