The most underrated village in Burgundy

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Howard Cooper » November 24th, 2011, 7:29 am

Normally, when we think of underrated, we think of Savigny-les-Beaune, Santenay, even Beaune itself, etc. But this time I am talking about on a much higher level. I am beginning to think I like the wines of Morey St. Denis as much as the wines of any village. In the last couple of weeks, I have had 2001 and 2002 Clos des Lambrays, and 2002 and 2007 Jouan Clos St. Denis and the wines are just great. Truchot Clos de la Roche is about my favorite wine. I just love the flavors of Morey wines. To me they are real true Burgundies that get to the heart of why we love Burgundy - concentration and magnificent aromas without too much weight. And, the producers in Morey include the three listed above plus Dujac, Lignier, Ponsot, etc.

Label me a big Morey fan.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Peter Chiu

Re: The most underrated village in Burgundy

#2 Post by Peter Chiu » November 24th, 2011, 7:37 am

Howard....where is the village by the name : Morey St. Denis ?

Is it between Gervey-Chambertin and Chambolle-Musigny ! [wink.gif]
Last edited by Peter Chiu on November 24th, 2011, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Berry Crawford

#3 Post by Berry Crawford » November 24th, 2011, 7:48 am

Well said Howard.

I'm a big fan of the 2007 Jouan Clos St. Denis. Likely my favorite 2007 that Ive had. I have 2 or 3 left and it will be really hard to not drink them before maturity.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Guillaume Deschamps
Contributor
Contributor

#4 Post by Guillaume Deschamps » November 24th, 2011, 7:56 am

Most underrated... not really. Although it's true that the village wines and some 1ers from Morey are, maybe, less heralded than those of the other villages in Côte de Nuits, the Grand Crus are really famous, especially since Clos de Tart and Clos des Lambrays have been improving in the last 10+ years.
ITB @roumegaire roumegaire.com

Peter Chiu

#5 Post by Peter Chiu » November 24th, 2011, 8:19 am

Guillaume Deschamps wrote:Most underrated... not really. Although it's true that the village wines and some 1ers from Morey are, maybe, less heralded than those of the other villages in Côte de Nuits, the Grand Crus are really famous, especially since Clos de Tart and Clos des Lambrays have been improving in the last 10+ years.
Kitting aside.....I agree with Guillaume that MSD is less heralded. [thumbs-up.gif]

Since we are talking about **MOST** underrated, I would say : P-Vergellesses, speailly so in North America.

Berry Crawford

#6 Post by Berry Crawford » November 24th, 2011, 8:26 am

Peter Chiu wrote:Since we are talking about **MOST** underrated, I would say : P-Vergellesses, speailly so in North America.
I refuse to drink a wine that I can not pronounce

Jonathan Favre

#7 Post by Jonathan Favre » November 24th, 2011, 8:37 am

What about Pommard guys? Rugiens/Epenots with some age and from a good vintage/producer can stand with the best... A recent bottle of '78 Gaunoux Grands Epenots was super. Courcel anyone :O)? Happy Turkey Day eveyrone.

Peter Chiu

#8 Post by Peter Chiu » November 24th, 2011, 8:43 am

I understand your point - Barry.

Guess it is one of the reasons why most of the 1ieme crus - such as : Ille de Vergellesse and to a certain lesser extend Les Vergellesse and CdL Croix de Pierre were priced less than CAD $50 in Quebec,Canada.

Coates said in his CdOr ( 1st Editon ) that Ille de Vergellesse should be a candit for pormotion to g-cru.... [stirthepothal.gif]. I hesitate to agree with him but definitely is a good hunting ground for best QPR in the whole Kingdom of Burgundy.

For red Burg ( in ripe years and due to the climate-change to warmer weather each year ) and for wine priced under CAD $ 39 I would say for Marsannay, if not ...NOW.......but in the next 5 to 10 years or so.

Please note there is no 1ieme classification ( yet ) in Marsannay.

Just my 2 cents.

Peter Chiu

#9 Post by Peter Chiu » November 24th, 2011, 8:46 am

Jonathan Favre wrote:What about Pommard guys? Rugiens/Epenots with some age and from a good vintage/producer can stand with the best... A recent bottle of '78 Gaunoux Grands Epenots was super. Courcel anyone :O)? Happy Turkey Day eveyrone.
Jonathan.....Pommard is famous and herald - at least for villages in CdBeaune.

