TN: 2007 La Bastide Saint-Dominique Châteauneuf-du-Pape

• 2007 La Bastide Saint-Dominique Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/4/2011)
    This one is interesting. 80% Grenache, 10% Syrah, and the rest Mourvedre and Cinsault. A huge, dark, brawny wine that has a very interesting and intriguing nose. Black fruit, iodine notes, leather, earth. Massive on the palate and very plush in its style. Despite the massive fruit, there is zero heat in the wine, and it’s drinking well, although it clearly needs either a lot of air or a few years in bottle. Finish is just a touch clipped for my taste. All in all, a good value it it can be found for less than $25.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note Steffen and glad to see this show well. I like it.

Jeb. I obviously liked it, too. The interesting thing is that I am not sure I have ever had a CdP with a similar flavor profile. I would almost call it odd. The iodine note is very pronounced and the minerality is therefore, as well. This will be an interesting one to follow for the next few years.

Great producer… if you have a chance, give his Secrets de Pignan (gorgeous Grenache) and Les Hesperides (mainly Mourvedre) a try.

I stayed at this estate when I visted the Printemps de Châteaneuf-du-Pape last year.
The owners are very dedicated winegrowers and they do good work.

They made a “Cuvée Cloris” in 2008, a one-off thing in honor of their daughter.

The wine is good young, it’s good old, what more could you ask for?

Best regards,
Alex R.