Sec Wines in Portland

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
AndyK

Re: Sec Wines in Portland

#51 Post by AndyK » May 22nd, 2020, 8:51 pm

I have nothing but great things to say about Sec. Wouldn’t trust someone who made an account here just to slam a shop
k0berl

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Travis Fantz » May 22nd, 2020, 9:23 pm

I hate these one off posts.

I have known Eric for years too. I actually don’t buy much from him, but he has a great passion for wine and I love talking to him about wine. He remembers things that I have mentioned to him 3 months later, even if I haven’t made a purchase recently. Most recently that was the new release of Franchino Gattinara which is impossible to source.

I would buy from him with no hesitation.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

rfelthoven

#53 Post by rfelthoven » May 22nd, 2020, 10:26 pm

I’ve dealt with Eric for about 10 years and he’s a great guy. This thread is a shame IMHO.
Ron

Alan Gottlieb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Alan Gottlieb » May 23rd, 2020, 4:50 am

Nothing but good dealings with Eric

Never understand why people post on this forum or elsewhere to clearly try to hurt someone and their livelihood.

The best advice if you have a bad experience don't go back. Shop elsewhere. Try to be kind not destructive

John A Hunt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by John A Hunt » May 23rd, 2020, 5:57 am

New customer to Sec here; first transaction this month and everything went well. Ordered, got confirmation, got shipping notice, wine arrived... Second was yesterday.

One email to Eric was responded promptly.

So:
Limited experience, all positive, and the overwhelming positive recommendations of many other Berserkers.

Versus

One post from a guy who joined WB just to throw a rock at one store.

Why is it not surprising Eric had a problem with this chooch? Willing to wager there is a little more to this than Grieg mentioned.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Kirk.Grant » May 23rd, 2020, 6:42 am

Travis Fantz wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 9:23 pm
I hate these one off posts.

I have known Eric for years too. I actually don’t buy much from him, but he has a great passion for wine and I love talking to him about wine. He remembers things that I have mentioned to him 3 months later, even if I haven’t made a purchase recently. Most recently that was the new release of Franchino Gattinara which is impossible to source.

I would buy from him with no hesitation.
I agree, it's like someone asks to be invited into your house and when you let them in they $h!t on the entryway rug only to turn around & leave.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Kirk.Grant » May 23rd, 2020, 6:53 am

rfelthoven wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 10:26 pm
I’ve dealt with Eric for about 10 years and he’s a great guy. This thread is a shame IMHO.
I think I might disagree...I don't know it it's this thread, or just that one post. Everyone here (accept that one-time-dump) is speaking about the positive experiences they've had with Eric. The take-away from this thread (to me) is that most of us infant the vast majority of us have had very positive experiences working with Eric.

Dale McClaran
Contributor
Contributor

#58 Post by Dale McClaran » May 23rd, 2020, 7:50 am

Piling on - Absolutely nothing but The most positive experiences with Eric @ Sec.
GO HAWKS!

NoahR
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by NoahR » May 23rd, 2020, 8:06 am

Another +1 for Eric being a stand up guy.

Greig- not everyone has good experiences all the time, but looks like you drew first blood here and whitewashed your story a bit. If you had a presence or reputation on this forum, maybe your story would count for something.

Sorry - looks like you did something to really piss him off last year and that’s on you. Maybe it was an honest mistake, but that’s between you and him to work out. Trying to damage his business here makes you look petty.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Scott G r u n e r

#60 Post by Scott G r u n e r » May 23rd, 2020, 8:28 am

another fan of sec wines here. a couple cases per year for years, nothing but great, fast, and personal service
//Cynic

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Frank Murray III » May 23rd, 2020, 8:47 am

By activating a 7 year old thread, this will actually be good for Eric as all he is getting in support and a fresh reminder to people that he is out there.

One thing about WB that I dig is that people police this place, whether that be Commerce Corner, Wine Talk, etc. We're free to say what we want here but there are plenty of smart people and plenty of experiences that make anything one-sided hard to pull off.
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » May 23rd, 2020, 8:49 am

I’ve had generally good experiences with Eric; obviously there was the debacle with Southern Glazer and the 2008 Dom earlier this year but that wasn’t his fault, and I have bought wine from him since then.

