TN 2006 Chateau d'Yquem Ygrec "Y"

I am not a big white wine drinker, but this wine is just too much fun! This is Yquem’s dry white and you sense how meticulously well made this is. Soaring nose of grapefruit, orange peel, fresh cut grass, flint, lanolin, and a host of other notes that I am incapable of describing. The palate is sheer majesty. Same flavor profile as the nose, but with more complexity and an almost mineral like flint quality on the incredible finish. Beautiful buttery mouthfeel with great lift and zesty acidity. If you can find this, it is well worth the cost. This newfound Yquem obsession is going to send me to the poorhouse. 96 Pts

I also find the Ygrec a very interesting and fairly unique wine. I haven’t tried the 2006 but have had both the 2000 and 2004 a number of times each and have never been disappointed. Probably think the 2000 is stronger than the 2004, at least now…and just grabbed a bottle of the 2004 earlier this afternoon from my offsite to open soon. Not sure I will buy recent vintages though given the pricing. The $80-100I paid for the 2004 and 2000 was worth the higher price compared to other white Bordeaux in the $50-100 range but at double that or more, I just haven’t wanted to pull the trigger. Hard to believe the 2004 was $80-90 on release…

Actually, I take it back, as it looks like the 2007 and 2008 aren’t too badly priced at $125 (though still pricey compared to other good white Bord)…it is just the earlier vintages that seem to have shot up in price…anyone know how those two vintages are for dry white Bordeaux?

Dan, I am actually just finishing off the leftover of this, and it is even better on the second day. You can clearly detect the family lineage with this wine and that is really neat. I agree that price is definitely a concern. I have heard rumblings that we may start seeing greater dry white wine production from Sauternes/Barsac, and that may help with the price. We’ll see. I have heard very good things about the 2000.

I think the 2007 was rated 94 by RP, and he was spot on with the 2006 with the same score.

Ygrec is one of only a handful of wines [to include DRC Le Montrachet, JJ Prum WS TBA Auction, Honivogl Honifogl, and maybe a 1959 Dom Pink] which I have never had, but which I am still really eager to try.

I am pretty cynical about most of the other legendary [mythical?] wines, but it is said that with a few decades of bottle age, Ygrec can be simply otherworldly.

Hope to find out some day…

Had an Ygrec from the mid-90s (96?) a few years ago and it’s definitely one of the best dry white wines I’ve ever had.

2007 is great. I haven’t had a 2006 to compare it with but my guess is that the 2007 is more mineral, more structured, less opulent. I did not note any exotic fruits or waxiness. It is a wonderfully balanced wine with an electrifying acidity supporting just ripe fruits.

Curiously, same price as the Vineyard 29 Sauvignon Blanc.

Its funny how the producer/pedigree makes one seem actually reasonable and the other crazy… [wow.gif]

Thanks for the comment. You really got me thinking about picking up a few but I managed to buy a few other wines earlier (Burgs) and so I’m trying to exercise restraint…at least for today.

Head’s up to check Zachy’s. They have the 2007 Ygrec on sale for $93.75 - if you don’t have any and want to try it, now may be the time…

Thanks for posting as that would have done the trick…too bad that it is gone now, though looks like the 2006 is $131.

I always wanted to try this wine, never having even seen it, so when a lot came up on the AMC Internet. I bought a bottle of the 1985. Opened it in September. Very interesting. Defintely Yquem with no sugar and botrytis. Served blind to others. At least one person said it tasted like a Sauterne without sugar. I found it very interesting, with pineapple and the flavor of honey without the sweetness, a bit of guava, and a variety of other fruit flavors with no oxidation. I also got a bottle of the 1979, to be opened at another interesting occasion.

Jay, the 06 was probably similar in some respects, but just with all the baby fat and juiciness of a youngster.

To those interested, I did purchase these from Zachy’s and their service was flawless. Alot of folks like to dog them, but when you get an acceptable price they are a brilliant store.