TN: one person's trash is another's treasure?

• 2008 Château d’Oupia Vin de Pays de l’Hérault Les Hérétiques - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Vin de Pays de l’Hérault (12/6/2011)
    Initial overpowering barnyard nose blew off a bit after a few minutes, but resulting wine is weirdly acidic and plummy at the same time. Like thin plum wine gone bad. Throw in some slight frizzante in the mouth and a “cabbagey” finish. I’m gonna say flawed, but it seems consistent with other tasters experience. NR (flawed)

Posted from CellarTracker

Help me out here…how do other tasters describe overwhelming brett, fermentation in bottle, cabbage, etc and not claim a flawed wine?

Its fun reading the notes on that wine. A quick perusal let me know this has a note of “strong terroir”. I also found out that putting it in the fridge will allow the brett to “burn off”. Also a pertinent question: “can brett be out of balance?”.

Sounds like the brett is variably in these at the very least. There are also a wide range of tolerances for brett. Looks like some definite brett blooms going on though.

Huh… I’ve had that recently and didn’t get that at all. Oh wait… 2008… I think I had 09. I’ll check next time, but my bottle at least didn’t show any fizz nor any cabbage smell.

It seems that “natural” wine lovers need to have a high tolerance for Brett.
That is certainly the case with Dressner wines.

P Hickner

Generalize much?

Rick,

I’ve tasted through a line-up of Louis Dressner wines several times. There are always a significant percentage showing Brett, even at a young age.
I’ve experienced the exact same thing with Garagiste selections, So many that if Jon touts the “natural” wine making, I pass.

P Hickner

Yeah, I like my TCA in balance…just the right amount of wet newspaper to balance the fruit.

Hmm, not something I notice especially with the Dressner wines. Possibly that you’re quite sensitive to it (either in terms of detecting it or having it be objectionable).

Not the best vintage for this cuvee and I agree on the brett. I like it though.