The most underrated village in Burgundy

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Peter Chiu

Re: The most underrated village in Burgundy

#51 Post by Peter Chiu » November 25th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Lee Short wrote:Chassagne-Montrachet -- for red wines.
That is also a wonderful choice..... [cheers.gif]

Ken McNamara

#52 Post by Ken McNamara » November 25th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:haven't been able to figure out what it's about. Without defining anything, it seems like sort of a meaningless question. (Brochon might be the most "underrated" village, as it makes arguably the best epoisses around (especially, the raw milk version that is sold in Europe).
The thread is about Howard professing his love for MSD! Since it is hard to tell a village such a thing about its wine - he is doing it here:)

If we are talking cheese then Beaune is the most underrated - Alain Hess' Delice de Pommard is the best cheese I have ever had bar none! It was created to be paired with the regions "rogue" which it does, but it has a finish that disappears and then comes back forcing one to impulsively eat more that it is good enough on its own.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Scott Brunson » November 25th, 2011, 4:36 pm

Ken McNamara wrote:
Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:haven't been able to figure out what it's about. Without defining anything, it seems like sort of a meaningless question. (Brochon might be the most "underrated" village, as it makes arguably the best epoisses around (especially, the raw milk version that is sold in Europe).
The thread is about Howard professing his love for MSD! Since it is hard to tell a village such a thing about its wine - he is doing it here:)

If we are talking cheese then Beaune is the most underrated - Alain Hess' Delice de Pommard is the best cheese I have ever had bar none! It was created to be paired with the regions "rogue" which it does, but it has a finish that disappears and then comes back forcing one to impulsively eat more that it is good enough on its own.
cheese doesn't need a new thread, it needs a completely new website!
I'll add Soumaintrain if I'm allowed to drive northwest.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by maureen nelson » November 25th, 2011, 9:59 pm

Ken McNamara wrote: The thread is about Howard professing his love for MSD! Since it is hard to tell a village such a thing about its wine - he is doing it here:)

Terrific post - because you nailed what the thread is about - and you've identified the most delicious cheese anywhere! Delice de Pommard was served to me at a dinner in a home this summer in burgundy by a knowledgeable local and the group insisted we get to eat it several more times during the week. I tried to figure out how to get some home but didn't. I don't suppose you know of anyone importing it, do you?

Anthony Hall

#55 Post by Anthony Hall » November 25th, 2011, 10:06 pm

maureen nelson wrote:
Ken McNamara wrote: The thread is about Howard professing his love for MSD! Since it is hard to tell a village such a thing about its wine - he is doing it here:)

Terrific post - because you nailed what the thread is about - and you've identified the most delicious cheese anywhere! Delice de Pommard was served to me at a dinner in a home this summer in burgundy by a knowledgeable local and the group insisted we get to eat it several more times during the week. I tried to figure out how to get some home but didn't. I don't suppose you know of anyone importing it, do you?
You must try his triple cream with fresh truffle - another of his inventions.
I used to have a modest burgundyman url as a signature. Now if you want to learn about luxury winelover accomodation in Meursault you have to finish reading this much more promotional sentence and press the button with 3 W's in it.

Tom Blach

#56 Post by Tom Blach » November 26th, 2011, 12:24 am

I'm not sure that MSD is underrated. What I would say to someone who knew nothing of Burgundy, though, is that if you're going to pick a wine blind then the Morey label gives a better chance of success than any other.
I'm not sure that the rustic and age-requiring reds from Chassagne will ever be popular, but I love them. The catch js that they generally need at least 25 years, though Ramonet can be enjoyed younger.
Pommard is now very underrated. It has been stuck with the image of its worst wines which are indeed impenetrable, heavy and dull. One has to try quite hard to find these nowadays though.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Scott Brunson » November 26th, 2011, 2:00 am

Tom Blach wrote:I'm not sure that MSD is underrated. What I would say to someone who knew nothing of Burgundy, though, is that if you're going to pick a wine blind then the Morey label gives a better chance of success than any other.
I'm not sure that the rustic and age-requiring reds from Chassagne will ever be popular, but I love them. The catch js that they generally need at least 25 years, though Ramonet can be enjoyed younger.
Pommard is now very underrated. It has been stuck with the image of its worst wines which are indeed impenetrable, heavy and dull. One has to try quite hard to find these nowadays though.
I bought 09 Epenots from Courcel
I have hope
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Tom Blach

#58 Post by Tom Blach » November 26th, 2011, 5:04 am

Courcel can scarcely put a foot wrong these days. The 2004 Bourgogne rouge was one of my wines of the year last year.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Howard Cooper » November 26th, 2011, 7:02 am

Ken McNamara wrote:

I will have to try that cheese next time I go to Burgundy. Right now, my favorite cheeses are Swiss, the mountain cheeses like Hoch Ybrig, Napf Kase, etc. See, e.g., http://www.artisanalcheese.com/cheese/ or http://www.arrowine.com/cheese.aspx or http://www.rolfbeeler.ch/cheese/cheese.asp
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Berry Crawford

#60 Post by Berry Crawford » November 26th, 2011, 7:09 am

Why are we all dancin around the obvious? Its clearly Vosne Romanee.

