TN: 2002 Henri Perrot-Minot Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru La Combe d'Orveau

• 2002 Henri Perrot-Minot Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru La Combe d’Orveau - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (6/10/2009)
    Interesting.
    I’ve had this bottling at least 3 times before, but not for a few years.
    Last time on CT says late '06.
    My notes from then indicate that the wine had begun the integration process, nice kirsch flavors, good length, smooth with balance, and lots of Chambollle typicity.
    This time, pretty different.
    Like a time machine, this tasted much younger. Acid, tannin (yep, a little tannin), primary fruit. Dark and thick. I would have guesses a high-end Calif Pinot from one of the ‘extractor’ producers.
    The wine was drinkable and enjoyable, but more in a Calif Syrah way vs a lacy Burgundy.
    I think this wine is going to need 10 years to integrate and really show it’s stuff.
    Now, here’s the funny part. The 3 bottles I drank back in '06 came from a US retailer, through the US distribution channel.
    The bottle I drank last night came from a case that I direct-imported a few years ago from London.
    So, a much better chance that the bottle I had last night never saw any mishandling, heat, etc. It went directly from the UK bonded storage to a temp controlled shipper to my cellar.
    My best guess, somewhere along the line, the other bottles saw more ‘rough handling’ which advanced their theoretical age.
    Last night’s wine was just too young!!!
    So, is this a case for heating up your winecellars a little?
    :slight_smile: (86 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Just to be clear on the score. I could have gone for anywhere from an 85 to an 88 for today’s drinking. My best guess is that this will become a 92-94 point Burg with the proper amt of time…

So, you’re coming around!

Thanks, Peter.

I had the 1999 version of this last June and I have to say my feeling on that one was that it was definitely from the big extraction camp. Interestingly, though, in many ways it felt more ready to drink than the basic Chambolle VV, which was charmless and primary.

1999 Perrot-Minot Chambolle-Musginy 1er Cru La Combe d’Orveau. The pedigree compared to the basic VV is evident right off the bat. It is massive compared to the other wines on the table, yet it manages to show some decided charm (unlike the basic VV). Warm raspberries, creamy berry spread, tomato leaf, faint cedar and white pepper aromas show emerging depth and complexity. In the mouth, it has more density and weightiness than anything else on the table. It is rich and thick and rounded, yet fresh and juicy and engaging. Flavors of mixed berries and dark chocolate lead to a clean and well-balanced finish that shows a bit of fine wood. This should be even better in 10 years.

-Michael

I don’t like the extraction or the oak in P-M. The late '90s wines are undrinkable now, IMO.
This decade he refined the style (mostly less oak) and the last couple of vintages are still pretty extracted but better.

I’ve tasted the 04, a few months ago, and I thought it was utterly delicious - a little earth on the palate, some puckering tannins that drew you in for more - how do the other vintages people have had compare? (if you’ve had them both)

Nah, I still like some fruit in my glass of dirt!

[rofl.gif]