Underrated....definitely not. Any Rugiens/Epenots will be priced over CAD $ 100 in Quebec, Canada.
Last edited by Peter Chiu on November 24th, 2011, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Rick Allen » November 24th, 2011, 8:51 am

For whites, I think St Aubin is underrated.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Peter Chiu

#11 Post by Peter Chiu » November 24th, 2011, 9:15 am

Rick Allen wrote:For whites, I think St Aubin is underrated.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Rick....I agree. Since vintage 2004, and due premoxi I shop for whites in St. Aubin. [highfive.gif]

That being said....the price for Clos Berthet ( white ) in P-Vergel ( which was promoted to the rank of 1ieme cru - some 10 years ago ) is easily at the ratio of 2 to 1 for some white St. Aubin 1ieme cru.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#12 Post by c fu » November 24th, 2011, 9:40 am

Berry Crawford wrote:
Peter Chiu wrote:Since we are talking about **MOST** underrated, I would say : P-Vergellesses, speailly so in North America.
I refuse to drink a wine that I can not pronounce
I wouldn't be able to drink boillot and Fourrier cause I butcher those ll/rr so bad.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Guillaume Deschamps
Contributor
Contributor

#13 Post by Guillaume Deschamps » November 24th, 2011, 9:43 am

Charlie Fu wrote:I wouldn't be able to drink boillot and Fourrier cause I butcher those ll/rr so bad.
It's a wonder you even manage to pronounce your own first name neener
ITB @roumegaire roumegaire.com

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by john stimson » November 24th, 2011, 9:51 am

OK. I was all ready to say Santenay after having some beautiful wines from the 60's, but I get what you are saying. Thankfully, with the chinese entering the china shop, there are and will continue to be underappreciated areas where those in the know can still find satisfaction.

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#15 Post by Jorge Henriquez » November 24th, 2011, 9:54 am

Another vote for St. Aubin for whites. With reds, I'm going with Volnay.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by maureen nelson » November 24th, 2011, 10:16 am

With all the love volnay gets on this board and the prices lafarge and d'angerville fetch, volnay is not underrated.

I think the village with the greatest discrepancy between terroir and producers on one side and buzz or popularity on the other is NSG.

Andrew L.

#17 Post by Andrew L. » November 24th, 2011, 10:21 am

Rick Allen wrote:For whites, I think St Aubin is underrated.
Indeed, I had a lovely St. Aubin last month at around $40-$50CDN. It was sublime.
L I T T L E

Jonathan Favre

#18 Post by Jonathan Favre » November 24th, 2011, 10:56 am

Peter Chiu wrote:
Jonathan Favre wrote:What about Pommard guys? Rugiens/Epenots with some age and from a good vintage/producer can stand with the best... A recent bottle of '78 Gaunoux Grands Epenots was super. Courcel anyone :O)? Happy Turkey Day eveyrone.
Jonathan.....Pommard is famous and herald - at least for villages in CdBeaune.

Underrated....definitely not. Any Rugiens/Epenots will be priced over CAD $ 100 in Quebec, Canada.
No doubt! I guess it's all a matter of perspective - but - we hardly ever hear about people drinking wines from Pommard here (other places also). I can still find super good wines from Courcel and the like for a lot less than a better regarded 1er from lets say - Vosne.

chaad thomas

#19 Post by chaad thomas » November 24th, 2011, 10:59 am

I can't believe that Volnay or Pommard could be seriously considered to be underrated!

I'd propose Fixin is underrated, receiving very little attention anywhere, yet making quite good wines, for example Dufouleur's "Clos de Chapitre", Berthaut "Les Crais", or Gelin's "Clos Napoleon".

No, they're not great wines, but they can be great values in high-quality village Bourgogne.
--- chaad
importer & distributor
http://www.uswineimports.com

Peter Chiu

#20 Post by Peter Chiu » November 24th, 2011, 11:46 am

chaad thomas wrote:I can't believe that Volnay or Pommard could be seriously considered to be underrated!

I'd propose Fixin is underrated, receiving very little attention anywhere, yet making quite good wines, for example Dufouleur's "Clos de Chapitre", Berthaut "Les Crais", or Gelin's "Clos Napoleon".

No, they're not great wines, but they can be great values in high-quality village Bourgogne
Chaad..... [dance-clap.gif] ...yea - I agree.

It is just north of Gervey ( and little south of Marsannay ).

No, they're not great wines, but they can be great values in high-quality village Bourgogne
[welldone.gif]

This remind me of what Meadows said ( in his The Pearl ) about the finest burgundies ( = G-crus ) : when it comes to the finest burgundies, you may not always get what you paid for but you will never get what you don't pay for.

