Diversity of Languedoc Roussillon

Today I came across some incredible weird and wonderful grape varieties that I had never heard of before. I wrote about them http://bellawines.blogspot.com/. The Languedoc Roussillon area really has some special treats. Have you ever tried a Listan, or a Caladoc?

Caladoc is a Grenache x Malbec cross.
Listan is known as Palomino or Palomino de Jerez in Spain, and made into Sherry and sherry-like fortified wines.

The only variety named in the blog you linked that I hadn’t heard of is Egiodolan/Egiodola.
Here’s its story: Tales from Languedoc Wine Country: Egiodola

And Listan is also as respected as Palomino in Spain! In other words, it’s grown in a very tight little area. Still, I think it’s cool that there are all those grapes and that people are making wine from them. Most of them suck, but that’s not even something I’d hold against them - better known grapes have had years of work from many people.

Marselan for example, is a fairly “new” grape in that it’s origin isn’t lost in the midst of time. Some people reject it for that very reason but some growers are doing interesting wine with it, mostly in blends tho. Still, in fifty years, one of those may be the grapes that the world falls in love with.

It’s a good post Hamish. I tend to seek out those kinds of grapes so I’m glad someone else finds them interesting! [cheers.gif]

Thanks Robert and Greg. It is fun and interesting seeing these kind of grapes and tasting them. There is a block of Listan planted interspersed with Grenache in a vineyard near my house. In fact many of the old plantings (60 year old and more) were several different grape varieties within one block. A nightmare to decide maturity and picking times, but presumably everything co ferments and blends in the tank/vats!
Sometimes one can get in a rut with Sauvignon blanc, chardonnay, merlot, syrah and Cabs. I love Vermentino (if it is well made) and I like playing with Sauv Blanc/ Vermentino and Muscat blends.

Grenache and Pinot Noir are my “in a rut” varieties.

Recent “climb out of the rut” experiences or purchases - none, sadly, from the Languedoc - include:

• Sauvignon Blanc (Menetou-Salon, Dom. de Chatenoy)
  • Trousseau and Ribolla Gialla (Arnot-Roberts)
  • Petite Manseng (Tiger Mountain Vyds.)
  • Muscat of Alexandria (Sierras de Málaga DOC, Botani Moscatel Seco, Jorge Ordonez)
  • Cabernet Franc (Guilliams Vineyards)
  • Sauvignon Blanc (Gamble Family Vyds.)
  • Chenin Blanc (Savennieres, Ch. de Chamboureau)
  • Corvina Veronese (Valpolicella Ripasso, Corte Majoli)
  • Negroamaro (Salice Salentino, Caleo)
  • Chardonnay (Smith-Madrone Vyds. & Winery)

Tonight I’ll dive back into the rut: a tasting of 2009 Burgundies.