Ken McNamara

#61 Post by Ken McNamara » November 26th, 2011, 7:27 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
Ken McNamara wrote:[http://www.arrowine.com/cheese.aspx or
Perry can order it for you.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Howard Cooper » November 26th, 2011, 8:03 am

Ken McNamara wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:
Ken McNamara wrote:[http://www.arrowine.com/cheese.aspx or
Perry can order it for you.
I will talk with him next time I go in. Thanks.
Howard

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Dan Kravitz » November 28th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Great call on Chassagne for reds.

Besides Chandon des Briailles, good call on Rapet for Ile des Vergelesses. Delarche is a real contender. Rollin and Dubreuil also good but not on the same level. There are other producers, but what I've had hasn't impressed.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Ray Walker

#64 Post by Ray Walker » November 29th, 2011, 1:06 am

I would say red Chassagne. Look at the reputation Clos St Jean lost. Prices dwarfed those of Le Montrachet...
ITB
Maison ILAN

Guillaume Deschamps
Contributor
Contributor

#65 Post by Guillaume Deschamps » November 29th, 2011, 2:16 am

Ray Walker wrote:I would say red Chassagne. Look at the reputation Clos St Jean lost. Prices dwarfed those of Le Montrachet...
I much preferred this thread when people were focusing on Pernand-Vergelesses.
ITB @roumegaire roumegaire.com

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Howard Cooper » November 29th, 2011, 6:16 am

Ken McNamara wrote:The thread is about Howard professing his love for MSD! Since it is hard to tell a village such a thing about its wine - he is doing it here:)
I have also told the village about my love for the wine. Or at least professed my love for MSD when in MSD. Next time I am there, should I express my love to the village or the vineyards?
Howard

Peter Chiu

#67 Post by Peter Chiu » November 29th, 2011, 7:12 am

Dan Kravitz wrote:Great call on Chassagne for reds.

Besides Chandon des Briailles, good call on Rapet for Ile des Vergelesses. Delarche is a real contender. Rollin and Dubreuil also good but not on the same level. There are other producers, but what I've had hasn't impressed.

Dan Kravitz

While most of Pavelot's reds are from S-L-Beaune but he does make Les Vergelesses ( but no Ile des Vergelesses).

Ken McNamara

#68 Post by Ken McNamara » November 29th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
Ken McNamara wrote:The thread is about Howard professing his love for MSD! Since it is hard to tell a village such a thing about its wine - he is doing it here:)
I have also told the village about my love for the wine. Or at least professed my love for MSD when in MSD. Next time I am there, should I express my love to the village or the vineyards?
You can profess to both, but not in earshot of your wife and definitely not in earshot of the adjoining Chambolle or Gevrey!

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#69 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » November 30th, 2011, 4:22 am

He could just kiss both Truchots....wherever he wants. They could be his medium. Seal the deal.

As Bobby Vinton sang:

Baby, I promise you this
I'll send you all my love
Every day in a letter
Sealed with a kiss

Gaudissabois Johan

#70 Post by Gaudissabois Johan » May 25th, 2020, 10:28 am

Friends,

Nuits-St-Georges overrated? You must be joking : never drank Nuits by Chevillon, Thibault Liger-Belair (les Saint Georges), Gouges or Grivot ? Underrated I say : these are wines that are sold at reasonable prices compared to Vosne/ Chambolle...
Morey underrrated ? Don't think so. the Morey villages and premier crus are generally speaking much less fine than their neigbour counterparts. I fully agree that their grands crus CLOS de TART and Clos des Lambrays are now top-notch with prices to match.

SINCERELY JOHAN

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#71 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » May 25th, 2020, 10:38 am

Peter Chiu wrote:
November 24th, 2011, 8:19 am
Guillaume Deschamps wrote:Most underrated... not really. Although it's true that the village wines and some 1ers from Morey are, maybe, less heralded than those of the other villages in Côte de Nuits, the Grand Crus are really famous, especially since Clos de Tart and Clos des Lambrays have been improving in the last 10+ years.
Kitting aside.....I agree with Guillaume that MSD is less heralded. [thumbs-up.gif]

Since we are talking about **MOST** underrated, I would say : P-Vergellesses, speailly so in North America.
This is my vote as well. Although with Burgundy price increased from 2011, I don’t really like saying it “out loud”.

...and I also love Clos de Lambrays, Clos St. Denis, and Clos de la Roche, but have had too many meh village Morey wines.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Thomas Keim » May 26th, 2020, 4:01 pm

The Cotes de Chalonnaise - Givry, Mercurey, Montagny, Rully, Santenay: still some amazing bargains coming out of here -
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Mattstolz » May 26th, 2020, 6:14 pm

my most underrated is probably Volnay.

otherwise maybe NSG

Marc Frontario

#74 Post by Marc Frontario » July 31st, 2020, 8:40 pm