What is the best single bottle of PORT you've had in 2011?

I know it won’t be easy to choose just oneneener

As the nights will soon begin to cool off it is time to stand up a Vintage Port. I do not think I opened a bottle last winter so it is time to get cracking.

Either a 1983 Dow with crossed fingers or 1985 Graham.

Decant either for 8 hours or so for maximum pleasure.

2007 Dow Vintage Port, after about 60 hours in the decanter.

Easy choice,63 taylor mind blowing flirtysmile

1985 Fonseca, but still very primary. Two days after opening the bottle it was simply stunning.

2003 Grahams was intense and thrilling last Spring.

1977 Dow.

At the other end of the spectrum…Two nights ago had the 2009 Fonseca Vintage at the NY Wine Spectator event and it was unbelievable. Mindblowing in all regards. Can’t wait to have it again in 20 years…

1963 Graham’s

1963 FONSECA VINTAGE PORT - by far the best I had this year

1994 Fonseca - so young, but so full of promise

I think my current rate is about 1 bottle of Port per year… easy question!

1977 Graham’s Vintage Port generously brought up from Atlanta by Todd and Maria in town for a convention which they shared with Michael Grammer and at dinner on Thursday night.

I am in that camp. So far, I have had only 1 for the year . . .but it was a great bottle. Mesmerizing.
A 2007 Quinta do Noval. Opened a half bottle and drank out of a plastic cup while sailing. Just packed with everything that was good.
It ranks up there with one of the best wines that I tasted in 2011 (and that includes sampling about 50 wines at a Gambero Rosso Tre Biccieri event).
Plastic cup, outside in the open air, having to focus on wind direction, sails, waves, etc. and this wine still rocked my boat.

Can’t remember which vintage ports I’ve had this year, so the single best bottle is a Taylor Fladgate 40 year old tawny.

1945 Grahams VP was stunningly magnificent.

In a year where I have had a number of truly amazing wines (11 bottles of Faiveley Musigny including 2 x 1947, DRC and Leflaive Montrachets, 1961 top Bordeaux, etc…) this is easily amongst the very top, if not the top wine I have had…

The Taylor Scion, a tawny from 1855. Unbelievably complex.
Best vintage was 1994 Dow; the plushness of the vintage really suited the more austere Dow style, and this is certainly the best Dow I have ever had.

I forgot about this one. Fred and Robin opened a bottle this summer, and I agree on both accounts.

Niepoort 1900

Keith L. wrote:
I think my current rate is about 1 bottle of Port per year… easy question!

Brilliant response Keith, so what is your answer, it should be equally as easy. I assume you haven’t forgotten the one bottle you had? [stirthepothal.gif]