Most Underrated Producer in Burgundy?

D’ Angerville? Certainly gets fairly top dollar for his wines but not nearly as much as similarly rated wines from Dujac.

Craig, can you define “underrated”? Like…does price come into consideration?

D’Angerville is a star domaine…hard to see how it’s underrated, by any criterion. In some ways, Emmanuel Rouget is by far the most underrated producer in Burgundy…no one gives him any credit for anything…other than being Henri Jayer’s nephew…which is a shame. But, I don’t really understand the criteria for such a question.

I’m sure there are lots and lots of great producers we’ve never heard of.

I would also agree with Stuart, in a similar sense, that Emmanuel Rouget is underrated. My sense was the constant (and almost always unfavourable) comparison to his uncle must be very difficult personally.

I’m not sure if they’re the most underrated producer in Burgundy but I’ve mentioned this before, Rossignol-Trapet would be my nomination. Wines are as good as just about anyone in Gevrey but don’t get the love, prices and accolades others do.

Yes, I’m not sure how to define it myself but certainly the price is factor. But then I should have ask who is the best value I guess. I just noticed that in spite of the great press D’Angerville consistently gets, the wines tend to sell for less and sit on shelves longer than say Mugnier, Rousseau, Roumier, and Dujac. Sorry my criteria isn’t very clear to me either. D’ Angerville just seemed to come to mind.

Yeah, d’Angerville is far from under-rated and even further from being most under-rated.

I think you need some combination of lack of recognition (primarily in America I guess although perhaps that is a bit xenophobic), good to excellent holdings (clearly you can’t have the best holdings for the most part as you would have a hard time being under-rated), decent-ish pricing and at least some sort of history.

I could see Domaine Newman falling into this category. Barely any U.S. distribution, holdings in Bonnes Mares that are good, holdings in Mazi that are excellent, Beaune Greves and a few other places. Very small production across the board. Wines aren’t the top of the heap but they’re pretty damn good. Perhaps he falls more into “unknown” than “under-rated” but he is certainly closer to under-rated than d’Angerville is.

This thread is a trap!

big +1

Underrated = Rated too low
We could go with the obvious definition. [snort.gif]
Most of the Burg producers talked about here receive very favorable press from Meadows, Tanzer, Gilman, etc. Who are those producers whose critic reviews (or lack thereof) leave you scratching your head?

No I just need Berry’s, most underrated list :slight_smile:

White- Bernard Moreau. Although Gilman rates them properly.
Red- Roblet Monnet.

I do sell both, but I should be if I feel they are that good :wink:

Burguet

DRC
Dujac
Leroy
Mugnier
Rousseau
Roumier
Comte Vogue
Jayer

Shh!!!

D’Angerville costs less than his Cote De Nuits peers because his wines come from the Cote De Beaune.It really is as simple as that.

How do you explain Lafarge? Maybe its just in the states but the wines are pretty expensive here.

I think d’Angerville prices are on par with many comparable CdN producers that don’t have a Grand Cru.

Really? they aren’t cheap here but nor are they in the region of your underrated favourites!!

Few are. Thank god.

Dublere

That is a good call. Volnays that taste like my platonic ideal of volnay.

I bet Blair’s '08 whites are killer, too…need to pick some up.