07 Giacosa Roero Arneis, 96 Produttori, 00 Manzoni

TN: 07 GIACOSA ROERO ARNEIS, 96 PRODUTTORI MONTESTEFANO, 00 MANZONI "BRICCO MANZONI) - Oliveto Restaurant, Rockridge (Oakland, CA) (2/4/2009)

Last night Traci and I met Jason Brandt Lewis and his wife Lynn for dinner at Oliveto Restaurant. Last night was their “Whole Hog” Night with a menu dedicated to all things pig, from tail to snout. We ate very well - dishes posted on Food Forum. As usual, we had a terrific time discussing everything from horses to wine to travel around the country…Here are the wines.

• 2007 Bruno Giacosa Roero Arneis - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Roero DOC
    This was terrific and accompanied the antipasti. It’s lean and rich, racy with white flowers, citrus, some pear and a nice dose of clean wet crushed rocks coming through. Superb and will get better with a little air. (90 pts.)
  • 1996 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Montestefano - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    This wine accompanied the pasta courses and even though it was decanted it is a baby…tight. Crushed red cherries, a hint of anise, lots of acid but not so much the acid will outlive the fruit…just didn’t seem to pop open last night…wait another 3-5 years on this if you have it - if this bottle was representative. 91+ (91 pts.)
  • 2000 Podere Rocche dei Manzoni Langhe Bricco Manzoni - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
    This accompanied the main courses. Much more open and fleshier than the Produttori. Red cherries, a little hint of chocolate/cocoa, fuller mouth feel with seemingly less acid than the Produttori. Really nice but a touch less complex overall than the Produttori…yummy though! (90 pts.)

Tony - I went to the Food Forum to see the food notes, and couldn’t find it…I’d love to see what you had with these wines, particularly the Produttori

Thanks Tony. I have a bottle of the Arneis that will probably be busted out this summer. Terrific wines.

It’s up now…rocking dinner.

Went to a Rare Wine Co tasting of Produttori Barbarescos in NYC a few weeks ago. We didn’t have the 96 Montestefano, but the four 96s we had all seemed very tight to me.

I think Mannie said something about doing a SF-area tasting in a few months. Well worth doing!

BTW did anyone invite JBL to post here? He’s one of the better posters elsewhere.