TN: '05 KB Garys', '07 Fogdog, `09 Drew Family Valenti

• 2005 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (10/30/2011)
    Dark Garnet red, translucent.
    Intriguing nose of ocean spray, brown spice, cedar, sappy red cherries and mincemeat pie. Can really smell Monterey in the glass. Medium + weight and medium + acidity, silky mouthfeel. Finishes rather hot with a distinct cherry infused vodka aftertaste.
    In retrospect, this invokes more grenache notes than it does Pinot Noir for my palate. It is still quite tasty, but a total bruiser of a wine.
  • 2007 Freestone Pinot Noir Fogdog Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/27/2011)
    Dark ruby, nice clarity. Nose of black cherries, raspberry, crushed rock and gingerbread. Medium bodied, bright acidity and pure, clean flavor on the palate. Nice, cream and red fruit laced finish. Extremely well made. This is a very good wine, and one that is a definite “buy” at the $30 price tag.
  • 2009 Drew Family Cellars Pinot Noir Valenti Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino Ridge (10/23/2011)
    Great structure in this wine. High toned, dark red fruit ~ raspberry, pomegranate, black cherries, roses, laced with cardamom and gingerbread. Lively on the palate with high acidity and medium plus tannins and a wonderful fruit and herb profile. This should age gracefully.

Posted from CellarTracker

I had a bottle of the same 2007 Fogdog PN [Sonoma Coast] over the last few nights. Its a solid citizen, although starting to fade a bit now. It is shortening up on the palate, fading in 10-15 seconds. It’s a good wine to enjoy by itself - I didn’t find that the acidity required food or anything. Likable stuff but I’d give it a B or so and would not go out of my way to repurchase.

The whole Freestone / Phelps relationship is a little confusing to me.

What ever happened to Fogdog? It seems to be about 5 years. What was the source and who has it now?

05 KB SVDs were pretty much peak bigness for CA Pinot. I think the appeal of those would have mostly been in their youth.

My latest shipment of KB has 14.1 ABV. It’s not Kutch by any means, but a big change from 15 years ago.

If I remember correctly, FogDog was Phelps’s burgundian label coming from their Freestone property. Do they now just label it as Phelps or? Have not kept up with them.

Cheers.

When I checked Fogdog, 2013 was the last year on Wine Searcher. I’m not sure if it was a sourcing, or label change. It’s been a long time since I have seen it. Here is the most recent.

https://www.artisanwinedepot.com/Joseph_Phelps_Pinot_Noir_Freestone_Vineyard_2017_p/josephphelpspinotfreestone17-w.htm

From Phelps web page.
https://www.josephphelps.com/sonoma-coast/