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by R. Frankel » May 23rd, 2020, 8:51 am

Another thumbs up for Sec and Eric. I’ve done biz with Eric going back 5 years, and quite a lot in the last year or so. Steady, reliable, high quality.
Rich Frankel

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#64 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » May 23rd, 2020, 9:20 am

Kirk.Grant wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 6:53 am
rfelthoven wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 10:26 pm
I think I might disagree...I don't know it it's this thread, or just that one post. Everyone here (accept that one-time-dump) is speaking about the positive experiences they've had with Eric. The take-away from this thread (to me) is that most of us infant the vast majority of us have had very positive experiences working with Eric.
Agreed, and happy to see it. Eric is a really good guy, in addition to working his behind off to offer good wines at great prices.

Sec, Avalon, and Vinopolis have all been great supporters, and they are the shops I buy from as well.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

RobC

#65 Post by RobC » May 23rd, 2020, 9:26 am

I certainly read much more than I post here - but when I saw this thread resurrected for the reason it was I have to weigh to share my experiences with Eric.

I've bought from Eric many many times over the years - incredibly nice, helpful, friendly and professional guy. Even with Eric I've had a time a credit card got locked/cancelled due to fraud - just called him and gave him a new card - no biggy.

I find he has great Italian selections and very competitive prices. I continue to buy from him.

Scott Tallman

#66 Post by Scott Tallman » May 23rd, 2020, 9:34 am

I’ve bought a lot from him over the last 5-6 years, and nothing but positive experiences.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Mattstolz » May 23rd, 2020, 10:33 am

not sure about the hate on the thread. the OP is 9 years old and was just asking for thoughts on the shop. someone had a bad transaction so they posted it. seems like something I would want to know if I was thinking about buying from a shop ive never heard of.

also would want to see all the good feedback that followed it.

for the record, my transactions with Sec have all been just fine.

Chris Dickson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Chris Dickson » May 23rd, 2020, 12:29 pm

I'm conflicted that this would be a post to pull me out of the woodwork given the great content and camaraderie of this board to tempt me otherwise, and for my relationship with the shop. I will be sure to add my thoughts to other threads moving forward. I sell wine to Sec, and buy wine from Sec. Eric is a great curator of wines, and my exchanges have always felt professional. Trust in others experiences is important as we navigate our way through resources, and given the power of online anonymity, real name or not, it can feel uncertain. Constructive criticism is one thing, this post feels down right slanderous. Also, Jim B. on yelp posts the exact same response for Sec as Creig. Nice touch.
ITB
Twill Cellars

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Frank Murray III » May 23rd, 2020, 12:46 pm

So which is it Greig? Or is it Jim?

I hate this kind of dishonesty.

Tell us your name, as this is a real names forum...it's a requirement here to participate. If you can't then Todd oughta kick you off the forum.
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Mark Y » May 23rd, 2020, 12:56 pm

Dealt with Eric several times.. nothing but responsive and helpful.

Greig / Jim B.. odd..
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 12.54.50 PM.png
Y.e.

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Adam Noble » May 23rd, 2020, 1:01 pm

Nothing but positive experiences with Sec personally and also the recent negative poster can suck it.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Kirk.Grant » May 23rd, 2020, 1:02 pm

Chris Dickson wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 12:29 pm
I'm conflicted that this would be a post to pull me out of the woodwork given the great content and camaraderie of this board to tempt me otherwise, and for my relationship with the shop. I will be sure to add my thoughts to other threads moving forward. I sell wine to Sec, and buy wine from Sec. Eric is a great curator of wines, and my exchanges have always felt professional. Trust in others experiences is important as we navigate our way through resources, and given the power of online anonymity, real name or not, it can feel uncertain. Constructive criticism is one thing, this post feels down right slanderous. Also, Jim B. on yelp posts the exact same response for Sec as Creig. Nice touch.
Chris, welcome to the forum! So glad to have another person ITB (I'm not anymore) to add to the forum. One of my friends in our local tasting group is working for a distributor. I hope you are doing ok, it's tough when times like this shift people away or down in price. I know after 2008 we saw the average price/bottle shift from $23 down to $16 in the small shop I used to work in. Of course Bangor, Maine is not really a hot-bed of wine activity.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#73 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » May 23rd, 2020, 2:04 pm

Kirk.Grant wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 1:02 pm
Chris Dickson wrote:
Chris, welcome to the forum! So glad to have another person ITB (I'm not anymore) to add to the forum. One of my friends in our local tasting group is working for a distributor. I hope you are doing ok, it's tough when times like this shift people away or down in price. I know after 2008 we saw the average price/bottle shift from $23 down to $16 in the small shop I used to work in. Of course Bangor, Maine is not really a hot-bed of wine activity.
Hopefully, people are finding out that there are Great wines like Twill, which Chris makes, at price points that are very reasonable even when times are tough. His wines, like Vincent’s, are great quality and underpriced!
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Marshall Manning » May 23rd, 2020, 3:10 pm

