TN: 2004 Rivers Marie Cabernet Sauvignon

just a lovely bottle. not over the top, but clearly napa. cassis, tobacco, and spice box. has lost the baby fat of it’s youth. tannins nearly resolved. soft but never flabby. a bit of acid kicks in on the finish. would pair great with food. this is yet another reason why i will continue to buy these wines (and the pinot and chard) without hesitation for the years to come.

Here’s an update on this wine:

• 2004 Rivers-Marie Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (4/19/2014)
    I remember liking this wine more when I had it 6+ years ago. Back then it was notable for being deeply layered with dark fruits, graphite, and loamy earth. By comparison, this bottle — at this stage of evolution — seemed a little shallow. 30 minutes in a decanter. Restrained notes of red plums, cassis, licorice, and dried herbs. Slightly acidic on the palate. Still a very good wine that paired nicely with herb-crusted lamb chops, but just not as impressive as before. My hope is that it’s just this bottle and not the wine in general. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m enjoying an '07 right now and it’s terrific. Less overtly sweet than a bottle two years ago. I’m a happy camper.

I’m going to wait for a few more reviews on the wine to come out before I make my opinion public #groupthink

Too soon?

[winner.gif]

Just had the 2007 with prime ribs. A little closed, but drinking very well. 3-5 more yrs I think to fully blossom. Not a palate crusher.

Thanks for the update. I loved this wine in its youth. Always seemed like one to be drank young. Not that it wouldn’t age but it was so dang good 5 years ago.

Jason

Not to side track, but which of the RM cabs are drinking well now? I just finished my last 2006 which was better than ever. Now I only have '07 or younger.

I echo that…always love these a little young.

I was not a fan of this a half dozen years ago. Glad id is showing well.