Short TN: 2009 Clos Saron Pinot Noir Home Vineyard (USA, California, Sierra Foothills)

• 2009 Clos Saron Pinot Noir Home Vineyard - USA, California, Sierra Foothills (10/31/2011)
    Pop and pour, drink for two days. Light red, nearly limpid. Instant, gorgeous spice nose, and a hint of wood. Bright and cheery on the entry, this young wine is all about red berries, soil, and a solid followthrough. I really like this wine and its natural feel. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note charlie. I haven’t had the 09 but I am now looking forward to trying it.

Wasn’t that a 2009 I brought to Rick’s a month or two ago?

I’d love to try this…hard to find though.

It’s likely something else rather than wood. These wines are aged in 4 and 5 year old barrels. Perhaps some wood flavors are left to be leached out but I doubt it. I can’t remember if he adds stems but that could be what you are smelling if he did.

As an interesting side-note I made some Pinot at home for fun this year from a few different vineyard sources and strangly some of them had a very wood-spice quality to them but never have and never well see oak.

Not hard at all - just sign up to buy from the winery.

I have it marked in CT as the 08, was it the 09?

I was trying to find it locally. No online ordering and I’m too lazy these days to print out a form, fill it out and fax it back.

Yes, I just checked.

Berry, just a hint of wood mixed in with the spice. Definitely no ‘oak’ or ‘toasty oak’ coming through. The website mentions that the cooperage is from the Rousseau family in Burgundy, but not how long in barrel or how old the barrels are. The wine certainly tastes as if it hasn’t much oak influence. It ‘is a bright and vibrant, natural wine. Oh and btw, they were very easy to come by. Nice people runnin’ the joint , too.

I have it directly from Gideon (the winemaker) regarding barrel age. Ive been up there a couple of times interviewing him for an article I am writing.

Thanks for the note on a great wine.

I stand corrected, I loved the 09! I really thought it was the 08 and went searching for some after that and was bummed when none could be found. Sounds like I need to go order some from the winery.

Do it quick. He sells out.

FWIW, the syrahs are around $20/$25 and almost as good (only held back by not being Pinot Noir). Highly recommended.

The 09 Home Vineyard was aged in 2-3 years old barrels for 12 months. We have not bought new barrels since 2006, but a number of our wines do show hints of “woody” aromas. The wine was fermented on about 50%+ of its stems.
In relation to ordering - if you want to, just email me (gideon@clossaron.com) or call us at 530 692 1080.

Thanks for the clarification Gideon. I had it wrong in my notes.

Just ordered a couple bottles (already anticipating a wicked backhand from my wife). Gideon was super responsive and a joy to work with. Really looking forward to trying these.

You are in for a treat.

As long as I can intercept the UPS guy before my wife sees him.

Amateur. Deliver it to your office [wink.gif]

That is the trick, isn’t it?