TN: Boris (the dog) turned 1 yesterday, so we drank some wine!!

1999 Cuvée William Duetz; Champagne Duetz
yeasty, bready, round, lemon, apple, cooked apples, chalk, minerals, delicate, poised but with nice light creamy characters and development. Earth, soil, minerals, a touch of wild strawberry and White strawberry. Fresh, balanced and with a good rounded finish. Poised and delicate, subtle and never showy. Showing both vintage and Duetz character nicely. Round, subtle and with complex concentration; building delicate weight with more and more air. Asparagus, grass, herbs, lemon juice, lime, green apple, almond syrup and nuts, really really lovely! ******+ or [4+4.5+4.5+4.5=17.5+?/20]

2004 Les Jassettes, Côtes du Roussillon Villages elevé en Fûts de Chêne: Domaine Comelade
a touch of vanilla and reduction, earth, sous bois, cedar, tobacco and rich ripe plum, cassis and jam; there is some oak here but it is integrated and whilst there are signs of wear and tear, it is the most youthful bottle and still has a lot of time to go and shows nice earthy, fruit-driven length. A touch of underlying cranberry. Fairly modern but with poise and good concentration. Fairly floral, perfumed, dark plum. Leather, meat. Actually fairly big; not overly so, but fairly! Quite sweet… Easily youthful and if it wasn’t for more advanced delicate, developed bottles, I would worry about this. I good wine without a huge amount of complexity; good with our wonderful Charterlay (? Or Charleroi ?) steak; but at the end of the day it is more of a crowd pleaser than a great wine! Balanced… And well made. ***(+) or [4+4+4.5+4=16.5/20]

We put a bit of each into a separate bowl for Boris to slurp on, and he munched the corks as usual. He seems a bit sleepy today… Perhaps the sun, a hangover and adulthood has got to him?? :wink: :eek:

Deutz has long been a favourite of mine. Have you tried the 02 Willi yet?

Dare I ask if Boris is a Beagle? newhere

Haven’t tried the 02 yet… Should be good though!

Boris is indeed a Beagle neener

\

I am here: Google Maps

Can you imagine how intense Boris’ wine experience must be?!

Suddenly acquiring a beagle’s olfactory sense would probably kill a berserker.

Happy Birthday Boris!!! Deutz is truly fantastic and under rated.

You should have seen him when I let him lick the bottle top of my 08 Savigny-Les-Beaune 1er Cru “Les Serpentières” two nights ago, he was going bonkers and started baying/crying when I took the bottle away! He likes his reds and sparklers, whites to a lesser extent, but that was the first time I’ve seen him almost get angry/depressed to get hold of a wine…

… Although he had a full glass of Ray Walker’s stuff there once!

When he was only the size of a bottle of wine in standing up length and we had just moved, I had a bag full of empty bottles that were ones we were keeping for the wall of fame! He spent most of the time when near there licking the bottles, and now he runs towards me to steal the corks as soon as I open a bottle. We worry that he is eating the soaked end, but gives them a good chew and plays with them. To put it lightly, he really likes wines/beers and spirits (although I don’t pour any spirits out for him) just a sniff!

Now I sound bonkers! pileon [cheers.gif]

Deutz certainly is hugely underrated. 88s in Magnum are still youthful and wonderful.

I’m going to try that at the next tasting.