TN: 1994 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate

• 1994 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/29/2011)
    After about an hour, this really opened up nicely. Pretty fruit, nice structure and a beautiful balance. Personally, this wine is at its peak – at least to my taste – but I’m sure it will continue to age gracefully for a long while. Always been one of my favorite producers and this wine is no exception. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I agree that this is a beautiful wine. Had a bottle (not mine, but purchased on release) this summer and ours was very nice, even “lush”, with a minimal amount of air. I didn’t get back to it after the intial glass, but did hear from two of the tasters that it started to fade more quickly than expected. Did you see that at all with yours?

The '92 I had earlier this year was fantastic and didn’t last long enough to fall apart.

It was opened about 2 hours before finish and didn’t notice any fading. My experience with Montelena is that they will easily last 25 years, but generally I like them between 15 and 20.

If you guys get a chance to try the 91, it is really good. I have some 1994, it may be time to open one.

Maybe my favorite CA cab producer. Just love this wine.

Might take one down weds. That or '97? Anyone have a '97 recently?

97 could use some time IMHO -I had one last year, not closed, but a bit one dimensional. The 94’s need to be consumed soon based on the last 3 I tried. A cold cellar, maybe you have more time.

The '91 might be my all time favorite wine.