It is alright ...to be always on the look-out ....for the holy grail in burgundy but beware. What it meant is if one wants to look for the highest... Height For Enjoyment ( of Burgundy finest wines ) ....one needs to pay for the price.

newhere

Peter Chiu

#21 Post by Peter Chiu » November 24th, 2011, 11:58 am

Hay...guys.

Pommard, Volnay and NSG....are nominated for underrated. In Quebec, Canada the average popular wines being sold are from CAD $12-15.......Village wines from Pommard, volnay and NSG...are occasion ( = especial ) wines. [pillow-fight.gif]

Jeremy Holmes

#22 Post by Jeremy Holmes » November 24th, 2011, 1:47 pm

It used to be St-Aubin, but it’s been at the top of the under-rated list by the Burgundy cognoscenti over the years for so long that it’s now over-rated.
ITB

Tom Blach

#23 Post by Tom Blach » November 24th, 2011, 1:55 pm

Peter Chiu wrote: when it comes to the finest burgundies, you may not always get what you paid for but you will never get what you don't pay for.
Happily in my Burgundy experience he's been completely and entirely wrong about this. Many of the very greatest bottles I've drunk have cost just a few pounds. The very nature of the most exciting Burgundy experience is serendipity. Any fool can throw money at it.

Peter Chiu

#24 Post by Peter Chiu » November 24th, 2011, 2:51 pm

Tom Blach wrote:
Peter Chiu wrote: when it comes to the finest burgundies, you may not always get what you paid for but you will never get what you don't pay for.
Happily in my Burgundy experience he's been completely and entirely wrong about this. Many of the very greatest bottles I've drunk have cost just a few pounds. The very nature of the most exciting Burgundy experience is serendipity. Any fool can throw money at it.

Tom....you disquoted me. [tease.gif] I did not said that : **when it comes to the finest burgundies, you may not always get what you paid for but you will never get what you don't pay for. ****

Meadows said - it ( which I found it quite interesting !!!). I am trying to get everyones here to agree that P-Vergel. is the most overrated village. neener

(Quote]

Here is what I said :

This remind me of what Meadows said ( in his The Pearl ) about the finest burgundies ( = G-crus ) : when it comes to the finest burgundies, you may not always get what you paid for but you will never get what you don't pay for.

It is alright ...to be always on the look-out ....for the holy grail in burgundy but beware. What it meant is if one wants to look for the highest... Height For Enjoyment ( of Burgundy finest wines ) ....one needs to pay for the price.

Ken McNamara

#25 Post by Ken McNamara » November 24th, 2011, 3:29 pm

The sleeper vineyard in MSD for me is "Sorbe". A fun blind tasting to do would include wines from the likes of Jouan, Fourrier, Magnien Truchout or Duband depending on the vintage plus Drouhin [sourced from Jouan] among others.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Dan Kravitz » November 24th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Random thoughts from a random poster:

There are NO values, much less bargains, from the Cote de Nuits except Fixin and Marsannay.

Saint Aubin has retired the trophy for best value whites. As Holmes said (I believe there's a phrase, no sh*t Sherlock) "It used to be St-Aubin, but it’s been at the top of the under-rated list by the Burgundy cognoscenti over the years for so long that it’s now over-rated." This would be true except the best are as good as almost all 1er Cru Chassagnes, Pulignys and Meursaults and still cost less than half as much. And from personal anecdotal evidence, seem less susceptible to Premox (plus they tend to be held less long), so I still buy them.

Savigny-les-Beaune has retired the trophy for best value reds, except for...

Pernand-Vergelesses. If board members wouldn't buy wines they cannot spell or cannot pronounce, Burgundy prices would plummet, especially for Pernand, and I would be a happy man. Now I'm going to have to watch my spelling in this post, dammit.

Overall I think that Savigny remains the best value for reds, but I agree that Pernand Ile de Vergelesses should be a serious candidate for Grand Cru. Now please forget I wrote that and don't think I'm going to tell you who my favorite producer is (Chandon de Briailles). And Beaune remains incredible value overall, just usually not quite worth the extra over Savigny.

Nuits-Saint-Georges is the most overrated and overpriced of the Cotes de Nuits villages. IMO it's the only one where you never get great wine, just things with a little more weight and a little less finesse than Beaune (or Pommard or Volnay) for more money.

