Total Wine & More fail

My ex-wife went in to Total Wine looking for a dry white full bodied white with oak influence and was sold a private label Vouvray and a private label CA Pinot Noir. Total Wine & More is the worst.

+1

Total Swine.

Only enter store for beer!

They do have a nice Bourbon selection too…

This is true.

Ours has some good wines but you better know what you’re doing. Depending on help will get you a lot of, " A Private ______________ Selection." Lots of profit margin in that generic juice.

…and they are expanding very, very rapidly. I have a feeling they may take over Bev Mo, which seems to be creaking along.
We shall see!

[scratch.gif] Sounds like a major WIN to me. [wow.gif]

Can occasionally find decent wines at mismarked pricing. Hit and miss, and don’t rely on suggestions.

with their $20 off per $100 and some knowledge there are good deals to be had there, but you have to know what you are looking for.

Ha! I knew I was going to get that from someone… We get along pretty well so I wish her no ill will with her wine! I told her that she was sold private label/high profit wine not based on what she was looking for. I think she’s going to try to return it.

I agree with some of the others, they are okay for those who are wine educated when they have a good deal on something. It’s unfortunate though that they seem to prey most on those new to wine who are looking to branch out.

The staff is trained to recommend “Winery Direct” (100% + margins) wines no matter what you ask for, if they don’t they get fired. Just one of 10,000 reasons I left.

+1

I’m not a hater, they serve their purpose. The one in Tustin is quite large and I can always find something interesting to use the coupon on.

We have a new store with a similar business model to TW, except the new place is locally owned. They intend to go head to head with TW. I’ll pay them a visit and report.

You guys are letting one little incident tarnish a good store. They have a large selection of wines that are major labels and the vast majority of them are very competitively priced.

If you know what you are looking for you can very often find better deals there than other stores.

They could never be my only store but they have a very useful place in my purchasing scheme.

Who would send someone in there to get a recommendation from their staff? [scratch.gif] That is like asking for clothing recommendations at Costco.

Total Wine is hit or miss for wine but I have and do find some good deals there. And they get even better with the coupons. Awesome for beer.

how does this work, is it an automatic thing or do you have to sign up for some frequent shopper card?

You kinda have to know what you’re looking for, and not rely on the variably informed employees. They do stock some interesting stuff, much moreso than BevMo. For example, the TW near me has Lagier Merideth, Siduri, Musar, Joguet.

Total wine is way better than bevmo.

Honestly, I know what I want so I don’t need advice from them.