TN: 2003 Grand Veneur CdP, 2006 Qupe Syrah

2003 Dom. Grand Veneur CdP
Regular bottling. $40 Ohio. Ruby/purple in color, mostly opaque and bright. The nose is cherries and raspberries but also a prune note. Full bodied. On the palate, this has a good amount of prunes to it. Not stewed just prunes. Also some raspberries. It seems a bit shut down from the last bottle I remember. Certainly, this seems to show the heat of the vintage at this point in its life cycle. I think this is probably not a good time to be opening these and I would let them rest for a while. 50+3+12+16+6=87

2006 Qupe Syrah Central Coast
$18 Ohio. Purple in color, opaque and bright. The nose has black raspberries, grilled meat, some black pepper and some roasted herbs. Medium bodied. On the palate, this has black cherries and some peppery notes. Easy to drink. An excellent value for Syrah. 50+4+12+16+6=88

Bought a case of this around 3 years ago, as well as half a case of the Les Origines of the same vintage. I wound up giving most of them away as Christmas gifts but tried a couple first. For whatever it’s worth, I liked the regular bottling more than the Les Origines at the time - too much wood in the latter, in my opinion. The regular bottle seemed to have better balance.

The Grand Veneur is about 2 years into shutting down. When it came out it was my go to CdP, but then it started to show less and less. Also I paid quite a bit less than $40. [beee.gif]

Otto