An old story (I think from Harry Waugh) about entering the British wine trade:
His boss said:
There are two kinds of wines, red and white. We sell red.
There are two kinds of red wines, Burgundy and other. We sell Burgundy.
There are two kinds of red Burgundy, Pommard and other. We sell Pommard.
Sell Pommard and you will have a stellar career.
That was when Pommard was cheap, Burgundy was cheap and wine in general was cheap.

IMO Pommard is the most overrated and overpriced village of the Cote de Beaune. This despite the fact that Epenots (no matter how you spell it) and Rugiens are arguably of Grand Cru quality (along with P Ile de V, Ursules and possibly Beaune Greves) and Courcel and Comte Armand are great producers. There is too much crap in Pommard at Pommard prices (see N St G for a parallel).

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#27 Post by Jorge Henriquez » November 24th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Ok, if not Volnay, how about Maranges?
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Alan C h a n

#28 Post by Alan C h a n » November 24th, 2011, 5:29 pm

My first thought at seeing the thread title was MSD; since that's taken, I propose... Corton reds as most underrated.
The Amateur Wino wine blog

Sanjay Nandurkar

#29 Post by Sanjay Nandurkar » November 24th, 2011, 5:41 pm

Definition of underrated depends upon how much emphasis an individual Burghead puts on quality vs $$.

Apart from comparing villages with each other, one can also compare within an appellation for specific 1er crus and GC that are underrated. eg Latricieres and Mazis are underrated compared with Clos de Beze and Chambertin.

I understand some villages are making inexpensive wines but they do not float my boat. I wouldn't drink a Fixin -however underrated and cheap it is. Lamy is making good wine from St Aubin but the price has crept up too.

I would rather fork out more $$ to get a higher quality wine that is relatively underrated to its peers.

One can also compare within a particular producers wines to search for gems. Clos de la Roche from Rousseau is underrated cf Clos st Jacques, Clos de Beze and Chambertin. While the Clos de la Roche will never the lofty heights of Chambertin, I like its quality -price-ratio and in my books it falls in the "underrated" category from within the Rousseau portfolio.

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Matt Latuchie » November 24th, 2011, 5:49 pm

chaad thomas wrote:I can't believe that Volnay or Pommard could be seriously considered to be underrated!

No, they're not great wines, but they can be great values in high-quality village Bourgogne.
Another vote for Fixin.
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Berry Crawford

#31 Post by Berry Crawford » November 24th, 2011, 5:53 pm

Peter Chiu wrote:I understand your point - Barry.
I was kidding. I'm pretty sure the only village name I pronounce correctly is Volnay.

I don't know how many times someone has corrected my pronunciation of Musigny. I just can't seem to master it. I'll still drink it though.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Scott Brunson » November 24th, 2011, 6:04 pm

Guillaume Deschamps wrote:Most underrated... not really. Although it's true that the village wines and some 1ers from Morey are, maybe, less heralded than those of the other villages in Côte de Nuits, the Grand Crus are really famous, especially since Clos de Tart and Clos des Lambrays have been improving in the last 10+ years.
Dujac is in Morey, right?
I seem to remember them on many "limit to 10 producers" lists
Tasted there last June--holy merde!

How about St Aubin? Not the top of my list but real deals abound.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Peter Chiu

#33 Post by Peter Chiu » November 25th, 2011, 5:44 am

Scott Brunson wrote:
Dujac is in Morey, right?
I seem to remember them on many "limit to 10 producers" lists
Tasted there last June--holy merde!

How about St Aubin? Not the top of my list but real deals abound.
How about St Aubin? Not the top of my list but real deals abound

Like Dan said - used to be but not anymore. As St. Audin - 1ieme cru from some of the prodcuers are quite pricey ...NOW.
One of the reasons...that I shop around P-Verg for white as their 1ieme crus are bet CAD $30-35.

Dan.... [welldone.gif] in post No. 26.... [worship.gif]

Peter Chiu

#34 Post by Peter Chiu » November 25th, 2011, 5:50 am

Berry Crawford wrote:
Peter Chiu wrote:I understand your point - Barry.
I was kidding. I'm pretty sure the only village name I pronounce correctly is Volnay.

I don't know how many times someone has corrected my pronunciation of Musigny. I just can't seem to master it. I'll still drink it though.

OK....Musigny should be pronunced as :.... Mooooose. [whistle.gif]

Now - Berry : try it again. I am sure you will master it.

