TN: 2006 Luciano Sandrone Barolo Cannubi Boschis (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

• 2006 Luciano Sandrone Barolo Cannubi Boschis - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (12/5/2011)
    Receiving the winter Newsletter from Sandrone, I gambled on opening the 06 Cannubi Boschis. I am glad to report that I hit the jackpot.

The color is not unlike the barrel sample of the 05 Mugnier Musigny, clear bluish red. This is all about finesse, once again the nose and the palate reminds me of the 05 Mugnier Musigny.

Crushed blueberries, truffle, a hint of anise, roasted beet, caramel, steamy sappy goodness but none really sticks out as they are in perfect harmony. This is one of those great rare young wines that I can feel and smell the immeasurable depth.

The palate displays excellent concentration, sweet ripe fruit, animal, and tar with noticeable but silky tannins. The finish is incredibly long, the sappy Burgundian note resonates.

I am speechless as I didn’t expect the incredible finesse. The 06 Cannubi is flirting with perfection. (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Kevin, got some myself. Pleased I did !!

I have to agree with your note…I tasted this with Luciano in Piedmont in May and was absolutely spellbound…
The 2006 Le Vigne is also really quite special as well.

Thanks for the nice note, Kevin–bought some of the Le Vigne of this producer a few months back and have been looking forward to trying it.

Hmm… thanks for posting - Kevin.

It really hurts to hear the last sentence : flirting with perfection. I forget to buy the 06. I own many other vintage of this wine …but when SAQ released the 06 a couple of months ago, I was not fast enough to go the Stores. Don’t forget…it is not a Burgundy [wink.gif] .

BTW…how would you compare the 06 with 05, 03 and 00 ?

Any comments would be appreciated ! [cheers.gif]

Good news on the “crushed blueberries”, too. Always very much in evidence in the great years for that wine, for some reason. The 1996 was dominated by blueberry aroma and taste in its youth, and fun to drink early because of it…

How is pricing in the USA for the 07’s?

Barbara told me that they kept prices the same despite the positive reviews.

Really nice people. I know it should not matter, but it makes the wines even more gratifying!

Peter,
I am afraid that I don’t have much reference as I was just buying the older vintages to consume immediately but that is changing.

Bill,
I know you are a Baroli head. You outta try this now. Just gorgeous! BTW this is Jeff 82 pointer at max. [wow.gif]

Jamie,
I just checked CT and I paid less for the 07 ($107) than the 06 ($123) from the same source. I also got some mags and a bottle each of dms.

Kevin - merci.

BTW this is Jeff 82 pointer at max. > [wow.gif] >

I felt better already.

Nice. Ditto for the 2001 at release.

Thanks for the update Kevin. Might have to pop one for the holidays…

By the way, how much air did you give it?

Pop and pour for very young serious reds for me. I tend to decant young white Burgundies though. It was truly profound from the start.

Thanks for the note. The 2000 was the best Barolo I had all year! I will have to seek out some 06!

Couldn’t believe to find this on the list of a Peruvian restaurant here in Tampa. It was the only Barolo they had. Wine was cellared and in perfect condition. It was super shy on the nose. It took a lot of coaxing to get anything initially on the nose. I think lousy stems might have contributed a bit. My wife’s first response when she tasted was “tight”. We decanted for about 45 minutes.

After decanting it showed some floral notes and dark fruit. A slight dusty funk note was the only hint that this wine was not much younger. Big blue fruit notes with truffle that still show a bit of the effect of oak. The wine had richness and depth and opened up a bit through dinner. I was surprised at how young this still was and think this is just entering it’s drinking window. I’ve only had the 2016 Sandrone Nebbillo which is really good as a comparison point for Sandrone. It looks like current vintages do not have as much oak imprint. This wine is now called Aleste.

AG tasted the 06 recently along with the 2016’s. I scored it a bit lower than his 98 but do think it would have showed quite a bit better with more air and proper glasses. I might just have to go back and try again.

Cheers

Thanks for the update. I think Barolos go through a lean period where iron and cinnamon dominate. I love trying them young when the fruit is still expressive.

Hi Kevin- same here, this was not lean at all. Somewhat full bodied with plenty of fruit still showing. Really want to try this in 5 years or so.

Fred,
Sandrone makes great wine and gets very favorable rating but not en vogue, IMHO.

1 Like