Recommendations please: Sweet white dessert wines

I’m a big fan of Sauternes, but as the prices keep going up I’m buying less and less. I recently discovered some really good late harvest sweet wines from California and would love some more recommendations. The two that I have now are Hoing Late harvest Sauvignon blanc and Bedrock late harvest Semilion and I really like them both. Others I should try? Thanks in advance

You might try Deborah’s Delight from Justin Vineyards. Mostly orange muscat (with a bit of Viognier) and about 10% RS.

Chateau de Fesles Bonnezeaux

Navarro Late Harvest Cluster Select Riesling
Note: Their Gewurztraminer and Muscat versions are also delicious when they are made
Beringer Nightingale
Far Niente Dolce

Loire Valley

German Auslesen (& up), Tokaji, Sauternes, Sherry, Madeira, Loire Chenins, & Muscats from many countries, to name a few all have their time & place.

The fun part is figuring out the what, when & why for your palate.

[cheers.gif]

Heinz Eifel Beerenauslese or Eiswein if you can find them

Lots of good late harvest and ice wines in WA, usually under $25 for a 375ml.

Some late harvest Vidal and Riesling from Niagara as well as Vidal and Riesling icewine from the Finger Lakes and Niagara regions.

Also consider Fleur du Cap Noble Late Harvest from South Africa as well as any Vouvray Moelleux from France.

Lastly, if the price of Sauternes is what is turning you off, try finding some Loupiac or Pacherenc du Vic-Bilh, two recommendations which were recently made to me here on Berserkers.

German Auslese and Baumard Quarts de Chaume (pats belly)

You can also find some great sweet wines at reasonable prices from Jurancon.

M @ r k

This was the big reason I said Loire Valley
Baumard QdC for 50 or 60 bucks in full bottles?
No brainer

Agree. And, if there are just a few of you, you can get away with a half bottle!

The 89 Huet Cuvee Constance is probably too much at $250-300 for a 500ml.
But you may be able to find the 1995 for about $80.
Amazing stuff.

Look at the the SVD Molleux Premier Trie bottlings as well.

for less than 30 bucks!

Recently had a Chat. Tirecul Cuvee Madame 1996, a very nice sweet white. Normally around $80-90, HDH has it for $45 for a 500 ml bottle.

A very good inexpensive Sauternes is La Fleur D’or (The Golden Flower). The 2005 is especially good.

Thanks for all of the recommendations. I’ll seek some out

There are some nice vin glaces of Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris made in Oregon. Examples are J Albin and King Estate.

P Hickner