Epic Bedrock Tasting Note

Hopefully I am not breaking any rules here…if so, please feel free to delete this.

Found this tasting note for the 2010 Bedrock Old Vine Zin on CT today:

“This wine is very unique for a Zin. It’s full bodied, has lots of red fruit, but isn’t overly sweet or gloppy, which makes it decently refreshing. Slightly off topic - I like the name that was chosen for this winery - Bedrock. Why the owner’s dad named his winery after a bird’s genitals (Ravenswood), I’ll never understand.”

The kicker is that the user who posted this goes by: Hog Scrotum

Why you chose to name yourself after a pig’s nutsack, I’ll never understand. [snort.gif]

He’s (assuming male) a new user to CT and writes “colorful” tasting notes, like this one for the 2007 Carlisle Syrah Dry Creek Valley.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - Aside from a 2007 Papera Zin, the last half dozen wines I’ve drank from Carlisle have hardly been decent. I remember a few years ago, before Carlisle became scared of making high alcohol wines, they were one of the best producers of Syrah and Zinfandel. Anyway, this wine was weak, with flavors of sour blueberries and no noticeable oak. This may be acceptable to some people, like mindless goons that worship Carlisle on wine forums, but to Hog Scrotum, who prefers to judge what’s in the bottle, it’s just disappointing.

Or everyone’s favorite:

Friday, November 04, 2011 - I never imagined that this kind of decency could be lurking beneath a screwcap. Fantastic fruit combined with just enough acidity makes this a great wine. If there was just a little bit more acidity and structure, and it came from somewhere other than France, this wine would be nearly perfect.

And that classic bedtime story shared with children:

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - When I saw the 15% alcohol, > I was expecting a Peter North type wine, lots of wood with a really long finish. > Oh brother was I wrong! This wine was really nice, but not a typical brambly Zinfandel. This wine had decent tannins and acidity and had flavors of licorice and cherries with no noticeable oak. It’s too bad it was my only bottle because this wine will probably improve with age.

His top 20 notes (all of them are here, some pretty funny)

I don’t know who I like more, this guy or the one who continued to punish himself by going through a case of bad wine - every bottle of which he described as a stinky pile of shit from a sweaty horse stable or something thereabouts. Remember him?

Thank you for chronicling the number one reason I don’t use cellartracker.

Was that in Lucia di Lammermoor? Perhaps I missed that scene.

Well he seems to be aware of wine forums. If he stops by here maybe he could spend a couple of minutes in the Drank vs Drunk thread…

Oh yes…“Guitar Guy”…handing out 60 point scores like they were candy.

1999 Clerc Milon!!! or was it d’Armailhac?

that guy is my new hero flirtysmile

When his first tasting note for one of my wines popped up I thought “what an A-hole. wonder what else he wrote” [wow.gif]

Hog Scrotum became one of my favorites for absurdity/laughter after reading a couple of his notes. I think he’s the same guy who called out The Todd on the eBob forum several years ago. Either way, the notes are amusing if you’re not too stuck up and his ratings seem to be pretty good.

“Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - When I read the label of this wine, I had to wonder if this was MJ’s preferred label for serving Jesus Juice. Nevertheless, this wine is a pretty decent choice for adults, as well. I’m not a big fan of French wines in general, but this wine was very elegant with flavors of cherries and earth and lacking the raunchy aromas that are typical of anything French. All in all, this wine was pretty tasty and an added bonus was that Chris Hansen didn’t show up with a copy of a Chat log upon finishing the bottle.
[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Add me to his list of fans. [cheers.gif] For those who don’t like it… LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS SGT. HULKA STRIPES - YouTube

Well, the reason I thought it was funny is because the wine was Cuvée du Vatican Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve Sixtine.

“Guitar Guy” was the first one I thought of as well when I saw Tyler’s post. In the case of the 2003 Manzano Il Bosco Syrah it was a case and a half. The latest tasting note ends with "Never great, 18 or so bottles in, but not horrible either. " By the way, he noted it wasn’t bad in comparison to the other wine of the night , “…a really, really, really reeky brett bad, awful 1999 d’Armailhac” aka horse stable. This guy definitely drinks a lot of bad wine.

What is the definition of insanity? I might have given up after 2 or 3 bottles, but 18?

by Robert Alfert, Jr. » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Tyler McAfee wrote:I don’t know who I like more, this guy or the one who continued to punish himself by going through a case of bad wine - every bottle of which he described as a stinky pile of shit from a sweaty horse stable or something thereabouts. Remember him?

1999 Clerc Milon!!! or was it d’Armailhac?

Robert - d’Armailhac it is! “…a really, really, really reeky brett bad, awful 1999 d’Armailhac”

Cheers,

Steve