Andrew Nielsen
Contributor
Contributor

#35 Post by Andrew Nielsen » November 25th, 2011, 6:07 am

Savigny? [whistle.gif]
Le Grappin - Beaune, Côte d'Or

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Scott Brunson » November 25th, 2011, 6:25 am

Andrew Nielsen wrote:Savigny? [whistle.gif]
my go to
and +1 on Pernand
On CT, I'm S1

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Howard Cooper » November 25th, 2011, 6:28 am

I guess the reasons I singled out Morey are as follows. First, I love the wines and there are a lot of really good producers making wines from Morey (and wines of the style I like).

Also, I think that in the mind of most Burgundy lovers, the big three villages are Gevrey, Vosne and Chambolle. I would put Morey up there as a big four. I don't think there really is much of an argument that Nuits St. Georges is in the same class, at least not based on the wines I have had. I love a great Pommard, but ditto. I think the only other village that has an argument to be in the top class is Volnay, and I love the wines from there.

I love Chandon des Briailles and their Ile des Vergelesses. But name other great producers from that vineyard.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Scott Brunson » November 25th, 2011, 6:38 am

Howard Cooper wrote:I guess the reasons I singled out Morey are as follows. First, I love the wines and there are a lot of really good producers making wines from Morey (and wines of the style I like).

Also, I think that in the mind of most Burgundy lovers, the big three villages are Gevrey, Vosne and Chambolle. I would put Morey up there as a big four. I don't think there really is much of an argument that Nuits St. Georges is in the same class, at least not based on the wines I have had. I love a great Pommard, but ditto. I think the only other village that has an argument to be in the top class is Volnay, and I love the wines from there.

I love Chandon des Briailles and their Ile des Vergelesses. But name other great producers from that vineyard.
Rapet--different from CdB but still wonderful
On CT, I'm S1

Berry Crawford

#39 Post by Berry Crawford » November 25th, 2011, 7:01 am

Peter Chiu wrote:OK....Musigny should be pronunced as :.... Mooooose.
Its the last part I guess I pronounce wrong. I say "moose-ig-knee " and I guess thats wrong but it seems impossible to reprogram my brain to say it right. I guess it is supposed to be "moose-ee-knee"
Peter Chiu wrote:Now - Berry : try it again. I am sure you will master it.
When you write stuff like that do you mean to sound condescending and smart-ass teasing in tone? I have to admit I often am not sure how to read the tone of your writing.

Marc Frontario

#40 Post by Marc Frontario » November 25th, 2011, 7:17 am

"Any Rugiens/Epenots " I guess that is why they are applying for Grand Cru status

I'm pretty inexperienced at burgundy, so I'm going out on a limb here to list givry. Reason is I tasted the Michel Sarrazin champs lalot givry at $17 and it's better than most 1er's I've tasted. Great stuff
Find something you love....and let it kill u....Charles Bukowski
I cannot escape the ravages of this man....R.Alfert

Ed Murray
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Ed Murray » November 25th, 2011, 7:21 am

Marc Frontario wrote:"Any Rugiens/Epenots " I guess that is why they are applying for Grand Cru status

I'm pretty inexperienced at burgundy, so I'm going out on a limb here to list givry. Reason is I tasted the Michel Sarrazin champs lalot givry at $17 and it's better than most 1er's I've tasted. Great stuff
Sarazin makes a great Givry. [cheers.gif]
It's not the event, it's the reaction to the event!

Ed Murray
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Ed Murray » November 25th, 2011, 7:22 am

Berry Crawford wrote:
Peter Chiu wrote:OK....Musigny should be pronunced as :.... Mooooose.
Its the last part I guess I pronounce wrong. I say "moose-ig-knee " and I guess thats wrong but it seems impossible to reprogram my brain to say it right. I guess it is supposed to be "moose-ee-knee"
Peter Chiu wrote:Now - Berry : try it again. I am sure you will master it.
When you write stuff like that do you mean to sound condescending and smart-ass teasing in tone? I have to admit I often am not sure how to read the tone of your writing.
I'm pretty sure he's teasing but with no condescension intended. (Just a guess here...)
It's not the event, it's the reaction to the event!

Alan C h a n

#43 Post by Alan C h a n » November 25th, 2011, 7:23 am

I think it's actually closer to "moo-zeen-yee" (not so hard on the z sound though, between s and z)...

Knowing what I know of Peter from his posts, I am sure he is not being condescending to you, Berry - more having a laugh with you at the difficulty of Burgundy and his joke about how to simplify it.
The Amateur Wino wine blog

Berry Crawford

#44 Post by Berry Crawford » November 25th, 2011, 7:43 am

Ed Murray wrote:I'm pretty sure he's teasing but with no condescension intended. (Just a guess here...)
My guess as well, but I thought Id ask as ive always wondered.

