Roessler

Can anybody tell me about these people? (Pinot Noir specifically, not sure what else they make, if anything)

i have had a few of their pinots and think that they are generally a strong producer, although i was not terribly impressed with some of their recent stuff. here are my notes on their wines. their 2004 kanzler, btw, was excellent.

• 2006 Roessler Pinot Noir La Encantada Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills (6/29/2008)
    Pinot Days (San Francisco, CA): 87-89 points.
  • 2006 Roessler Pinot Noir Sanford and Benedict - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills (6/29/2008)
    Pinot Days (San Francisco, CA): This showed much better than the first time I tasted it. 87-89 points.
  • 2006 Roessler Pinot Noir Griffin’s Lair - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/18/2008)
    Family Winemakers of California (Pasadena, CA): Opens with a little bit of a funk, but then evolves and exhibits nice notes of sour cherries, dark cherries, and apple skin. The fruit seems a little underdeveloped here. (87 pts.)
  • 2006 Roessler Pinot Noir Dutton Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (3/18/2008)
    Family Winemakers of California (Pasadena, CA): Notes of apple skin, earth, and crushed minerals. Searing acidity. Very underdeveloped fruit here. (86 pts.)
  • 2006 Roessler Pinot Noir La Brisa - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/18/2008)
    Family Winemakers of California (Pasadena, CA): On the simple side, but still pretty good. Notes of dark cherries and cola. (86 pts.)
  • 2006 Roessler Pinot Noir Sanford and Benedict - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills (3/18/2008)
    Family Winemakers of California (Pasadena, CA): My least favorite of the line-up. Notes of dark cherries and apple skin, with an Alka-Seltzer-like finish. (84 pts.)
  • 2004 Roessler Pinot Noir La Brisa Kanzler Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/22/2006)
    This wine is the reason I love Russian River Valley pinots. Lots of crushed raspberries and strawberries, some baking spices, and a long elegant finish. Terrific wine! (92 pts.)
  • 2004 Roessler Pinot Noir La Brisa Kanzler Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (9/25/2006)
    Opened and served in Riedel Burgundy stems. Deep purplish garnet color. Lovely sweet nose of mixed berry pie and some cola; the aromatics alone make this wine a winner for me. On the palate, this wine exhibits good structure and a rich flavor profile of plum, cherry, and black tea. Medium-light body. Medium acidity. Although still a bit young, I can see this baby improving after a year or two. (91 pts.)
  • 2004 Roessler Pinot Noir Red Label - USA, California, Sonoma County (6/11/2006)
    Ruby with burgundy undertones. Aromas of black cherries, mushroom, and sweet toasted oak. Flavors of wild berries, cola, vanilla, and some cedar on the finish. Introverted. Ripe tannins. Drinks well now, but may benefit from short-term cellaring. (90 pts.)
  • 2004 Roessler Pinot Noir Blue Jay - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (6/11/2006)
    Deep ruby and purple color. Aromas of ripe cherries, some strawberry, and a hint of wet soil, which over time came to be replaced by cola and spice. Flavors of dried cranberries and sour cherries. The acids slightly take over the finish. Firmly tannic. Extroverted. Drinkable now, but would benefit from some short-term cellaring. (89 pts.)

Funny you skipped the 2005’s…as that is what im holding.

Had an '07 barrel sample and thought it was solid. No specific notes taken but I remember it having a nice floral nose and solid Cherry palate. Solid producer.

I’ve had the 2005 Sanford & Benedict and the 2005 Widdoes. No notes taken, I remember liking the Sanford & Benedict, nicely balanced, earthy. The Roessler pinots that I’ve had always seem to have a funky nose, very distinctive.

I’m on their list for a while now and like their wines and club. The '05 Widdoes I thought was really, really good. I had a few at a tasting at Astor Wines a while back.

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showthread.php?t=150331&highlight=widdoes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wells Guthrie was Roger Roessler’s original winemaker. Not sure if that’s still the case.

Scott Shapley is now the wine maker from the 2006 vintage

Some 06 Roessler wines were recently offered at wine.woot - there was a really good dicussion thread on which Scott and Roger both posted quite a bit.

http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2928814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Appears to be Scott Shapley now.

I have had their Savoy vineyard in a few vintages. Always very enjoyable. :slight_smile: