TN: Chateau Margaux 1967

My first tasting note on the WB board, gonna give it my best shot. Here goes:
Opened Tuesday, March 30th. Decanted and served at cellar temperature in small sips over the course of an hour and a half to a group of 5 people.

After a careful preparation and uncorking, we unveiled an “off” vintage Ch. Margaux (1967) only to experience…
Colour: Ruby->brick in the middle and orange-> clear on the rim
Medium plus concentration towards the center of the cup

At first nose and whiff, hay and barnyard greet you and open up to peripheral notes of sour cherry, ripe blackberry and black tea. On the palate we confirmed loads of old musty currant, black tea and old Spanish cedar cigar box. Roasted soba with a salted beef reduction and soy was present, possibly an effect of it’s age, played nicely with the aforementioned fruit components. Medium plus to high acid and generous tannins were holding up nicely providing plenty of backbone and structure for a light and dry finish.

What is the wine doing?
It lures you in with initial wafts of mocha and hay, displaying wonderful acidity that rolls fruit and non-fruit components across the palate. At the moment your tongue grabs hold of the tannins or vice-versa, a mushroomy/forest floor compote blasts you in the face with soothing caramelized/bruleed toastiness of spiced olives and sweet tobacco. The finish lingers on for minutes at a time leaving you with long moments of deep, yet capricious moments of contemplation.

Cheers, hope y’all enjoy.
“I was once young and vibrant, I am now aged and majestic. Take me now, I am in my weaning years”.

Sweet tobacco; a hallmark of old Margaux and something I found likewise in the '69.

Thanks for posting a great note JP.