Peter Chiu

#45 Post by Peter Chiu » November 25th, 2011, 8:04 am

Berry Crawford wrote:
Ed Murray wrote:I'm pretty sure he's teasing but with no condescension intended. (Just a guess here...)
My guess as well, but I thought Id ask as ive always wondered.

Berry.....Yes - I was teasting you ONLY and definitely. [pillow-fight.gif]

I was born, educated and raised in China and Hong Kong. English is my second language. I have been living in Montreal ( a French/English or Paris/NY kind of city )...for 44 years. So ...my English is some time all mixed-up.

Peter Chiu

#46 Post by Peter Chiu » November 25th, 2011, 8:06 am

Alan C h a n wrote:I think it's actually closer to "moo-zeen-yee" (not so hard on the z sound though, between s and z)...

Knowing what I know of Peter from his posts, I am sure he is not being condescending to you, Berry - more having a laugh with you at the difficulty of Burgundy and his joke about how to simplify it.

merci....Alan. Exactly what I meant. For sure...I will not play Poker with you !!! [cheers.gif]
Last edited by Peter Chiu on November 25th, 2011, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by john stimson » November 25th, 2011, 9:22 am

Howard Cooper wrote:I guess the reasons I singled out Morey are as follows. First, I love the wines and there are a lot of really good producers making wines from Morey (and wines of the style I like).

As usual with many threads, people end up discussing two issues. The one you seem to actually be asking is "of the top villages, which one is most underrated". People are also discussing "of all of the vilages, which is the most underrated", which is a different issue.

On a separate topic, I agree with Kravitz with regard to NSG. I don't really get all of the love. I'm happy to drink a good one, but I've never had one that made my toes or other body parts tingle. I keep wondering if I've just never had the right one, although I've been trying since about 1990. Maybe that's not long enough...

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Craig G » November 25th, 2011, 12:53 pm

Berry Crawford wrote:Its the last part I guess I pronounce wrong. I say "moose-ig-knee " and I guess thats wrong but it seems impossible to reprogram my brain to say it right. I guess it is supposed to be "moose-ee-knee"
It's pronounced just like it's spelled. What's the problem? :-)

I would say it's more like this: Myu-zee-nyeeh, with the second and third syllables having the short character of the "ni" in "knights who say ni."
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#49 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » November 25th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Dan Kravitz wrote:
There are NO values, much less bargains, from the Cote de Nuits except Fixin and Marsannay.

Pernand-Vergelesses. If board members wouldn't buy wines they cannot spell or cannot pronounce, Burgundy prices would plummet, especially for Pernand, and I would be a happy man. Now I'm going to have to watch my spelling in this post, dammit.

Nuits-Saint-Georges is the most overrated and overpriced of the Cotes de Nuits villages. IMO it's the only one where you never get great wine, just things with a little more weight and a little less finesse than Beaune (or Pommard or Volnay) for more money.

IMO Pommard is the most overrated and overpriced village of the Cote de Beaune.
I have looked at this thread since it began on my iphone...and....haven't been able to figure out what it's about. Without defining anything, it seems like sort of a meaningless question. (Brochon might be the most "underrated" village, as it makes arguably the best epoisses around (especially, the raw milk version that is sold in Europe). Premeaux is a very underrated village, too. Not many people realize that half of the Nuits ST. Georges wines come from Premeaux. And, the pink marble from Comblanchien is considered among the most desirable in France; many Parisian landmarks are made from it. And, Pernand, in addition to what Dan said about its wines, has the only really great restaurant in the Cote de Nuits in any of the winemaking villages: Le Charlemagne.

Need some criteria/definitions here. Otherwise, I have no idea what this thread means.

I do think that Rousseau Mazy-Chambertin (and arguably) Clos de la Roche might be two of the most "underrated" reds in the region....as they are unjustifiably dissed in their stellar stable there. (Someone else alluded to this...and I agree).

I sort of agree with the Dan quotes above....though it's hard to think of it in a class by itself....as it is the only villages, of the main villages, that has no grand cru...so....how can it be that overrated as a village, per se? Both Nuits and Pommard have reputations, though, that don't always live up to their romantic images.

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Lee Short » November 25th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Chassagne-Montrachet -- for red wines.

Return to “Wine Talk”