**Contest for Free Half Bottle of Yquem-WINNER**

See lastest post for more info.

If you buzzed through my two posts regarding my new format for tasting notes, I think you’ll find a mixed bag of positive and negative sentiment. I want to see if the format is actually helpful in better describing a wine. Tonight at 7pm EST, I’ll post a tasting note on a wine utilizing this format. The closest guess to region, varietal, wine and vintage will win a free half bottle of 89 Yquem. Stay tuned and keep an eye out for “Yquem Contest” post. Good luck

cool contest and very generous. should be fun.

I guess I know what I’ll be doing at 7pm. Wait, that’s 4pm PST. I’ll just guess right now.

06 SQN Raven Syrah.

Did I win?

And here’s the tasting note. Only one entry per person. All entries are due no later than 7pm this Tuesday night (11/15). The person closest to guessing the exact wine (varietal or varietal blend if applicable, region, winery, vineyard designation if applicable, vintage) will receive a free half bottle of 89 Yquem. Please send guesses via PM. Good luck everyone.

1. Style (5)- this wine straddles the line between Old World and New with plenty of earth, tar and pine sap while also displaying sweet fruit and subtle oak
  2. Acidity (7)- a strong streak of acid that moves from front to back palate. Short of piercing but upwardly vibrant. Nice fit for this wine.
  3. Tannins (6)- soft and sweet dusty tannins rounded out to an easy finish
  4. Fruit Ripeness (6)- well ripened without the extract often amongst it’s peers which allows tertiary flavors to move ahead of the fruit
  5. Alcohol (5)- well integrated alcohol, not showing any signs of glycerin but enough to add vibrancy to the fruit
  6. Complexity (8)- plenty of tertiary flavors here, wildberry, pipe tobacco, charcoal, forest floor, freshly fallen leaves, black tea
  7. Ageability (5)- this is likely nearing it’s sweet spot but it has the stuffing to remain strong for another 5-7yrs and stay relevant for 10+yrs
  8. Oak Presence (5)- not at all an oak dominant wine, no dominant flavors of vanilla, caramel or coffee but the spicy element leads me to believe they may have used a more heavily toasted oak, hints of cedar chips
  9. Density (6)- medium to slightly big bodied wine but not the massive weight or enveloping mouthfeel of it’s peers, vibrant from front to back and moderately mouth coating

Overall Score: 91pts- A thoroughly enjoyable drink and with reasonable alcohol levels, one that you can avoid the guilt if you finish the bottle. Well suited for food. Unique in it’s style.

Numerical Scale
1.Style (New World vs. Old World with a “1” representing Old World and “10” representing New World)
2.Acidity (“1” being low acidity and “10” being highly acidic)
3.Tannins (1" being lightly tannic and “10” being highly tannic)
4.Fruit Ripeness (“1” being underripe and “10” being overly ripe)
5.Alcohol (“1” being low noticeable alcohol and "10 being highly noticeable alcohol)
6.Complexity (“1” being simple and “10” being highly complex with numerous flavor characteristics)
7. Ageability (“1” being a wine with little chance of aging and “10” being a wine with a high level of ageability gauged from the point of tasting looking forward)
8.Oak Presence (“1” being no noticeable oak and “10” being highly noticeable oak)
9. Density (“1” being light in weight and “10” being full bodied)

Edited: Sent via PM.

2001 Antinori Tignanello.

2001 Pavie Macquin

1996 Penfolds Bin 707 Cabernet Sauvignon

Sent via PM

[sent via PM]

Sent Via PM

Please send your guesses via a PM so as not to persuade other’s guesses. Having fun yet? To up the ante, I’ll send a bottle of this wine as well along with the Yquem to the winner and you can match up your impressions with mine to see how it aligns.

You might want to say this earlier in the thread (OP and post with the TN), cuz you know not everyone is going to read down this far in the thread.

Some VERY good guesses thus far via PM and some are not too far off. After the expiration date of the contest, I will post a critic’s TN to see which TN offers more of an accurate description of the wine. This will be fun. Keep 'em coming. I might have to do this on a monthly basis!

I’m gonna have to really give this some thought cuz I really want the D’Yquem. I love free. I guess my earlier guess is wrong cuz SQN woulda gotten a higher score than 91 from you. I’ll pm you soon…

2005 Sottimano nebbiolo

No pm, I want to see what everyone guesses.

To those of you continuing to follow the thread…the fruit has sweetened substantially with the additional aeration. It’s become a bit less dry and a bit more plump with the extra decant time. Not to sway your guesses but to let you know I’ll consider additional guesses if anyone would like. Some are already damned close but just figured I’d give an update for anyone still following along.

sent via pm

I am very tempted to slightly alter my guess, but I’m afraid of moving in the wrong direction!!

PM sent. Thanks