Chris Dickson wrote:
Welcome, Chris. I've really liked the wines I've tried from Twill. We need to come back and taste again once you're open.
Marshall

Justin S

#75 Post by Justin S » May 24th, 2020, 9:38 am

Eric @ Sec is great. My card number has changed 2-3 times over the years causing some charge declines when shipping weather arrived and Eric was chill about it.
$ ! n g h

Eric W
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Eric W » May 24th, 2020, 4:39 pm

I have only good things to say about Eric:

* In relation to a couple credit card issues on my side (i.e. not his fault) over the years, he handled them with patience.
* When there was a honest mistake with an order of mine once, he went out of his way to more than make up for it.
* Though a smaller shop, he's had a few old world wines I couldn't find elsewhere in the Pacific Northwest.
* His prices are always very competitive.
* Though my ordering has decreased (due to more than sufficient inventory on my part and a desire to buy locally and/or directly from select, small PNW producers), he has remained just as friendly and service-oriented.
E _ W i 1 s o n

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by dsGriswold » May 24th, 2020, 6:42 pm

I started buying from Sec when Alberty shut down Storyteller on his recommendation, I think that was before Vinopolis moved to their new location near my place of business. Very pleased and Eric always takes my shippers, he says he uses them. A lot of BD wines this year along with local deliveries. I usually buy my Cameron and Goodfellow from him to keep the shipper connection alive. Got a call one day from Eric saying Marcus thought I might be interested in the latest Pinot, so yes I bought a few. It's an easy pick up only about 20 blocks away. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

Chris Dickson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Chris Dickson » June 1st, 2020, 5:48 pm

Kirk.Grant wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 1:02 pm

Hi Kirk, thank you! I'm sorry it took me this long to respond, spring is always a bit crazy. We are doing fine at the moment, though it's anyone's guess on what's to come. I know that quite a few of us are heading into the growing season without too many adjustments, though as always, prudence will be important.
ITB
Twill Cellars

Chris Dickson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Chris Dickson » June 1st, 2020, 5:53 pm

Marshall Manning wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 3:10 pm

Welcome, Chris. I've really liked the wines I've tried from Twill. We need to come back and taste again once you're open.
Thank you, Marshall. Please feel free to send me a note if you are ever wanting to come by and taste. We are likely going to keep our tasting room to reservations once we reopen, and I am more than happy to schedule appointments throughout the week as well. Hope to meet you sometime this summer.
ITB
Twill Cellars

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Peter Petersen » June 1st, 2020, 6:58 pm

I’ve not bought from Sec, but I just got a rec for buying Italian from there, and I definitely will. Selection and prices look excellent.

Question: Does geek alert mean the wines are particularly recommended?

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Marshall Manning » June 1st, 2020, 7:42 pm

Peter Petersen wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 6:58 pm
Question: Does geek alert mean the wines are particularly recommended?
I think that's just Eric's way of saying that it's a wine for those with more geeky, off-the-beaten-path palates. Or those who like trying things that are different.
Marshall

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Peter Petersen » June 2nd, 2020, 8:19 am

Thanks! Ordered a case including one Geek Alert.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Brandon R » June 2nd, 2020, 8:45 am

Yes, piling on as well. 100% excellent experiences with Eric and Sec. Order with confidence.
B. Redman

Nathan V.

#84 Post by Nathan V. » June 2nd, 2020, 9:24 am

I don't order a lot from Eric and only know him virtually but we have a few friends in common who all hold him in the highest regard and by the transitive property, I do too.

Coincidentally, I just ordered some wine from him last week. Hard to source wine at an good price but equally important thing is that Sec takes provenance and storage seriously.

I also love it that he fires customers. It's really not worth it to deal with dipshits and the sense of entitlement and lack of class of some wine collectors is astonishing.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

asnitow

#85 Post by asnitow » June 2nd, 2020, 2:33 pm

Always very positive experiences with Eric and Sec. The wisdom of the crowd is apparent.
alan snitow

AstridKG

#86 Post by AstridKG » June 2nd, 2020, 8:24 pm

Purchased a case of champagne from Sec without any issues.
A. K 3 3 L

Return to “Wine Talk”