A few nice burgs in HK

Huge thank you to David Wainright for kindly bringing together a great group of burghounds to keep me entertained on a quick trip to Hong Kong. An incredibly generous crowd helped me to enjoy:

2000 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (11/30/2011)
Initially, aggressive mousse and acidity as would be expected. However, this opened surprisingly quickly to reveal notes of acacia honey and sugared lemons. Quite impressive by the end of the evening.

2000 Domaine Leroy Latricières-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Latricières-Chambertin Grand Cru (11/30/2011)
Nose was initially full of dark, seductive fruit. However, the palate was immediately wrong - thin, acidic and clipped. Sure enough, TCA rapidly became apparent. NR (flawed)

2002 Domaine Leroy Latricières-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Latricières-Chambertin Grand Cru (11/30/2011)
Powerful, meaty nose of sensuous, dark fruit. Extremely primary on the palate though. Deep, full throttle/powerful but with pretty tightly coiled tannins very present. Leave for at least another 15 years if not longer.

2000 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru (11/30/2011)
Spectacular showing. Gorgeous nose of supple, dark red fruits matched by a seamless palateof great depth and persistence. Clearly WOTN.

2000 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Romanée St. Vivant Grand Cru (11/30/2011)
On any other night this would have been acknowledged for what it was, an excellent bottle. However, just not as giving tonight as the la tache. Showed quite a bit younger than the la tache, with grippy tannins clipping the finish after some lovely, precise red fruits.

2002 Domaine Ponsot Clos de la Roche Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru (11/30/2011)
Similar, intriguingly kinky nose to the last time I tried this in 2008. All barnyard, truffles and mushrooms with very dark fruit. Palate, if anything more closed than the last time. What was there was rich, ripe and very dark!

2000 Emmanuel Rouget Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (11/30/2011)
This got a little lost as the last wine of the evening which was a shame as it was superb. Deep red fruits, seamless and with lovely balance. Very impressive.

A nice line-up! Too bad about the 2000 Leroy Latricieres. I’ve never had one of her Latricieres, and with the prices now it doesn’t look like I will be able to afford any!

Nice line-up! When would you project the 02 Ponsot CdlR drinking window to start?

Nice lineup, thanks for the notes Dan.

Had the Ponsot '02 earlier this year, so dark and closed, I’d leave it for 10 years at least. Might be spectacular in another 20…

Paul,

I carried both the leroy latricieres out to HK with me as I just had a sixth sense that one would fail! TCA’s like the honey badger - “it don’t give a sh*t what it kills”!

Dan

20 sounds about right to me.