TN '07 CDP Ray Usseglio Cuvee Imperiale

'07 CDP Ray Usseglio Cuvee Imperiale

Popped & poured over 3 hours before & with grilled steak dinner.

Very deep red.

Huge, deep aromatic nose from the get-go. Wild, red, black & Morello Cherry. Blueberry, violet, lavender, licorice, Cassis/fresh blackcurrant, rose petal, cherry bark, & balsam.
Serious intensity here.
Fresh concentrated Grenache perfume. Sweetness, richness, ripeness & freshness in perfect balance as well as very intense.
Fruit forward, but very complex, deeply concentrated fruit. OH YEAH!

On the palate > Rich, deep & fresh, echoing the complex combo of cherry, Cassis, lavender, blackcurrant, licorice & spice on the nose.
Very intense.
Power & concentration builds through mid palate, & on through finish totally packed with intense fruit.
Intensity, concentration, depth, length, fruit, & spicy-fruit define this baby.
Great perfumed, fruit-drenched exotic yet fresh aftertaste.

Not the least bit of alcohol (15% on label) showing whatsoever.

Yes, WOW.

96 Points

Love the style, class & quality here. In fact the best '07 CDP I’ve had to date.
Handily surpasses the Vieux Donjon, my previous fave, & only a few buck more.

Do want to get more!

[cheers.gif]

Thanks for the note. We don’t see a lot of notes on Ray Usseglio’s wines.

Byron

Too bad, 'cause this Kicks Ass, & is pretty special.

Bought a selection of '07’s & am going back for more of this. A QPR @ $70!

[cheers.gif]

This sounds terrific, but wow, this has shot up in price! I got 3 bottles for $45 back in 2009.

Wow! Like THAT deal!

Bravo & Cheers to great deals on great vino!

[cheers.gif]

Hi Pat, Are you sure you got the Imperiale for $45, that would be quite a deal for 2009 pricing. Ray Usseglio makes a few different Cuvee including standard CDP and Girard.

Steve I bought a case that shipped to me in December 2009 and looking back through the invoices I paid $ 46.95 per bottle so $ 45 wouldn’t have been out of range back then, and this one I think was a bit under the radar.

I’ve liked it the couple of times I’ve had it – rich and creamy with lovely lush fruit, but well balanced and not over the top or hot in any way.

It may be a question of which vintage he bought. Price hikes on this wine have been steep. If indeed he bought the 07, that was a good price.

I’m not a big fan of Raymond Usseglio and especially of the special cuvee. Too big, creamy and lush for me.

It was the Imperiale, I think it was pre-arrival from JJBuckley at that price.

I also got the Clos Mont Olivet Cuvee Papet 2007 for a bit more than $45, too.

Good deals to be sure, but I didn’t realize it was that good.

Anyone had the CdMO Papet '07?

I originally got the '07 Vieux Donjon for $50, but that certainly pales more than slightly compared to the Imperiale @ $45.

[cheers.gif]

Yup, awesome bottle of wine.