What do you do when your friend brings swill to your house for a dinner party?

What do you do when your friend brings swill to a dinner party at your house?

• Politely tell them you have already selected wines to pair with the food
  • Never invite them again
  • Tell them that you outgrew that swill when you graduated from college
  • Ask where they bought it and never go there
  • Suggest that you have too much wine so next time, bring dessert
  • Quickly pour it into the stew so they know you’ve put it to good use
  • Open it and pray as you take a sip
  • Open it and claim it is corked, but not to worry, you will return it for a replacement
  • Other - explain below
  • Blame Posner
  • Blame Parker
  • Blame Laube
  • Blame Brad Kane

0 voters

We have a couple that we frequently invite to our house for dinner and they always bing a bottle or two of wine. With one interesting Portugese exception that was a blend of Syrah and Touriga Nacional, it’s always some kind of below-mediocre red swill. I always thank then profusely and tell them that I’ve got a special line up of wines already in decanters that I’ve specially prepared with the food, so I ask if it’s OK for me to cellar their wine for another occasion. They always agree. This last time, they even commented about how they had taken their game to a higher level and produced a bottle that is a grocery store shelf regular (Odd, because grocery stores can’t sell win in New York) that has an 82 pt CT average rating only because one person liked astringent tea bags (not a political comment) and gave it an 85 twice.

How do you deal with this issue, which I’m sure many of you face on a regular basis?

Jay,

I would say if the person(s) are wine geeks, there is no excuse, thus they deserve an especially humiliating punishment. If they are merely average people, let it slide.

Flawed poll: there’s no option for blaming Brad Kane. pepsi

Fixed.

I never open them. Instead keep them for cooking, sangria, or bringing to other peoples houses where yellow tail is considered a luxury cuvee.

Other:
A. Put it in a specially marked decanter, that looks like the decanter with the real wine so I can switch them quickly to pour the plonk to miscreant.

B. Open it as the last bottle, late. The others either won’t care or won’t drink it. If there’s any left, send it home with the miscreant. Why ruin good food cooking with it.

Open it. Then, hopefully, they’ll drink more of what they brought and less of the good shit.

I’d prefer to blame Mayor Bloomberg. If not, at the very least Gov. Christie.

Winner!

Blame Posner. ALWAYS

Jay we love you no matter what you bring :slight_smile: come see the kid whose pics you took when he was just born.

Send them a link to this thread.

My answer is: if they are good friends / good people, then it doesn’t matter. Some things are more important than wine.

If they know better / are just the type to be cheap and contribute less than everyone else, that’s a different story.

Fixed

Bingo! Open it immediately and pour them a BIG glass.

Yep, rip the cork. Meanwhile bring out more glassware and pour the wines that you planned to pour.

I almost always have a lineup ready, so I definitely don’t open it that day.

Stash it away for regifting or large parties and assume that the donor has read Miss Manners and knows that you bring a bottle as a gift to the host(ess) and should not expect it to be poured that night.

The friends that aren’t wine geeks never, ever bring wine, knowing I have always got it 150% covered…

Those that are wine geeks always bring the right things (GC Burg’s…). [wink.gif]

The Count reappears just when Landreth disappears. Coincidence? I don’t think so. We just got the better of the trade.

Let’s see. I brought a Termes to your house that day, right?