An assortment of recently consumed wines

• 2001 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Prestige - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/20/2011)
    While I’m not giving this as high a score as I did a couple of years ago, it has more to do with the company it was in than anything else. Opened as an afterthought after 11 fantastic CNdPs, the wine still showed extremely well. Lots of dark fruits, caocao, licorice, and tobacco box. Powerful nose,silky mouthfeel, long finish. Still a wonderful wine and drinking in its prime. (92 pts.)
  • 1998 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Grenache - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/20/2011)
    When I opened this I was afraid it was flawed due to a musty nose. But after sitting for about 30 minutes the mustiness disappeared and a wonderful nose of fruit and herbs took its place. No bricking to speak of, which I was not expecting. Lots of fruit, cherries and blackberries with notes of leather, earthy herbs, and some spice. Well balanced, not at all hot, medium to long finish.
  • 2002 Neal Family Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/13/2011)
    Opened over Cuban food at Havana 59 in Richmond, VA. It was my sister’s birthday celebration and when I opened this bottle the aroma was very noticeable. She smiled and said that the others could fight over it after she got her glass first. Dark garnet in color, nice legs. Wonderful nose and rich notes of dark fruits, plum, and chocolate. Fairly long finish. Wish this was not my last bottle because these will continue to drink well for several more years at least. Wonderful, well made wine. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I opened a 2001 Roger Sabon ‘Prestige’ [CNDP] that I’ve had since release and I’m very impressed. It’s a 15% abv but doesn’t taste hot nor flabby. Some lavender and nutmeg on the nose, lightly bricking edges, but holding up fine after 24 hours out on the counter. It’s concentrated yet not heavy, with 30-40 seconds of finish on the tongue. A very impressive example from a producer who I hardly ever buy. I’d give this traditional CNDP an A-.